PDA

View Full Version : Sports Authority?

pNoyr3D
09-17-2006, 08:58 AM
Hello, usually when you buy string from SportsAuthority and you bring your racquet they will string the racquet for free.

How about if you bring your own strings and ask them to string it. How much is the cost?

patrick922
09-17-2006, 09:02 AM
i think it is around $10-12 but that was a while back so maybe they changed the price

john cheng
09-17-2006, 09:12 AM
Unfortunately, they don't do string jobs anymore unless you buy the strings from them. Policy have changed accoridng to the manager. The reason why is that if they break your string, they will not be able to replace it with their own brand strings in stock.
They did in the past, maybe 3 years ago, do string jobs for $11- you supply your gut/string.
Hope this helps.

Dan007
09-17-2006, 09:13 AM
Do not get your racket strung from there!!!!

300Gkid
09-17-2006, 09:17 AM
I dono, my SA did it for 12 bucks and i supplied the string, they
messed up a cross though

Zets147
09-17-2006, 09:42 AM
SA =$30 bucks for syn gut+ stringing.. that's why I take it to a tennis club instead. $10 if you bring your own strings.

maverick66
09-17-2006, 09:48 AM
plus the kid who does the stringing doesnt really know what hes doing. my friend used to be the stringer at the one near my house and he would mes up rackets all the time and laugh and put it in the done bin.

pNoyr3D
09-17-2006, 09:49 AM
Okay thanks alot!! Hm.. The club huh.. So basically any racquet club?

looseswing
09-17-2006, 09:56 AM
Okay thanks alot!! Hm.. The club huh.. So basically any racquet club?

Yes, just I don't think know any club that does not have stringing so you should be able to get it strung at the club you play at, if you do play at a club.

migjam
09-17-2006, 09:56 AM
They also don't take the price of stringing off the cost of the string when just buying the string.

thomas martinez
09-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Ok, yes TSAs do string if you bring your own string. I do it all the time at one for several clients. And syn gut is NOT $30. Prince Syn is $19,99 plus tax installed at my store. Our labour charge is $12 if you have your own string. Each store according to our chainwide policy is to have a MRT at each location.

kchau
09-17-2006, 11:04 AM
why would you even go to sports authority to get your racquet strung....

p0w3r
09-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Yes, just I don't think know any club that does not have stringing so you should be able to get it strung at the club you play at, if you do play at a club.
I get my racquets strung at a club, even though im not part of that club...they dont seem to care (i mean i am giving them 16 per string job). I wouldnt string at sports authrority...some may be better then others, but in the end you wont know which ones are good or not. My friend went to go get his racquet string there and he asked them if a higher tension would give more power. They said yes, higher tension = more power less control, lower tension = less power more control:-| And then my freind came and argues with me the entire day saying that i lied to him since i told him higher tension = less power, more control....good thing i had a tennis magazine lying a around so i could prove him (and the guy at SA) wrong;)

tennisguy2121
09-17-2006, 11:16 AM
just take it to a tennis shop or tennis club. soooooo many people come from sports authority cuz they strung it wrong.

vinnier6
09-17-2006, 01:15 PM
i have personally seen the bad string jobs that come from sports authority....i would never take my stuff there, but i am pretty picky about my racquets and who touches them...

kchau
09-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Ok, yes TSAs do string if you bring your own string. I do it all the time at one for several clients. And syn gut is NOT $30. Prince Syn is $19,99 plus tax installed at my store. Our labour charge is $12 if you have your own string. Each store according to our chainwide policy is to have a MRT at each location.

yeah... mrt...everytime i go there no one knows crap about tennis.

127mph
09-17-2006, 01:37 PM
SA is robbery, i mean i went and they were selling NXT for 36 bucks, i mean NXT is not gut, i mean their selection is terrible and over priced.

pNoyr3D
09-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Yeah 127mph, their stuff is overpriced. When my strings break I am just going to buy them from here, I can get better strings here for cheaper such as Babolat Hurricanes for $8 and probably $15 in all, instead of buying some cheap string at sports authority for $20.

Yeah I think the club is the place I will be getting mine strung, I don't have a membership at a club though. But there is this club nearby, hope they can string.

migjam
09-17-2006, 03:53 PM
I've seen some complete HACK jobs come out of the Sports Authority by where I live.

PBODY99
09-18-2006, 01:06 PM
As a former BigBox stringer, I feel both sides pain. I would string two days a week , and as a USRSA Certified Strunger< this is before the MRT> , I turned out proper string jobs. Now if someone else did your frames........It cause quite a problem as this was a Phila center city store, and the odd local tournament player came in since it was near work. I started using a colored deadman to sing my work after tiring of a manager complains about work I didn't do.

I advise everyone to know the person who does your frames. At one SA in DE, there is a lady who cranks out excellent work. At other in the area stores,only the Shadow knows...........:cool:

Zets147
09-18-2006, 05:18 PM

Yes, Prince Syn Gut is $20 if i remember right, but other "upper level" strings were in the $25-$30 dollars range. The best strings I saw there was reaction and that was priced at $30.

vbtennis99
09-18-2006, 05:33 PM
Never get your racquet(S) strung at Sports Authority. Their staff is clueless in tennis and they dont know how to string racquets at all.

mshinde
09-18-2006, 08:01 PM
Never get your racquet(S) strung at Sports Authority. Their staff is clueless in tennis and they dont know how to string racquets at all.

I think this depends upon the stringer. I usually talk directly to the stringer in SA and this makes a lot of difference. I strung my racquets from SA and never had any issues. If u bring your own strings then SA, norwalk, CT charges 12.5+tax

pNoyr3D
09-18-2006, 08:21 PM
Hm.. Alot of replies!! I think I solved it.. I don't think i'm gonna go to SA to string it.. Maybe a racquet club will do. Any price ranges they do?

johnkidd
09-19-2006, 07:25 AM
After 25 years of playing here would be my thoughts:

1a. Buy a stringer and string it yourself. If you are really into how racket and string interact this is fun. It pays for itself in no time and you can experiement. Plus if you get a bad string job you only have yourself to blame.

1b. Local tennis shop. Great resource on what strings to try and what tensions they play well at for your style/level of play and the racket you use. Since all they do is tennis their rep is on the line if a bad sting job comes out of there.

2. Your local club. Although I would ask who does their stringing. Lots of times they have juniors string so you need to be careful that it's somone there who takes their time and knows what they are doing.

I would avoid a sporting good store unless they actually take what they do for tennis seriously. I love going to say a Dicks or Sports Authority where they have a nice stringer (usally a Prince or Ektelon) and there is a minimal amount of tools, or the stringer looks like it has been trashed or neglected.

pNoyr3D
09-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Well.. I went with my friend to a local racquet club and I asked him if they do string jobs and my friend said yes, he said I think $12. I'd rather get it strung from a place made for tennis instead of a sporting good's store like Sports Authority. Also, it's closer too, lol.

sloe_torture
09-20-2006, 04:00 AM
Don't get your racquets strung at chain stores. I had my racquets strung at a local Sportmart when I didn't have a car and didn't know any better. Sometimes I would pickup my racquet and find new scratches in the inner loop. Another time I found the paint in my racquet starting to chip due to over-clamping. It was always an effort to find anyone accountable because the person that strung my racquet was rarely around when I complained, and it was either the kid or the old man that didn't even play tennis. I find racquet stringing akin to getting a haircut. Once you find a good stringer (preferrably at a tennis shop or a club), stick with them. Their consistency and knowledge will give you an added peace of mind. Good string labor should be in the $12-16 range. Good haircuts, $20-30.

Steve Huff
09-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Sports Authority is the main reason I never took the MRT test seriously. There were so many horror stories about people getting rackets strung there, and then RSI Magazine (then RacquetTech) would have a list of new MRTs listed, and several would be from Sports Authority. If all the SA people getting MRT status could string so well, there shouldn't be nearly as many complaints being sent in about their stringing.

jj300
09-20-2006, 06:01 PM
Steve,
If they are a true MRT and they are stil at the store and they string your rackets you are ok. The mrt often leaves and the store never tells its customers they just get a kid to string. Sometimes these stores claim to have mrts but all they do is suprivise stringing. We both know this doesn't equate to a good string job. Even if there is an MRT most of the rackets or a good majority of them are not strung by the MRT as I understand. If they were, they wouldn't need to ship the rackets somewhere to be strung, they could be strung on site. Maybe Tom can chim in here?

Woodstock_Tennis
09-21-2006, 01:20 AM
I use to work at a sport mart aka SA through high school. Most the time I'd string racquets for people, I can tell you from experience this is not a place you want to bring your stuff. Our routine went as such, someone brings in racquet and they would throw it in the back of the tech room. Not much respect was given to the racquets, many times they'd just toss the racquet on the ground with a tag. Other people that would string there really had no idea or didn't care what they were doing. I'd watch them string the racquet without checking the tension once, they'd often screw up the string pattern, and would leave scratches all over the frame. Also not to mension it wasn't a surprise for them to sell 40 dollar synth gut string with a 300 dollar head racquet (rip off).

predrag
09-21-2006, 09:48 AM
Hm.. Alot of replies!! I think I solved it.. I don't think i'm gonna go to SA to string it.. Maybe a racquet club will do. Any price ranges they do?

Man, too bad that you are so far south.
Otherwise, I would be able to do it for you.

Regards, Predrag

cys19
09-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Would you guys recommend stringing at *********?

Edit: (********=g01fsm1th) What's up with the censoring of company names?

jj300
09-27-2006, 05:56 PM
********* is a comptetitor of tw since they are doing tennis stuff now. supposedly all *********'s stringers are supposed to be trained. thats suppose to be tru for sa to so im not sure. never used one here in jersey since they started stringing after I already had my machine for a few years

abenguyen
09-27-2006, 08:00 PM
i have never got mine strung at sports authority but once i saw someone stringing it and........ um they were horrible. they had the book out to help string it and they had 2 people on 1 racquet. they kept questioning each other "i guess i do this one now? um which hole is next?" yes they are semi-********

Ky0shiro
09-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Golf sm1th seems like a trusty place. I got my racquet strung there the last time with Tecnifibre NRG2 16 for $16 or so (string + stringing). I hear they upped the price since then.

Anyways, they seem to have done a good job on my racquet.

BstonBruin
09-27-2006, 09:52 PM
I've been stringing for a while now...how much do you think they would give me per hour if I applied for a stringing job there?

abenguyen
09-28-2006, 08:03 PM
just a heads up for your local academy stores at first i called in and they told me stringing was $10 plus string cost which would have been $15 for me cause i was just getting head synthetic gut so i come back after my racquet is strung and they tell me its $14.99 for stringing plus strings. unfortunately when they asked for the name of who told me that it was $10 for labor i didn't know. so academy is a little more expensive but they strung my racquet correctly