PDA

View Full Version : Raquet strings broke

Hot Sauce
09-15-2006, 06:34 PM
My friend's raquet strings broke on a serve and we know little to nothing about stringing raquets. But I have read around here that the tension and type of strings you choose are important. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

diredesire
09-15-2006, 07:01 PM
Yes, they are important. With the information you have given: I cannot give you a recommendation.

You can start by:

giving us the type of player, the preferences of the player, the racquet, previous set up ;)

It'll really help us.

Hot Sauce
09-15-2006, 08:45 PM
Okay, so the raquet he uses is a Head Liquidmetal 1 with a previous setup of 16x19 stringing, a headsize of 710cm2, the Rec.String Tension is 27 +/-2kp 59 +/-5lbs, and it says for Optimum Performance use Head Control Strings. As for his playing style - He doesn't hit hard, he likes to put top spin on, doesn't slice, doesn't play net, and doesn't volley alot (sometimes).

diredesire
09-15-2006, 08:51 PM
How fast did he break his previous set of strings?

If it took him a while (3 months +) i'd suggest maybe a multifilament of some sort (Wilson Sensation, Tecnifibre 515, Tecnifibre Multi-feel, etc). You can search for these on TW's website using their "String Finder" tool.

That head size and string pattern isn't exactly friendly for string durability, as strings will tend to move a lot, so it's useful to know exactly how long his strings lasted him.

If you are on a budget, or would like as cheap as possible, a Basic syn gut like Prince syn gut w/ DF, or Gosen OG-Sheep Micro, Gamma Syn gut, Wilson syn gut (They all make various kinds of syn gut) are all good choices. A 16g syn gut is (in my eyes) the "basic" starter string. When you decide that you want something more (more spin, more power, more control, more durability, a combination of these) you can look into trying new things.

What is he looking for in his new set(s) of strings? If he's just looking for a basic, all around string, Prince Syn gut w/ DF is more or less the industry "standard" string.

Hot Sauce
09-15-2006, 09:10 PM
It took him over a year to break the original strings (wow eh?) and he is on somewhat of a budget, cuz his mother is paying for the strings.

Valjean
09-16-2006, 08:16 AM
You can certainly go with Head's recommended string, Control. You may not find it at the store, though. Try for a Wilson or Prince string then. Prince Synthetic Gut with Duraflex or Wilson's Stamina resemble Head Control. Since it took him over a year to break his string, though, he might try Prince Original or Wilson Extreme Synthetic Gut, if he can say he wants a bit more power or comfort.