PDA

View Full Version : nBlade settings

juhasaari
09-16-2006, 09:12 AM
Heyall!

I'm new (and Finnish) to this forum, so be gentle.. :)

The tennis bug bit me _again_ a couple of months ago (after 8 years of normal life in between). I really love to play these days, but racquetwise my old Rossignol had its peak moments back in the nineties, so I decided to get rid of some serious money and buy a new whip.

Wow, there really is an incredible selection of racquets and other tennis gear on offer these days.. I briefly demoed a bunch of Wilson racquets and found the nBlade the most suitable from their nCode line. But after some serious hitting I find it to be quite light on the spin department, especially when hitting top spin. The power level is also a bit on the low side, problems occur mainly on my backhand side (twohanded).

Since the original Sensation strings are about to go, I'm now turning to You experienced (nBlade) guys for information on what kind of setup is recommended for hurricane spins without losing too much comfort. I would also be very grateful for suggestions on preferable tensions, regarding the power issue on the bh.

All suggestions are keenly read and highly appreciated.

Your's truly,
Juha

Fishbulb
09-16-2006, 11:01 PM
Hi Juha,
The nblade is not specifically designed for topspin player, its designed more for control, hence the more closed string pattern.

I'd recommend getting a string that can offer more topspin, try Big Banger Alu Power Rough.

and also work on your technique, make sure you bend your knees when hitting the ball so you can get more spin.

juhasaari
09-17-2006, 06:12 AM
Hi Juha,
I'd recommend getting a string that can offer more topspin, try Big Banger Alu Power Rough.

Cheers Fishbulb,

and thanks for the advice. I've actually been looking for those Luxilon strings, but my home town has a relatively narrow selection of strings and all I could find, even remotely suggesting for spin potential, was Babolat Pro Hurricane 16, which is quite 'mainstream' spinwise, I guess. And the problem now is that the Sensations broke this morning, so I'm in a hurry...

Fishbulb - do have any ideas for the preferable tension for the Luxilons, if I can find a set somewhere? 57 pounds is my normal setup. Thanks!

Fishbulb
09-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Cheers Fishbulb,

and thanks for the advice. I've actually been looking for those Luxilon strings, but my home town has a relatively narrow selection of strings and all I could find, even remotely suggesting for spin potential, was Babolat Pro Hurricane 16, which is quite 'mainstream' spinwise, I guess. And the problem now is that the Sensations broke this morning, so I'm in a hurry...

Fishbulb - do have any ideas for the preferable tension for the Luxilons, if I can find a set somewhere? 57 pounds is my normal setup. Thanks!

I'd go with 54lbs or 55lbs.

Good Luck

wally
09-19-2006, 02:30 PM
Becasue of the tighter string pattern I would look into a 17g string. It will open up the pattern a bit and will make any spin a bit easier to generate.

If you can find the hurricane in 17g that would be an option...

what choices do you have available to you??

federer_nadal
12-20-2006, 01:11 AM
you may be in luck soon as wilson is soon to be/now is distributing luxilon strings. There is some luxilon in my local tennis store now which there as never been before.

dl125
12-20-2006, 05:01 AM
My bro is doing extremely well with Luxilon on his nBlade. Right now he's using Timo 17.

Pusher
12-20-2006, 05:29 AM
Heyall!

I'm new (and Finnish) to this forum, so be gentle.. :)

The tennis bug bit me _again_ a couple of months ago (after 8 years of normal life in between). I really love to play these days, but racquetwise my old Rossignol had its peak moments back in the nineties, so I decided to get rid of some serious money and buy a new whip.

Wow, there really is an incredible selection of racquets and other tennis gear on offer these days.. I briefly demoed a bunch of Wilson racquets and found the nBlade the most suitable from their nCode line. But after some serious hitting I find it to be quite light on the spin department, especially when hitting top spin. The power level is also a bit on the low side, problems occur mainly on my backhand side (twohanded).

Since the original Sensation strings are about to go, I'm now turning to You experienced (nBlade) guys for information on what kind of setup is recommended for hurricane spins without losing too much comfort. I would also be very grateful for suggestions on preferable tensions, regarding the power issue on the bh.

All suggestions are keenly read and highly appreciated.

Your's truly,
Juha

I agree, The Nblade is a low powered racquet and I would be careful about using low powered strings (polys). If you want a poly I would suggest a softer poly like Polyon SP 17 with a synthetic cross. But I would suggest you consider a good 17 or 18 gauge synthetic gut for both mains and crosses. Topspin is available with the Nblade but you may eventually find yourself flattening out your shots a little more.

Try a synthetic at about 58lbs.

federer_nadal
12-20-2006, 05:31 AM
does nblade have more power than the POG? how is it comparable power-wise to a POG or Pure Storm?

DURICA533
12-20-2006, 11:34 AM
I would say the Pure Storm has slightly more power. Pure Storm is a nice racket, a bit stiffer but not nearly as comfortable as the nBlade, if that is what you are looking for. In regards to spin, I get massive spin and I am using 16g Tecnifibre NRG2. I settled on the nBlade because of its spin production. It being a more flexible racket, I can hold the ball on the stringbed a pinch longer while I am brushing on the backside of the ball. With my opponents I am constantly asking them which racket I am hitting with is giving heavier topspin balls. Out of the pure drive, pure storm, prestiges, DNX10, rdx500, surge, hands down they say my nBlade has more of a kick after it hits the court. the only other racket that seemed to get more spin that I tried was the APD. But the ball wasn't heavy enough and it was REAL difficult to flatten out.

MordredSJT
12-20-2006, 12:28 PM
I've only found myself hitting more and more spin with the nBlade...

It is low powered and quite flexible. If you combine that with some kind of poly at a decently high tension you can swing out like crazy and still keep the ball in play. This is the first tight string pattern racquet that I have ever played with, and it is one of the easiest to produce spin with.