PDA

View Full Version : Easy on the Arm/Flexible Racquet?

TripleB
09-16-2006, 10:22 AM
After playing with my Prince Triple Threat Warrior Midplus, Yonex Super RQ Ti-700 Long, and Yonex RDX-500 Midplus today, I've decided that my elbow really needs something that is much easier on it.

Both of my usual racquets (Yonex Nano Speed RQ7 and Dunlop Maxply McEnroe) were being strung today so I had to resort to a couple of my back-up racquets. I think the TT Warrior and Ti-700 Long got my elbow tender during the first set. I switch over to the RDX (poly/syn hybrid) for the second set and the pain eased a little except when I hit the ball near the tip of the racquet and then pain shot through my arm.

Are there any 27" racquets out there that:

1) offer great comfort on the elbow
2) contains some excellent 'pop' potential (especially on serves)
3) are 97, 98, 99, or 100 sq inches
4) contain no more than 16 main strings?

*** I should have put the extra "pop" potential in the title of the post so people wouldn't just think about highly flexible low powered frames.

Thanks for any recommendations.

TripleB

PS: I know that just because a racquet is flexible doesn't mean it's easy on the arm and just because a racquet is stiff it doesn't mean it's hard on the arm, so the title may have been a little misleading.

snoflewis
09-16-2006, 11:06 AM
give the fischer pro #1 and mspeed 98 a try.

also, are you asking for frames FROM 97 to 100 sq in? because between would mean 98 and 99 sq in. only....and i have yet to see a 99 sq in frame.

also, you didnt give a weight range or a swingweight range..

blubber
09-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Of the racquets I've played try theses 3:

Volkl T 10 VE MP - pretty good racquet but swing weight was a tad too high for me even after trimming the bumper

Volkl T 10 Gen 1 MP - when strung mid to low offers good pop, hard to find now though

PK 5g

alcap26
09-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Head Flexpoint Radical
Head Flexpoint Radical Tour

Coach Reed
09-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Are there any 27" racquets out there that:
1) offer great comfort on the elbow
2) contain some excellent 'pop' potential (especially on serves)
3) are between 97 and 100 sq inches
4) contain no more than 16 main strings?

Some great racquets in this category include:
Volkl Tour 10 V-Engine Midplus
Prince O3 Tour Midplus
Prince O3 White
Yonex RDS 001 Midplus

Of these I've heard the most positive (and personally prefer) the O3 Tour MP. The O3 White will give you a little more pop than the O3 Tour and I have heard nothing negative about it. The Volkl Tour 10 V-Engine Midplus has vibration dampening in the sensor tour handle without sacrificing feel and extended main strings for extra (controllable) POP. Lastly I mention the Yonex RDS 001 Midplus if you want to try something within the Yonex realm. I've heard many mixed reviews on this racquet. Some negative and none ecstatic.
NEOS 1000

TripleB
09-16-2006, 11:52 AM
also, are you asking for frames FROM 97 to 100 sq in? because between would mean 98 and 99 sq in. only....and i have yet to see a 99 sq in frame.

also, you didnt give a weight range or a swingweight range..

Corrections made so it now reads 97, 98, 99, or 100 square inches.

Weight I'd prefer 11 ounces or heavier and swingweight I'd like to be 330 or under.

TripleB

TripleB
09-16-2006, 11:57 AM
Of the racquets I've played try theses 3:

Volkl T 10 VE MP - pretty good racquet but swing weight was a tad too high for me even after trimming the bumper

Unfortunately it seems T-W no longer carries this racquet in a 4 5/8" grip :confused:

TripleB

javier sergio
09-16-2006, 12:28 PM
I have no doubt about the answer Head iRadical OS. I had TE for about 5 months I bought two Pro Kennex 5G played with them for about 2 months, actually I'm playing iRadical to me works better.

Coach Reed
09-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Unfortunately it seems T-W no longer carries this racquet in a 4 5/8" grip :confused:
TripleB

Volkl may be getting ready to discontinue it if you can't get it in a 5/8. However, you can have them add a shrink sleeve to the handle to build up the grip size from 4 1/2" to 4 5/8"...

One thing to be aware of is that the application of a shrink sleeve adds .6 oz. of weight to the racguet and also effects the balance point. With this frame, that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Especially since weight absorbs frame shock and frame shock aggrovates tendonitis. With a shrink sleeve this would be a 12.5 oz. racquet at about 9 points headlight (the swing weight is not effected). Good luck...

blubber
09-16-2006, 01:03 PM
Dont forget that Volkls have replaceable grip pallets. So you could probably go to your local tennis shop and have them install a 4 5/8 grip for you. TW used to sell them but they stopped doing so within the last year.

There are also non TW sites selling the racquet in 4 5/8.

chair ump
09-16-2006, 01:39 PM
Look no further than a PK Type R...if you can find one. This frame was recently discontinued but the last ones are still out there.

Coach Reed
09-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Dont forget that Volkls have replaceable grip pallets. So you could probably go to your local tennis shop and have them install a 4 5/8 grip for you. TW used to sell them but they stopped doing so within the last year.

There are also non TW sites selling the racquet in 4 5/8.

True that. Volkl pallets are replaceable, but it may be difficult to track them down. It is also hard to find someone qualified to do it right.

If you do decide to buy the racquet from a TW competitor, don't expect to get the same kind of service. I've heard some horror stories about other companies; as recently as last week.

galain
09-16-2006, 02:56 PM
Look no further than a PK Type R...if you can find one. This frame was recently discontinued but the last ones are still out there.

Ditto this. Actually Ben, didnt you play test the Type R some time ago and find it to your liking? Or am I thinking of someone else?

snoflewis
09-16-2006, 03:59 PM
Head Flexpoint Radical
Head Flexpoint Radical Tour

FP radicals are 18x20....not what he's looking for.

jayserinos99
09-16-2006, 04:20 PM
I know this is one frame that may not have inherent 'pop' potential, but strung loose the DNX 9 is pretty nice in comfort and 'pop'. I have a couple that are strung loose (one with gut/syn gut, another with some nylon) and it's got a good amount of pop. Another frame I think that fits in your criteria even though it's discontinued is the Tour 10 Gen 1 Midplus as it's comfortable with good pop.

Just curious, but the RDX500 should fit the bill but maybe the strings are either too tight or too stiff (being a poly/syn gut hybrid). Why not just go with a multi or natural gut? Lastly, if you can find them, the SRD Tour 95 should fit the bill as well since the RDS001 and RDX500 are based off the SRD Tour mold but in a more flexy and comfortable package IMO.

Golden Ace
09-16-2006, 04:34 PM
I'm not really up on the new technology, but in the old days when the elbow got sore it seemed best to get lower string tension and if necessary add some head weight with lead tape. If you are a baseliner this won't be a big problem. Net play can be more difficult with extra weight. I know that many of the new frames are stiff and light, not my favorite combination. If the extra weight bothers you, you might start working with 5 lb barbells.

abrahavt
09-16-2006, 08:09 PM
The two racquets that are most arm friendly that I own and play with are the ProKennex 5G and the Power Angle 98K.

fielders_80
09-16-2006, 09:38 PM
the 03 white, 03 Tour, DNX9 (i heard, as i havenot played with it before)

Ulam
09-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Dunlop 200 gxl is extremely soft but you must add lead to make the racquet feel solid at impact. If it was 60 in the stiffness rating it would be perfect. I also cut the handle a bit to make it exactly 27.

TripleB
09-17-2006, 07:48 AM
Ditto this. Actually Ben, didnt you play test the Type R some time ago and find it to your liking? Or am I thinking of someone else?

I did and liked it much better than the Volkl Tour 10 Generation II or the Babolat AeroPro Drive. I think the only problem I found with it was a slight lack of topspin.

TripleB

alcap26
09-17-2006, 08:19 AM
FP radicals are 18x20....not what he's looking for.

Actually you are right on the FXP Radical but wrong on the FXP Radical Tour.
The Flexpoint Radical Tour is 16 x 19, 27 inches long, 12 ounces, and a stiffness of 58. I demoed this racquet versus the PK ki5, 7g, and Volkl Tour 10 mp gen II and the Flexpoint Radical Tour that is 16 x 19 was the best of the bunch. I did not get to demo the PK 5g but I just could not get used to the feel of the PK frames.

All the specs I quoted came from here:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=HRTR

OMGIMACAR
09-17-2006, 08:23 AM
Head Protector? That one was supposed to be very arm friendly and it has a good amount of pop

TonyB
09-17-2006, 08:38 AM
Let me ask this question:

Has anyone actually switched from a flexible racquet TO a stiffer racquet and actually developed tennis elbow as a result?

I've heard stories of people who already HAD tennis elbow switching to a flexible racquet and having success. But I've never heard of someone switching to a stiffer racquet and developing tennis elbow as a result.

Thanks.

juani
09-17-2006, 08:55 AM
PK5g.......great racquet without weaknesses (and the easiest on the arm ever)

retroceso
09-17-2006, 09:52 AM
yonex rds 003? it's real easy on the arm and same pop on the serve

gotwheels
09-17-2006, 09:56 AM
Give the Pro Kennex 5G or Ki 5 a try. The 5G is a classic all court racquet. I experienced an irriatated elbow due to a stiffer frame, a poly string trial, and some bad swing technique. Rest helped, but the elbow was always tender and sore after some mis-hits. I got a 5G and it was like having a masseur/masseuse (I also focused on technique)! I can't describe the comfort of this frame (for someone with a sore elbow).

Anyway, I have enjoyed my 5G and have a couple of Ki5s as well. Both the 5G and Ki 5 frames are great all round frames that aren't spectacular at anything but do everything well (if you kind of know what I mean). The Ki 5 has more power, but is arm friendly. I have just recently ventured back into the word of co-polys and have been enamored by the 5G and a Top Spin Cyber Flash 1.25 hybrid. Just strung up one of the Ki 5s in a similar hybrid and will hit the singles ladder today.

basil J
09-17-2006, 10:28 AM
Redondo and Pure storm. Both are arm friendly and have good power/control..

TripleB
09-17-2006, 11:53 AM
Thanks for everyone's advice!!!

After taking a close look at the various specs, reading your suggestions, and reading through the reviews (player and T-W), I've narrowed it down to only 10 racquets :mrgreen: :confused: :cool:

Pure Storm, MFil 200 '06, FP Radical Tour, 03 Hybrid Shark, 03 Tour Mid, 03 Tour Midplus, 03 White, nSix-One 95, RDS 001, RD Ti-80.

TripleB

alcap26
09-17-2006, 04:40 PM
looks like a great list. Good luck in the search and let us know what you decide on.

pNoyr3D
09-17-2006, 05:01 PM
For me the Dunlop M-Fil 300 is very easy on the arm. Also it has alot of pop in the serve, it actually made my serves more powerful while adding some cosistency. Very good racquet, don't know if it's what you looking for.

I guess it fit's all of your liking 1-3 dunno about 4.. But yeah it fit's it. So good luck!

Coach Reed
09-24-2006, 10:58 PM
I've narrowed it down to only 10 racquets:
Pure Storm, MFil 200 '06, FP Radical Tour, 03 Hybrid Shark, 03 Tour Mid, 03 Tour Midplus, 03 White, nSix-One 95, RDS 001, RD Ti-80. TripleB

You should be able to narrow it down to about 5 or 6 racquets of which, you can play with any. At that point, it really comes down to feel. Don't forget the O3 Tour & O3 White come with an interchangeable (hard) throat piece which enhances feel significantly. They have to be installed/changed during stringing. I recommend installing the hard throat piece, because if you need dampening you can always put in a traditional vibration dampener. If the dampening throat piece is in, you can't do anything about it unless you re-string.
Best of luck.
:)

NEOS 1000