PDA

View Full Version : Redondo MP vs Kinetic 5g

scotus
09-15-2006, 11:09 PM
Does anyone know which racquet would be better in terms of arm-friendliness?

Kinetic 5g has the so-called "Kinetic Technology." It seems that this technology is for real, and many people attest to the racquet's arm-friendliness.

Redondo lacks the special technology but is heavier and much flexier.

So which one? Has anyone played with both? If not, any educated guesses?

SteveI
09-16-2006, 04:15 AM
Does anyone know which racquet would be better in terms of arm-friendliness?

Kinetic 5g has the so-called "Kinetic Technology." It seems that this technology is for real, and many people attest to the racquet's arm-friendliness.

Redondo lacks the special technology but is heavier and much flexier.

So which one? Has anyone played with both? If not, any educated guesses?

Hi,

The 5G has been the gold standard for arm-friendliness for years. I am guessing that the Redondo would be a very safe frame but the 5G was designed for just that purpose "arm-friendliness". Here is a ton of feedback and even suggests that players with tennis elbow and other related arm issues have contunied to play thur these problems using the 5G. Yes.. and one of the racket technolgies that almost all on this board agree really works is the "Kinetic" system. That fact alone should tell us something. BTW the 5G really plays much softer than the posted RA and is not all that light at 11.8 to 12.0 oz. With a basic vibration dampener and one overgrip mine was about 12.1 oz.

Regards,
Steve

Polaris
09-17-2006, 01:12 AM
Scotus, I demoed both these rackets, and bought the Redondo 98. I liked the 5g, but I found the impact sort of dead, and the racquet very low-powered. It has only a 6 point difference in swingweight compared to the redondo 98 (318 vs 324), but I felt that the 5g swung like a toothpick, but didn't give me too much power unless my swing was very fast and accurate. The impact is nicely damped on the 5g, but the feel is quite dead. With the redondo, a dampener works wonders and minimizes vibration, and if you hit the sweetspot, the sound that the racquet makes is to die for.

To prevent repeating myself, I'll just link to the thread in which I demoed the racquets. The 5g comparison appears at the end of the thread.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=113092

My suggestion is to demo both racquets. Also, rest assured that whichever of the two racquets you end up choosing, you won't be making a blunder. They are both quite good.

Court_Jester
09-17-2006, 01:49 AM
Scotus, I demoed both these rackets, and bought the Redondo 98. I liked the 5g, but I found the impact sort of dead, and the racquet very low-powered. It has only a 6 point difference in swingweight compared to the redondo 98 (318 vs 324), but I felt that the 5g swung like a toothpick, but didn't give me too much power unless my swing was very fast and accurate.
I had the opposite experience with the Redondo 98. I almost bought one after seeing all the positive feedback on the boards but when I demoed it, good thing I didn't. Although both racquets were very easy on the elbow and arm, I didn't like the way Redondo felt at all. It's kinda hard to explain it so I also suggest that you demo it. You might like it. I simply prefer my 5G to the Redondo.

scotus
09-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Thank you all.

SteveI: I have been meaning to try out the 5g. I hope it works as well as people say it does.

Polaris: Your review is very intriguing. One of these days I will indeed try out the Redondo.

CJ: Would you say 5g is more arm-friendly than your Volkl DNX 10? DNX10MP is my current racquet, but it puts a lot of stress on my forearm extensors (more towards the wrist than elbow), and once my forearm was compromised, my TE came back, and I use 53 lbs with Klip Legend.

louis netman
09-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Not implying that you are not a clean ball striker, but the DNX frames are fine for centered shots, however they get harsh on off center hits. You may like the 5g due to the Kinetic system working even on off center shots...Add some lead to 3 & 9, throw on some leather (weight it up like your DNX) and it's a great, arm-friendly performer all over the court. You will have to get over the swishing sound, however...

scotus
09-17-2006, 09:16 PM
Not implying that you are not a clean ball striker, but the DNX frames are fine for centered shots, however they get harsh on off center hits. You may like the 5g due to the Kinetic system working even on off center shots...Add some lead to 3 & 9, throw on some leather (weight it up like your DNX) and it's a great, arm-friendly performer all over the court. You will have to get over the swishing sound, however...

DNX10 is fine on ground strokes. Where it gets me is when I volley, especially the forehand side.

I hit my forehand volley with my wrist fully cocked (extended, that is) with a continental grip (slightly to the backhand eastern side), and I hit a lot of volleys due to my S&V style of play. I volley well enough to have beaten some 5.0 baseliners, but perhaps I need a change in my technique?

Volkl racquets seem to be hard on my forearm. Even C10PT felt a bit hard, and DNX is definitely worse.

For some reason, my other racquets which are supposed to be stiffer than these Volkls are nicer on my forearm.

louis netman
09-17-2006, 09:23 PM
DNX10 is fine on ground strokes. Where it gets me is when I volley, especially the forehand side.

I hit my forehand volley with my wrist fully cocked (extended, that is) with a continental grip (slightly to the backhand eastern side), and I hit a lot of volleys due to my S&V style of play. I volley well enough to have beaten some 5.0 baseliners, but perhaps I need a change in my technique?

Volkl racquets seem to be hard on my forearm. Even C10PT felt a bit hard, and DNX is definitely worse.

For some reason, my other racquets which are supposed to be stiffer than these Volkls are nicer on my forearm.

Try changing to a softer string or gut and/or maybe dropping a bit of tension before swapping out your frames. What string are you currently using?

scotus
09-17-2006, 09:31 PM
I use Klip Legend coated gut in the main and Yonex 880 Ti Soft in the cross at 53 lbs with CP electronic machine.

By the way, for a gut, Klip Legend feels very stiff.

Court_Jester
09-18-2006, 02:30 AM
CJ: Would you say 5g is more arm-friendly than your Volkl DNX 10? DNX10MP is my current racquet, but it puts a lot of stress on my forearm extensors (more towards the wrist than elbow), and once my forearm was compromised, my TE came back, and I use 53 lbs with Klip Legend.
Hmmm,...

These are two of my most arm-friendly racquets that I have but I'll have to give the edge to the 5G. When my arm is sore from playing but still want to continue, I find myself reaching for the 5G.

Keifers
09-18-2006, 12:06 PM
I use Klip Legend coated gut in the main and Yonex 880 Ti Soft in the cross at 53 lbs with CP electronic machine.

I tried Klip Legend gut last year and had a similar experience -- it felt way stiffer than any nat gut I'd ever tried, so much so that I cut it out and went back to Babolat and BDE. Too bad because I really wanted to like the Klip.

basil J
09-18-2006, 12:42 PM
I found the same thing with Klip Gut legend. It plays stiff for a gut, but I found that I could string it 2-3# lower than vs gut and still get excellent play out of it.

louis netman
09-18-2006, 10:30 PM

I like Klip in flexy frames cause it's nice & crisp...You may want to try Pacific gut and drop your cross tension to 51 or 50....see what happens...

kenyee
09-19-2006, 10:41 AM
Ditto on the Klip Legend...my first impression was "boardy". Left it in the closet for 3 months and it was ok, but I'm back to BDE Perf...

Keifers
09-19-2006, 10:58 AM
Ditto on the Klip Legend...my first impression was "boardy". Left it in the closet for 3 months and it was ok, but I'm back to BDE Perf...
Yeah, wish I'd known to string it at lower than normal tension. Based on my experience, would definitely recommend against prestretching.

kenyee
09-20-2006, 04:24 PM
Mine was strung by the TW folks, so I'd hope they'd know about prestretching. They didn't reply to my comments about it (some folks here suggested I ask)...