PDA

View Full Version : TournaGrip

Lleytian3
09-16-2006, 12:43 AM
I know the pete sampras sponsors this tourna grip and all. and it really isnt the best stuff. i think it is really crapy and junk. it has no durability and all and it just doesn't feel good. i was wondering if sampras really used this stuff. i mean i just dont think he did use this, if so what kinf of overgrip did he use??? anyone know???

Janne
09-16-2006, 01:06 AM
He used tournagrip.

vinnier6
09-16-2006, 06:41 AM
He used tournagrip.
not only did pete samprass use tournagrip, but so does about 75% of all pros use tournagrip...its not designed to last, its made to obsorb sweat...if you dont like it then try something else, but keep in mind that overgrips arent meant to last they are made so you can have a fresh grip everytime you play...

tennis-skater
09-16-2006, 07:02 AM
and there sponsered so they dont care about how many they use because they have like a bag of 500 in there racket bag

Janne
09-16-2006, 09:33 AM
tennis-skater: I think the reason why Tournagrip is so special is because of the fact that the players ARENT sponsored by Unique but are still using their overgrip because they just love the feel of it.

CoconutGT
09-16-2006, 10:52 AM
It's personal preference. I myself have tried different varieties of grips (Yonex, Tourna, Wilson, etc..). The bottom line is what the majority think is best (for them) does not mean that it will be best (for you). Choose what you think is best for you.

snoflewis
09-16-2006, 11:07 AM
I know the pete sampras sponsors this tourna grip and all. and it really isnt the best stuff. i think it is really crapy and junk. it has no durability and all and it just doesn't feel good. i was wondering if sampras really used this stuff. i mean i just dont think he did use this, if so what kinf of overgrip did he use??? anyone know???

believe it or not....just because you don't like it, doesnt mean someone else won't like it.

Zets147
09-16-2006, 11:38 AM
It's personal preference. I myself have tried different varieties of grips (Yonex, Tourna, Wilson, etc..). The bottom line is what the majority think is best (for them) does not mean that it will be best (for you). Choose what you think is best for you.

Just use Wilson Pro Overgrip is what this post is saying.

vinnier6
09-16-2006, 02:10 PM
i personally have tried just about everything, and i like tournagrip and wilson pro overgrips...i give wilson the edge on feel, but tourna gets the nod in the summertime due to its superior sweat obsorbsion....

dewey2110
09-16-2006, 02:40 PM
I got a cheap 10 pack off E b a y and tried to use it. It sucks so bad...the grip wears out quickly, but the worst part is that it's so slippery. Last night, I just took the newly gripped tourna out and put the Wilson pro on(wat I've been using b4 I try the Tourna) and immediately feel the difference. It's like heaven and hell, But I recommend Tourna users to pour some water (very little) on your hand and grasp the grip and let it absorbs a lil (dont soak it). That will increase the life and feel of the grip.

StealthGnome
09-16-2006, 03:12 PM
TournaGrip was on sale. :)

vinnier6
09-17-2006, 06:35 AM
I got a cheap 10 pack off E b a y and tried to use it. It sucks so bad...the grip wears out quickly, but the worst part is that it's so slippery. Last night, I just took the newly gripped tourna out and put the Wilson pro on(wat I've been using b4 I try the Tourna) and immediately feel the difference. It's like heaven and hell, But I recommend Tourna users to pour some water (very little) on your hand and grasp the grip and let it absorbs a lil (dont soak it). That will increase the life and feel of the grip.
what are you talking about...

theace21
09-17-2006, 06:54 AM
Buy tournagrip in bulk. It works, but it doesn't last...

Boja
09-17-2006, 02:03 PM
I guess my hands are very soft, because my Tourna lasts me for around 8-10 hours! By then it has a little bit of wear and I use the other side, which lasts me a few more hours. My hands don't sweat too much either, so that's probably another factor.

Dan007
09-17-2006, 02:21 PM
You thought tourna grip was bad? Wait untill you try Gamma Pro Wrap, which is a copy of tourna grip from Gamma. It becomes a complete thrash after 5 minutes of hitting!! Now what am I going to do with this crap, I still have 14 more grips left!

psamp14
09-17-2006, 08:20 PM
many pros do use tournagrip, and pete sampras did use it, but i think he probably went thru at least 5 grips in a match, estimating that from how i went thru 1 tournagrip in about a set or little longer...

its a great overgrip no doubt, just the endurance of it is not great at all

thelimfactor
09-17-2006, 08:52 PM
u really need to change it every SET as Psamp said.

Swissv2
09-17-2006, 09:40 PM
I use the white tournagrip, and thats great.

snoflewis
09-17-2006, 10:23 PM
a new tournagrip about every 4 hours sounds good for me....

carpetgrub
09-19-2006, 09:51 PM
Tournagrip was one of the first to mass produce the grips, so they cornered the market in the early years. Thank them for briging out the competion and the nice variety available today.

pNoyr3D
09-25-2006, 05:37 PM
I just wrapped some tourna-grip onto my 2 dunlop m-fil 300's.. Haven't used em' yet, going to use them tomorrow. I held it for a bit and I liked the feel, just have to see how it is when I play.

Will888
09-25-2006, 08:21 PM
they don't last very long with me....

Faber
09-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Played 1.5 hrs today with fresh tournagrip and switched inbetween with Wilson Pro Overgrip and played 1.hrs.

Tournagrip was ripped to shreds. Wilson looked brand new and just as tacky.

I only bought a 3 pack of tournagrip to test it out and recently bought a 30 reel of wilson..

Fidel
09-26-2006, 12:22 AM
I love tournagrip - the feel, and the absorption are second to none.

Wilson pro and Yonex super-grap are too tacky out of the packaging - causing blisters for some people, and lose their efficacy much quicker than tournagrip if you sweat a lot.

Yes, they shred quickly and need to be replaced. But in all honesty, at least you know when your grip is done. Most people play too long on their overgrips because they can't tell when its done. Tourna gives you a visual indicator of when its time to change it up.

pNoyr3D
09-26-2006, 05:04 PM
I just got done playing earlier and I loved it!! The feel is great!! I don't really sweat much in the hand so I guess that won't be much of a problem, but it's great!! Love it..

127mph
09-30-2006, 12:32 PM
i live by tournagrip, only grip i use, when you wrap it over a leather grip, there is no better feeling when you hit a ball, its just magic. so yea, it is the grip.

bsandy
09-30-2006, 12:47 PM
and there sponsered so they dont care about how many they use because they have like a bag of 500 in there racket bag

I sold Blake a reel of these in Indy. If he he a Tourna Grip sponsored player, he must still have to buy them.

I think that is also true about strings. Most players that are sponsored still buy their strings (anf they pay for their stringing out of their prize money).

Tennis Man
09-30-2006, 03:37 PM
I just tried the Head Xtreme and I just couldn't believe how much better and cheaper it is.

barry
10-01-2006, 01:42 AM
i live by tournagrip, only grip i use, when you wrap it over a leather grip, there is no better feeling when you hit a ball, its just magic. so yea, it is the grip.

Leather and tournagrip is hard to beat. I have tried Wilson, Yonex, Prince, and gamma overgrips. They last about 4 games and all become wet.

Most pros use Tourna grip because it absorbs moisture. The other overgrips just keep the moisture on top. If you are new to tennis or playing at a lower level or doubles matches, you probably could not tell the difference between the grips. If the tournagrip is coming apart, it is probably due to the way you hit the ball. To much friction on the handle (turning), usually caused by off center hits wears down tournagrip.

In a humid climate, and a competitive singles match, tournagrip is the only thing that holds up for me. The others just get slick and wet, tournagrip help with moisture issues. I get 3 matches out of one tournagrip. Blue is the best!

StealthGnome
10-01-2006, 05:57 PM
I love tournagrip - the feel, and the absorption are second to none.

Wilson pro and Yonex super-grap are too tacky out of the packaging - causing blisters for some people, and lose their efficacy much quicker than tournagrip if you sweat a lot.

Exactly.

pNoyr3D
10-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Well I was playing earlier and it was starting to shred abit but not very much, I still think it's a really great overgrip. But yeah, I am starting to get blisters maybe it's because I turn my racquet alot, haha.

Well.. Sad to say that my blister popped today and it hurt like a b****! Jeeze, I was playing and it was digging in and grr.. Haha.

WhiteSox05CA
10-09-2006, 04:13 PM
He definately used tournagrip, and still does. So do hundreds of pros (Agassi, Roddick, Blake...). It's pretty amazing, and Unique Sports products doesn't sponsor anyone. ALSO Pete doesn't sponsor Tournagrip. It's not supposed to be durable, Pros use it for one match, and some long ones they will switch.
________
Glass weed pipe (http://glasspipes.net/)

bribeiro
10-09-2006, 08:26 PM
I like wilson pro overgrip better.