PDA

View Full Version : Power Pads really do provide more power

Hessam
09-17-2006, 01:02 PM
Just tried power pads for first time in my raquet. I asked my stringer why they call them power pads, instead of just leather pads, and he said that since the pads actually provide a little more give on the main strings that they are used on (which basically consists of the main strings in the sweetspot of the racquet), this increases the string bowing effect, which increases dwell time and ultimately does provide the sense of having more power in the racquet.

He said that is why they fold them several times, because they provide slightly more "give" than just one layer. he said also because it slightly lengthens the strings in the sweetspot, and that makes sense too, as oversized racquets have much more power than mid and Midsize frames.

Any thoughts on this.... Seemed to make sense to me. and I can definitely feel the difference in my PC600.

by the way he said that they should be replaced at each striniging because as leather gets worn down, it looses it's "give" to the main strings which reduces the extra "bowing", or "cupping" effect, which is why natural gut is known as the ultimate power string, because of the extreme bowing or cupping effect of the ball.

jackson vile
09-17-2006, 01:07 PM
Play some more for a week or so and come back and tell us what the difference is, I have never heard from any posters that actually use them, rather just tried them like and and dismised them right away.

Thanks for you post, you helped bring something very important into perspective for me.

Ash Doyle
09-17-2006, 01:28 PM
No offense, but I've never heard that explanation from someone "in the know". I've always heard they just increase the angle of the string as it loops back around from hole to hole and can therefore decrease string breakage in those spots. Especially for people that string quite tight.

NoBadMojo
09-17-2006, 01:54 PM
I've never experienced the sensation that Power Pads provide more power and I learned with wood...we used to both tube and power pad the mains in the throat of certain frames, and players like Andres Gomez used to power pad the mains at the head of his frames as well. the purpose of the power pads is to soften the sharp angles that strings would sometimes have around the throat area of certain frames to help keep the strings from stressing and breaking at those points. Later they came out with hard plastic power pads which were a lot easier than cutting up old leather grips into these little squares and then folding them.

RMB
09-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Well at least we know some pros use power pads. Take a look at Gabriela Sabatini’s racquet. She put those “leather pads” in the throat and the head.

http://i5.tinypic.com/2iazt36.jpg

http://i5.tinypic.com/2uepfds.jpg

http://i6.tinypic.com/2dsoga8.jpg

I got the impression that this pads were the precursor of Babolat woofer grommet.

Hessam
09-17-2006, 03:02 PM
No offense, but I've never heard that explanation from someone "in the know". I've always heard they just increase the angle of the string as it loops back around from hole to hole and can therefore decrease string breakage in those spots. Especially for people that string quite tight.

Just because you've never heard that from anyone in the "know" doesn't mean that the theory makes no sense. I think the effect is not that noticeble in stiffer frames perhaps, but in more flexible frames, that explanation makes quite a lot of sense. I have definitely felt the difference in my frames.

jackson vile
09-17-2006, 04:55 PM
The question if not would be why would Roger use them then?

Or even other pros that have 10 rackets and have them strung when ever they want.

Also I would think that how you aply the leather, ie how you fold and how many times is going to make a big difference.

ie there is a difference between an amature stringer and a pro string, an amature could potentialy make any string suck.

Richie Rich
09-17-2006, 05:40 PM
the stringer by me, who strings at grand slams, said that power pads are only for decreasing the angle of gut to avoid kinking and/or breaking - as others have already posted.

every gut job he does he uses power pads. anything to keep $35 gut (plus labor) in the frame without it breaking prematurely.

jackson vile
09-17-2006, 05:45 PM
the stringer by me, who strings at grand slams, said that power pads are only for decreasing the angle of gut to avoid kinking and/or breaking - as others have already posted.

every gut job he does he uses power pads. anything to keep $35 gut (plus labor) in the frame without it breaking prematurely.

Really I have had gut 3 times so far with no power pads and have had no problems at all, and if it was just about the angle then why are the power pads just at the bottom?

And then we see more pros that use gut or hybrid that don't have powerpads than those that do.

The only male pros that I can think of are Roger and Haas

drakulie
09-17-2006, 05:50 PM
I use them, and have been using them since the mid 80's. They make the string more muted. I have never noticed an increase in power-EVER.

jackson vile
09-17-2006, 05:53 PM
I use them, and have been using them since the mid 80's. They make the string more muted. I have never noticed an increase in power-EVER.

Have you noticed more spin also what is you string pattern, string type and tension?

drakulie
09-17-2006, 07:33 PM
Have you noticed more spin also what is you string pattern, string type and tension?

No, I have never noticed more spin either. I use a PS 85 so 16x18 string pattern.

String: Ashaway Kevlar Crossfire II, 16 gauge, strung at 70 lbs.

Hessam
09-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Safin uses them, depending on what strings he is playing with.
Pete Sampras always used them.

Henri Leconte had them in the head and the throat (with no head gaurd).
Cedric Pioline used them also.

Of course, Fed and Haas use them as well.

also Mary Pierce said on Tennis Channel that she was told to use them, and tried it and loved it and has used it ever since. Her's looked huge though compared to most others I've seen.

I think there's a big difference in the way they are applied as well.

those are the ones I remember off the top of my head.
I'm sure there are more pro's who use them, than the ones I noted above.

as the other post said. i do think the quality (thickness, and moisture/oil content) of the leather, as well as the number of folds would dramatically affect the feel one way or the other.

Richie Rich
09-18-2006, 03:02 AM
Really I have had gut 3 times so far with no power pads and have had no problems at all, and if it was just about the angle then why are the power pads just at the bottom?

And then we see more pros that use gut or hybrid that don't have powerpads than those that do.

The only male pros that I can think of are Roger and Haas

wondering if the type of racquet has anything to do with it? some of the older racquets don't have grommets with a more pronounced curve at the bottom part of the frame that the newer racquets have.

when i strung my own racquet with gut i didn't use power pads and it was fine. that being said if i had them i would have used them - just a mental thing

Steve Huff
09-18-2006, 05:06 AM
They did start out on wood rackets, and yes, the bottom holes for the first few holes had different angles around the outer edge of the frame. The top holes were grooved out, so power pads would really be useless there. Martina Navratilova used power pads at the top of her frame, but I think it was mostly for protection of the strings. When they didn't have bumperguards, the string could sink into the power pad and you'd still have leather surrounding the top of the string, so when you scraped it, you'd just scrape leather. The aluminum Prince rackets were another group of rackets (aluminum) that could benefit from at least 1 power pad between the bottom 2 holes. The spacing was very tiny.

As far as adding power or spin, I don't think they really did anything that dropping the tension a pound or 2 wouldn't have done. It just gave a soft surface that would "seat", so as it did, it would loosen slightly (just as new grommets seat and loose a couple of pounds). Some grommetless graphites used them to decrease the sharp angle going around the edge of a hole, but most grommets had raised areas to guide the string and decrease the angle.

edberg505
09-18-2006, 06:21 AM
I use them and I all feel is sort of a dampening effect.

andrew_b
09-18-2006, 07:07 AM
"Everything old is new again".

I remember using strips of old leather grips (Fairway leather was the nicest) to cushion the main strings at the throat of my wood rackets back in the day.

We did this because the leather was much more reliable than the cheap plastic spacer things that were also available, and sometimes broke. Wood rackets, you see, had no grommet system built in, and if you didn't cushion those strings with something, they'd dig right into the frame. Most "standard" string jobs had one pair, on the holes closest to the throat. Those of us that were more advanced had 2, sometimes even 3 pairs.

Boy, were we ahead of our time. We were using power pads!

play well,
Andrew

Hessam
09-18-2006, 11:36 AM
You guys were ahead of the curve indeed.

Also was wondering if there would be a slight tension difference in main strings that they are used on.... since the leather pads provide a little more give on those strings, it would essentially drop the tension by a pound or two on the main strings where the power pads are used.

and lower tension equals more cupping/bowing/power.

I have notices a slight difference in my frames with power pads.
the sweet spot seems slightly more springy and responsive.

jackson vile
09-18-2006, 12:04 PM
You guys were ahead of the curve indeed.

Also was wondering if there would be a slight tension difference in main strings that they are used on.... since the leather pads provide a little more give on those strings, it would essentially drop the tension by a pound or two on the main strings where the power pads are used.

and lower tension equals more cupping/bowing/power.

I have notices a slight difference in my frames with power pads.
the sweet spot seems slightly more springy and responsive.

Very very good points and you give us something to really think about, thank you

I will strat using PP, hey Roger can't be wrong can he?LOL

andrew_b
09-18-2006, 12:44 PM
Nevermind - can't post a link to that site - saw an auction for an old-school stick (Wilson Stan Smith Authograph) that had power pads on it :)

play well,
Andrew

Hessam
09-18-2006, 12:45 PM
also as a poster mentioned earlier in the thread, how flexible your frame is, would make a big difference in the effectiveness of the power pads.

I think this theory makes more sense in more flexible frames, which is why you see players with flexy frames use them more (i.e Pete PS 6.0, Fed PS 6.0/Ncode Tour, Safin PC 600),

As I said the extra liveliness/power I feel is definitely only when I hit the ball right in the sweetspot, not across the entire string bed.

I had one other racquet strung with same string, same tension, for a baseline at the same time, I had the one strung with Power Pads, and I can definitely tell that the sweet spot in the one with power pads is at least 5-10% more lively/powerful than the one without power pads.

Both raquets have the same exact swing weight, balance, set up, with extra long volkl leather grips and two rolls of XL tourna grip on each on top of the leather grip. 18 grams of lead in the 3 and 9 oclock positions, and 9 grams right above the handle.

War, Safin!
09-20-2006, 09:13 AM
Did Sampras use power-pads?
Does Roddick?
Does Safin?

Noveson
09-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Could somebody post a picture of power pads?

slice bh compliment
09-20-2006, 04:59 PM
...Mary Pierce .... Her's looked huge though compared to most others I've seen.....

Yes, she is a well-endowed lady.;)

Noveson
09-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Lol not exactly what I was looking for^

edberg505
09-20-2006, 08:15 PM
Could somebody post a picture of power pads?

Here you go...

http://i10.tinypic.com/4ic6xac.jpg

http://i10.tinypic.com/495y0j6.jpg

drakulie
09-20-2006, 08:46 PM
Nice pics edberg.

Hessam
09-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Did Sampras use power-pads?
Does Roddick?
Does Safin?

this was covered earlier in the thread.
All of the players you mentioned with exception of Roddick, uses them.

Safin uses them, depending on what strings he is playing with.
Pete Sampras always used them.

Henri Leconte had them in the head and the throat (with no head gaurd).
Cedric Pioline used them also.

Of course, Federer and Haas use them as well.

also Mary Pierce said on Tennis Channel that she was told to use them, and tried it and loved it and has used it ever since. Her's looked huge though compared to most others I've seen.

those are the ones I remember off the top of my head.
I'm sure there are more pro's who use them, than the ones I noted above.

edberg505
09-20-2006, 10:21 PM
Nice pics edberg.

Grazie, drakulie. This camera that I have has a really good setting for close ups.

andrew_b
09-24-2006, 06:12 AM
My personal opinion is that the use of leather pads is entirely for the protection/longevity of the string.

I used leather pads on my rackets with thin gut (17 and 18 guage) for years, and when you take them out, the part of the leather that the string has compressed is so hard that it would be almost impossible for it to be contributing any sort of "springiness".

Now, perhaps a slightly lower string tension, etc, is theoretically caused - but in that case, why not just string the main strings at 1/2 pound lower?

play well,
Andrew

Swissv2
09-24-2006, 06:44 AM
so...all these power pad things are is just little bitty square cut pieces of leather?

is it any different than a regular dampener?

tennis-skater
09-24-2006, 08:13 AM
wear would you go to get the leather to cut it, is their any dimensions that they're supposed to be?

andrew_b
09-24-2006, 03:41 PM
wear would you go to get the leather to cut it, is their any dimensions that they're supposed to be?

The best power pads are made from previously used Fairway leather grips. For optimal performance, they must be cut on the diagonal to the grain of the leather, and at a width so that they can be folded once and fit with exactly 1/8" of the pad exposed on each side of the string.

The leather must be folded with the outside of the grip to the outside, with the "raw" side of the leather on the inside. This enables the string to easily "slide" over the pad, creating the power effect, especially on mis-hit shots.

:mrgreen:

They're pieces of leather, cut so they fit under the string. If the leather's not thick, fold it. That easy.

People, really, there's NO MAGIC about these things. It's a hunk of leather to keep thin gut from breaking prematurely in a stress area. That's all.

play well,
Andrew

SFrazeur
09-24-2006, 06:57 PM
Andrew, that was the best instructions given for how to make/use powerpads.

Mods, that should be put in the Racquet FAQs.

foetz
09-24-2006, 11:06 PM
Just tried power pads for first time in my raquet. I asked my stringer why they call them power pads, instead of just leather pads, and he said that since the pads actually provide a little more give on the main strings that they are used on (which basically consists of the main strings in the sweetspot of the racquet), this increases the string bowing effect, which increases dwell time and ultimately does provide the sense of having more power in the racquet.

He said that is why they fold them several times, because they provide slightly more "give" than just one layer. he said also because it slightly lengthens the strings in the sweetspot, and that makes sense too, as oversized racquets have much more power than mid and Midsize frames.

Any thoughts on this.... Seemed to make sense to me. and I can definitely feel the difference in my PC600.

by the way he said that they should be replaced at each striniging because as leather gets worn down, it looses it's "give" to the main strings which reduces the extra "bowing", or "cupping" effect, which is why natural gut is known as the ultimate power string, because of the extreme bowing or cupping effect of the ball.

nice theory and right BUT it doesn't matter. if you don't string around something like 10kp the pads get crunched down to their very mass after pulling the related string so not much left for some kinda buffer effect.
also e.g. they don't replace the vibrastop cause they're placed outside the frame.

actually they have 2 effects: widen angle and prohibiting frame contact.

everything else is myth. they're just relics from the old days.

Hessam
09-26-2006, 07:40 AM
Myth or not..I have had them on two of my racquets for about 2 weeks now ( 1 racquet without), and they are all setup exactly alike, and I can definitely tell a difference between the power padded racquets, specially when I hit the ball dead in the center of the sweet spot. The sweet spot (note only the sweet spot, not the entire stringbed of the racquet) feels 5-10% livelier and springier than my base racquet (same racquet, string, tension, etc...)...

They do definitely lengthen the strings which they are used on, which does produce more power.

as far as lower tension on entire string bed, I don't think that, that would prodcue the same effect, as the power pads are only decreasing tension on the main strings in the sweet spot, where they are used on.

When the ball is hit dead on in the swee spot, the little give of the leather pads on the those strings + the slightly enlongated string length on the main strings in the sweet spot, definitely produce more cupping/bowing, and an overall livelier sweet spot.

Everyone should try it to see if it's right for them, their frame, and their set-up.

I would imagine, that with some frames, strings and tensions, it wouldn't make as much a difference as a base set up.

but, Pete, Roger, marat and the hundreds of other pros who insist on them can't be all wrong.

I don't think they use them only to lengthen their string life. although I don't dispute that they do lengthen string life speicallly on Nat Gut.

War, Safin!
09-26-2006, 08:13 AM
Pete, Roger, Marat and the hundreds of other pros who insist on them can't be all wrong.

I don't think they use them only to lengthen their string life. although I don't dispute that they do lengthen string life speicallly on Nat Gut.
Can't see any evidence of dampening or power-pads on this photo:
http://www.safinator.com/usopen_06/19259_marat4_122_308lo.jpg

War, Safin!
09-26-2006, 08:24 AM
But go back one year and:
http://www.safinator.com/aussie3_05/52041444.jpg

jackson vile
09-26-2006, 10:19 AM
The reason you see them and then don't is due to type of string used, as said above some stringers always string gut with power pads to be sure of no premature breakage.

Others demand power pads no matter what string they are using as they think it feels better and has a better effect.

The facts are is that it does indeed increase the length of the mains, so you end up with with a larger sweeter sweetspot.

foetz
09-27-2006, 08:24 PM
Myth or not..I have had them on two of my racquets for about 2 weeks now ( 1 racquet without), and they are all setup exactly alike, and I can definitely tell a difference between the power padded racquets, specially when I hit the ball dead in the center of the sweet spot. The sweet spot (note only the sweet spot, not the entire stringbed of the racquet) feels 5-10% livelier and springier than my base racquet (same racquet, string, tension, etc...)...

well i use them (again) for, eh, 3 years?
you're sure the 2 both sticks are EXACTLY the same?
anyway if you think you feel something - great, keep using them.

They do definitely lengthen the strings which they are used on, which does produce more power.

sure but how much more length? 1cm? and you can feel that?

as far as lower tension on entire string bed, I don't think that, that would prodcue the same effect, as the power pads are only decreasing tension on the main strings in the sweet spot, where they are used on.

agreed.

but, Pete, Roger, marat and the hundreds of other pros who insist on them can't be all wrong.

wow, you asked all of them why they're using pads?
and they even told you they'd be insisting on them?
especially marat ...

well that's the point, thinking is not knowing.
i could also think of that it depends on how big serena's butt is at the moment :mrgreen:

War, Safin!
09-28-2006, 03:23 AM
wow, you asked all of them why they're using pads?
and they even told you they'd be insisting on them?
especially marat ...

No power-pads being used:

mgm
09-28-2006, 10:13 AM
No, power pads just soften the stringbed, the only reason they put on old wooden racquet was to stop the strings from sawing or digging into the wooden frames Today pros are using power pads to soften the stringbed due to the harshness of poly string.

foetz
09-28-2006, 10:47 AM
No power-pads being used:

exactly

drakulie
09-28-2006, 12:33 PM
actually they have 2 effects: widen angle and prohibiting frame contact.

everything else is myth. they're just relics from the old days.

You are correct that powerpads widen angle, and prohibit frame contact.

However, they do soften the string bed, and give it a more muted feel.

foetz
09-28-2006, 04:04 PM
You are correct that powerpads widen angle, and prohibit frame contact.

However, they do soften the string bed, and give it a more muted feel.

of course they do. anyhow i doubt that many players are able to feel that cause one needs a very fine touch to do so.
i dare to say that the majority does it cause they think it's cool or so ... :D

drakulie
09-28-2006, 04:24 PM
of course they do. anyhow i doubt that many players are able to feel that cause one needs a very fine touch to do so.
i dare to say that the majority does it cause they think it's cool or so ... :D

Regardless if it is cool or not, it is not a myth. Furthermore, it is really not that hard to tell when one has them installed vs, unistalled. The feel is very different.

foetz
09-28-2006, 06:24 PM
Regardless if it is cool or not, it is not a myth. Furthermore, it is really not that hard to tell when one has them installed vs, unistalled. The feel is very different.

well 'very different' is going from 32kp to 20kp :D
anyway i bet 7 out of 10 players wouldn't notice it if they couldn't see them.

drakulie
09-28-2006, 07:12 PM
They may not be able to notice there are pads on the racquet, but I'm certain most people who regularly have their racquets strung would notice a difference if pads were installed without their knowledge.

Richie Rich
09-28-2006, 08:08 PM
They may not be able to notice there are pads on the racquet, but I'm certain most people who regularly have their racquets strung would notice a difference if pads were installed without their knowledge.

i would know, even if i was blindfolded.

Robbie_1988
10-24-2006, 05:07 PM
Wait. You have to hit the ball first to know. It's a bit hard with blindfolds on LOL.

travlerajm
10-24-2006, 05:54 PM
If the pads weigh a couple of grams, the weight difference would be noticed - slightly increasing power.

patrick922
10-24-2006, 06:12 PM
what happens if you use some kind of rubber substance instead of leather? what would happen, would it increas the bowing effect?

Steve Huff
10-24-2006, 09:01 PM
After thinking about this for a second, I can see how they would increase power. Like a Babolat's woofer system, it does increase string length minimally, but I think the power increase would be from the increase angle of the string entering the hole. This would decrease friction, and could possibly add to power. I think this is the theory behind the woofer system too. It not only increases string length, but if you notice, part of the system has to do with the angle which the holes are drilled. Truthfully, I've never added them to increase power, only to keep the string from having to make such a sharp angle into the holes at the throat.

slice bh compliment
10-24-2006, 09:03 PM
what happens if you use some kind of rubber substance instead of leather? what would happen, would it increas the bowing effect?

;) I think it would work, but best of all, your racquet wouldn't get your girlfriend's racquet pregnant if they ever spent time in the same bag.

Lambsscroll
12-16-2006, 04:14 AM
Lets suppose that power pads offer a slight difference in feel when you hit the sweet spot, I would think that this would help a player to strike the ball more consistently in that area. What I mean is over time a player would be drawn to that area with each stroke. Just a thought.

Bertie B
12-16-2006, 07:34 AM
I use them. They were different, cool and I had to try 'em.

I added them to the throat to take away the "ping" sound. It worked. Then I added some on the top of the racket to see if I could lengthen string life (incorrigible string breaker, here), verdict still out. But, I've noticed I get a lot more control, and heaps of spin.

String: Unique Big Hitter 17g - Mains (54lbs) & Gosen 17g - Crosses (62lbs)

chiru
12-16-2006, 10:16 AM
question for andrew about the powerpad installation
1) where can u still get fairways!?
2) if you fold it over, how do you get one side to be raw and another smooth, maybe im geometrically challenged, but i feel like once i fold it over, either teh smooth will be folded onto or the raw will be folded onto, no?

WhiteSox05CA
12-16-2006, 05:42 PM
Where would you buy some of these pads??

Lambsscroll
12-17-2006, 02:40 AM
Take an old leather grip and cut out a square that can be folded and there you go. I have seen some that weren't folded because the leather was so thick.

Rabbit
12-18-2006, 07:09 AM
I think the name power pads is a misnomer. You have to remember that the little piece of leather used there is compressed totally by the tension put on it. All you're doing is changing the angle of the string as it comes around. I have a pack of plastic power pads that I bought some years ago. These have absolutely no give at all. I really don't think the addition of power pads does anything to enhance power or spin.

The only thing I've ever seen power pads used for is to round out an angle where a string, natural gut, is too severe and could break. I recently strung a Yonex RDS 001 98 for a buddy of mine. He uses Titan natural gut and Yonex 850 in the crosses. The gut broke at the grommet, so I used power pads when restringing to help prlong the life of the string. I remember reading that Navratilova & Shriver were very cost concious. They would practice with synthetic gut and only use natural gut when they played tournaments. That may well explain why Navratilova had power pads installed all over the head, she was trying to save string.

NoBadMojo
12-18-2006, 07:21 AM
I think the name power pads is a misnomer. You have to remember that the little piece of leather used there is compressed totally by the tension put on it. All you're doing is changing the angle of the string as it comes around. I have a pack of plastic power pads that I bought some years ago. These have absolutely no give at all. I really don't think the addition of power pads does anything to enhance power or spin.

The only thing I've ever seen power pads used for is to round out an angle where a string, natural gut, is too severe and could break. I recently strung a Yonex RDS 001 98 for a buddy of mine. He uses Titan natural gut and Yonex 850 in the crosses. The gut broke at the grommet, so I used power pads when restringing to help prlong the life of the string. I remember reading that Navratilova & Shriver were very cost concious. They would practice with synthetic gut and only use natural gut when they played tournaments. That may well explain why Navratilova had power pads installed all over the head, she was trying to save string.

Rabbit, those Yonex pancake flipper headshapes like Navrat used would shear gut quite easily and i think that is why they power padded those frames more than others. Remember Andres Gomez? he had his Yonexes' power padded both at the throat and the head. We used to both power pad and tube the throat mains on wooden frames. I agree with you..power pads do absolutely nothing as far as power levels go. Speaking of Gomez, i ate breakfast one morning right next to him....he ate like 6 fried eggs, bacon, and hash browns...training table is a bit different these days ;)

Richie Rich
12-18-2006, 08:02 AM
Speaking of Gomez, i ate breakfast one morning right next to him....he ate like 6 fried eggs, bacon, and hash browns...training table is a bit different these days ;)

sounds no different than when he played. he was pretty big when he won the FO then went out of control afterwards.

NoBadMojo
12-18-2006, 08:28 AM
sounds no different than when he played. he was pretty big when he won the FO then went out of control afterwards.

he is a hulk of a guy...a guy that big as a clay courter always surprises me.

BreakPoint
12-18-2006, 11:11 AM
Jose Acasuso has always reminded be of Gomez. Another big clay courter from South America.
http://www.atptennis.com/5/en/players/playerprofiles/?playernumber=A389
http://www.atptennis.com/5/en/players/playerprofiles/?playernumber=G023

And I guess you can add Victor Pecci to this list, too. ;)
http://www.atptennis.com/5/en/players/playerprofiles/?playernumber=P015

And I agree, power pads do nothing to increase power. Does anyone know why people call them "power pads" to begin with? :confused:

Ripper
12-18-2006, 11:23 AM
The less things I have to put on my raquet, the better. And that includes power pads.

Fedace
12-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Power pads are leather pieces, how can that possibly provide more power?

Rabbit
12-18-2006, 11:57 AM
Rabbit, those Yonex pancake flipper headshapes like Navrat used would shear gut quite easily and i think that is why they power padded those frames more than others. Remember Andres Gomez? he had his Yonexes' power padded both at the throat and the head. We used to both power pad and tube the throat mains on wooden frames. I agree with you..power pads do absolutely nothing as far as power levels go. Speaking of Gomez, i ate breakfast one morning right next to him....he ate like 6 fried eggs, bacon, and hash browns...training table is a bit different these days ;)

Yep, as noted in my previous post. Navratilova used them solely to extend the life of her string job(s); as did Gomez.

Hessam
04-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Power pads extend the main strings where they are used by a few extra millimieters. that will provide more power to any racket. Look at the entire concept behind the V engine Volkl rackets....the reason why these rackets
claim to have a bigger sweetspot and provide more power is because of the slightly lengthened center main strings.

Power pads....to a smaller degree provide the same effect. they longer you lengthen strings...the more power you produce..that is a very simple equations..just look at Oversize rackets.....so power pads to technically provide more power (even if this a very small amount to even be noticed by the average person)....but it's impossible to argue against this fact.

joeyscl
04-06-2007, 12:34 PM
The power is probably from the added swing weight and change of balance...

pow
04-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Anyone have a picture of Federer with Power Pads? I've never noticed it before.

Hessam
04-06-2007, 09:02 PM
prob true...but it's more likely that it's a combination of all of these factors..increased swing weight, longer main strings, and possilbe decreased tension (more power) in the main strings where they are used.

pow
04-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Anyone have a picture of Federer with Power Pads? I've never noticed it before.

anyone? I didn't even know of their existence before this thread. :)

ShcMad
04-07-2007, 08:47 PM
anyone? I didn't even know of their existence before this thread. :)

I couldn't find any good close-up pictures of Federer's racquet. I know these are not the best pictures showing power pads, but here they are nonetheless:

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040525/040525_federer_vmed_10a.vmedium.jpg

Those 3 black bumps on the throat of Fed's racquet are the power pads.

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200501/28/images/safin1p.jpg

The 4 brown bumps on the throat are Safin's racquet's power pads.

Today, I got to hit a couple balls with my racquet, which I got it strung with leather pads just for the sake of trying them out, and I must say that the levels of feel or power level aren't too noticeable. I have yet to do a little more testing because today was cold, so I didn't play for too long. However, I noticed that the pads do mute the stringbed. The pads clearly got rid of the small amount of vibration that comes after the ball hits the stringbed, and it replaced the usual 'ping' sound with a subtle sound. But, the pads don't totally act like an ordinary vibration dampener. There's still a difference in sound and feel during contact with the ball. I cannot describe it, but the ordinary dampener gives more of a 'thud' sound while the pads give out a muted sound. And, for some reason, the stringbed feels a tad stiffer with power pads, but that might be because the leather I used wasn't soft enough.

nhstennis
04-07-2007, 09:14 PM
can you use syn grips bt. the frame and string to produce the same feel???

stormholloway
04-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Seems like pointless customization nonsense to me. Wouldn't decreasing tension add this power as well? Or perhaps you could just buy a midplus if you wanted more power?

There has to be a compromise here. If you're extending the string bed, then it must lower the control, just as a larger string bed would do this.

Hessam
04-07-2007, 11:11 PM
Seems like pointless customization nonsense to me. Wouldn't decreasing tension add this power as well? Or perhaps you could just buy a midplus if you wanted more power?

There has to be a compromise here. If you're extending the string bed, then it must lower the control, just as a larger string bed would do this.

you are only lengthening the 8 (safin's racket), or 6 (fed's/pete's racekts), as opposed to lengthening the entire string bed as a midplus or oversize racket would do.

also on the point of lowering tension..... again you are potentially lowering tension (by the strings having slightly more give), or those strings (the sweetspot) that the powerpads are used on, as opposed to lowering tension on the entire stringbed and losing control.

the difference with or without powerpads cannot even be felt with some rackets...but if you have a flexible racket with a thin beam, with proper strings the affect is slight but noticeable.... you have to hit the center of sweetpost to feel the extra livliness of the stringbed with power pads.

rasajadad
04-08-2007, 03:44 AM
I too used these in the "old days". But when I got my 3rd frame, (see my sig. below,) there were power pads. One pair in the first two strings that went outside the throat. In other words, the 3rd main left and right of center. As I didn't think it was even within the sweet spot I couldn't believe they were performance related.

I do think that if you installed them on a modern racquet where the grommets "lock" the string in place, that it would create the O3 or woofer effect. I.e. more power.

Hessam
04-08-2007, 10:24 AM
It has nothing to do with a modern frame or not....it depends on a frame with great feel and feeback (i.e. flexible, this beam frame)....

You will not sense the affect of power pads on most medium to highpowered rackets.

rounick
04-09-2007, 05:10 AM
Power pads or leather pads or whatever you wanna call them,do have some effect on the racquet,simply because they certainly change the mechanical characteristics of the frame/string combination.Wheter their effect is substantial or even noticeable,is another conversation.
If you ever have cut the strings from your racquets you would have noticed how they come out from the grommets in Π shapes.
Also,have you noticed that it is always the mains that break?..

stormholloway
04-09-2007, 05:21 AM
Wouldn't these things just lead to greater tension loss, as the leather 'gives' over time?

rounick
04-09-2007, 05:28 AM
Wouldn't these things just lead to greater tension loss, as the leather 'gives' over time?

On the contrary!

It is because they add that little give that the pads might help in preserving string tension.

stormholloway
04-09-2007, 05:40 AM
Please explain. Because the leather slowly submits to the tight string, thereby compressing and slowly losing tension.

I see no other way to look at it.

rounick
04-09-2007, 06:23 AM
I will try.

Please remember that this is a speculation,based upon my experience and studies,and not intended to be considered as anything but that.

My point is that,
in a "pad-less" racquet,it is the strings that absorb the impact energry between ball and stringbed,deforming momentarily before "snaping back".After some time and many repetitions,this deformation becomes plastic,permanent,meaning loss of tension.

With pads,some (significant?,petit?,unnoticeable?,I have no way of knowing but definitely some) portion of the energy will be absorbed by the pad,leaving less "work" for the strings.That way the string might hold it's tension a little longer.

Also,because the 8 mains are prolonged by a 2-3 mm margin,that might give the impression of a bigger sweetspot.The rounder shape around which the strings go might also help in creating a kind of "pulley" effect,transferring loads to more main strings,again giving the impression of a bigger sweetspot.

stormholloway
04-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Actually that makes perfect sense. The power pads compress instead of the strings stretching. Maybe I'll give them a go. I can't see it being a huge mistake.

drakulie
04-09-2007, 05:17 PM
I have been using power pads for years. I have never noticed any increase in speed or the sweetspot getting larger. The only reason I use them is because they dampen the feel of the strings (mains).

ShcMad
04-09-2007, 05:23 PM
I have been using power pads for years. I have never noticed any increase in speed or the sweetspot getting larger. The only reason I use them is because they dampen the feel of the strings (mains).

Yeah, the sound is quite distinctive. With the power pads, my racquet stringbed doesn't sound like it has a vibration dampener, but at the same time, it doesn't give out that loud 'ping' sound that strings produce when you hit the ball. With the vibration dampener, the sound is more of a 'thud'. With the power pads, the sound is a tad louder and sharper.

Here's a video where you might get the sense of what kind of sound it produces:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDltadqKFGo

stormholloway
04-09-2007, 05:44 PM

So you're saying that power pads, combined with SW2, will put me on tour in less than two years?

Sold.

Hessam
04-09-2007, 06:48 PM
you can say whatever you want about powerpads.... but the pure physical facts in its favor producing more power are undeniable.

power pads do stretch the main strings by a few m.meters.....

power pads to add to swingweight of a racket.....

power pads to potential decrease tension on the main strings they are used on.... ( by absorbing some of the shock, and producing more give on the stringbed sweetspot)......

Maybe it's the combination of all these factors...maybe it's just one factor in a small frame as in a PS 6.0 85, but if you set up two frames exactly the same, one with and one without powerpads.....on certain frames the affect of power pads is there.....

If you hit the ball right in the sweetspot...the sweetspot seems to have more liveliness, and less shock (better feedback on your stroke).

It's all together possible that it will help a stringbed to retain tension longer as one of the other posters indicated.

mctennis
04-10-2007, 04:29 PM
The reason for using power pads is to keep the sharp angle of the racquets grommets from cutting into the strings and breaking them. I use gut strings and if I don't have the power pads installed the strings break prematurely.

Hessam
04-11-2007, 06:52 AM
The reason for using power pads is to keep the sharp angle of the racquets grommets from cutting into the strings and breaking them. I use gut strings and if I don't have the power pads installed the strings break prematurely.

that's only one of the reasons...and that was only true on older wood rackets.... Powe pads do really provide in very small incremental increase in power in some frames.

drakulie
04-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Yeah, the sound is quite distinctive. With the power pads, my racquet stringbed doesn't sound like it has a vibration dampener, but at the same time, it doesn't give out that loud 'ping' sound that strings produce when you hit the ball. With the vibration dampener, the sound is more of a 'thud'. With the power pads, the sound is a tad louder and sharper.

My experience exactly.

Rabbit
04-11-2007, 09:28 AM
I'm sorry, but how can power pads increase the power of a frame when they are compressed by around 60 pounds of tension? They do not compress and release energy back to the frame. The little strip of leather is already compressed down as far as it can go with the tension applied to the strings.

The only reason they exist is to eliminate sharp angles which can shorten the life of string jobs, most notaly natural gut.

Most of today's rackets have grommet systems built to accommodate this. I only use them when stringing a couple of Yonex frames with natural gut as they have sharp angles.

Midlife crisis
04-13-2007, 12:29 AM
that's only one of the reasons...and that was only true on older wood rackets.... Powe pads do really provide in very small incremental increase in power in some frames.

No, they won't. The friction between the string and the hole is sufficient to prevent the string from sliding back and forth if the power pad were to have any give. Just take a look at the string next to your tie off string. Notice how it stays tight even if your tie-off string is loose?

Also, notice that when you cut remove strings, that the string sections inside the holes are not worn or abraded in any way whether you use power pads or not, as they would be if they constantly moved in and out as you say.

Hessam
04-13-2007, 11:03 AM
I'm sorry, but how can power pads increase the power of a frame when they are compressed by around 60 pounds of tension? They do not compress and release energy back to the frame. The little strip of leather is already compressed down as far as it can go with the tension applied to the strings.

The only reason they exist is to eliminate sharp angles which can shorten the life of string jobs, most notaly natural gut.

Most of today's rackets have grommet systems built to accommodate this. I only use them when stringing a couple of Yonex frames with natural gut as they have sharp angles.

Increased swingweight plus longer strings = more power

Rabbit
04-14-2007, 06:27 AM
Increased swingweight plus longer strings = more power

Surely you jest. How much longer do you think a power pad makes a string? I don't think a little piece of leather even weighs one gram.

mctennis
04-14-2007, 06:48 AM
Surely you jest. How much longer do you think a power pad makes a string? I don't think a little piece of leather even weighs one gram.

Zackly.... It doesn't really add anything to it. Only function is to keep the strings from breaking in the frame.

drakulie
04-14-2007, 10:16 AM
^^^^ Well, it does mute the mains, and takes out a lot of the annoying vibration/ping from the racquet. But I agree it surely doesn't add any power.

Hessam
04-14-2007, 09:43 PM

On my racket the power pads make the strings 4.5mm longer than where they would normally sit if they were to sit inside the grommets.

4mm might not make a huge difference...but you can't argue the physics...

longer strings=more power.

Now you can say all you want that the power increase is negligible etc.... but don't sound stupid and say with 100% certainty that there is absolutely no difference that that slight difference in string lenght will make.

also power pads might weight 1gram or more.

Voltron
04-14-2007, 09:46 PM
OK, I have a question, how do you make power pads, and where do you put them? I have a bunch of leather, so what do I do?

Thanks,
Volt

Rabbit
04-15-2007, 06:38 AM
On my racket the power pads make the strings 4.5mm longer than where they would normally sit if they were to sit inside the grommets.

4mm might not make a huge difference...but you can't argue the physics...

longer strings=more power.

Now you can say all you want that the power increase is negligible etc.... but don't sound stupid and say with 100% certainty that there is absolutely no difference that that slight difference in string lenght will make.

also power pads might weight 1gram or more.

Sorry, but the only stupidity here is overthinking your gear. And, to say that power pads "might" weigh more than one gram is hardly a stirring defense of your original premise. Fact is, they don't add any more power and they don't add any weight. I would also like to know how you measured the difference in your mains. I don't think you're right.

Power pads are created by cutting a section of leather and then folding it in two. Or, if you can still find them, they make plastic ones. I bought a pack many years ago and still have them.

Power pads really don't have much use on today's frames as the grommet system handles the angles the string takes.

drakulie
04-15-2007, 07:10 AM
OK, I have a question, how do you make power pads, and where do you put them? I have a bunch of leather, so what do I do?

Thanks,
Volt

Volt, power pads are simple peices of leather. Just cut out a small square or rectangle (small enought to fit under you strings), and place them in the throat. I make them from the leather strings used to string up baseball gloves. They are flat pieces of string, so they fit nicely under the string.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/drakulie/102_0645.jpg

whatsgood4u
04-15-2007, 02:11 PM
I used power pads once and I did notice some extra feel. Othe than that no real difference for me.

archangelkc
05-11-2007, 02:28 PM
power pads do decrease the angle of the string in the frame like everyone else is stating already. they also provide more power to a racquet. Power pads increase the length of the main strings where the power pads are placed... this acts like the babolat woofer technology and provides the racquet with more power.

drakulie
05-11-2007, 04:29 PM
^^^^ No they don't provide more power.

ryohazuki222
05-11-2007, 04:47 PM
i don't know.... I tried power pads out for the first time today and they were pretty powerful.

I strung up Gosen Micro 17 at 60 pounds on a slaz x1 with powerpads at the throat. Earlier in the day I was having trouble generating much power on my E-matrix 16g 60lbs setup -- which is weird... as it generally did play pretty powerfully... May game picked up and I played as usual, but when I switched to the gosen/pads it was extremely powerful.

Then again, I've only recently started messing around with full syn gut setups again. I've basically been a poly guy all school year.

I'm gonna string another racket up without pads and the same setup and give my personal opinion on what the differences are. Thankfully I broke strings on 2 of my three rackets today....

I should say, that although i hated the gosen/pads at first -- couldnt keep the ball in play!!! when I switched back to it (because I had no other rackets left) I really liked it. Thinking about it now, it may just be that i needed to break in the gosen. I remember now the first time I played with it i hated it for the first half hour or so, and then it started to shine...

AlpineCadet
05-24-2007, 03:02 PM

There is still some give in the leather pads, even under tension. Would you think a stiff piece of plastic feels softer than compressed leather? I think not!

Rabbit
05-25-2007, 04:31 AM
There is still some give in the leather pads, even under tension. Would you think a stiff piece of plastic feels softer than compressed leather? I think not!

And, are you aware that there are newer power pads made of plastic? I have a bag of these. They are little plastic pieces that are designed to deflect the angle of the string. They were also designed, as a convenince, to replace the leather power pads.

So, yes, I agree that plastic doesn't give, and you are wrong. If you'll examine those leather power pads, you'll see that they are compressed. If there is any "give", it's negligible and doesn't contribute anything to the power of the frame.

Again, it's solely to increase the life of natural gut or any other string.

War, Safin!
05-25-2007, 05:52 AM
Volt, power pads are simple peices of leather. Just cut out a small square or rectangle (small enought to fit under you strings), and place them in the throat. I make them from the leather strings used to string up baseball gloves. They are flat pieces of string, so they fit nicely under the string.
Drakulie - how does one actually fit these pieces of leather/power-pads under the string: during the stringing itself or can you slip them through between string and grommet afterwards? :confused:

drakulie
05-25-2007, 07:16 AM
^^^ You have to place them under the string before tensioning it. You place them under the loop, and then tension the string.

AlpineCadet
05-25-2007, 04:10 PM
And, are you aware that there are newer power pads made of plastic? I have a bag of these. They are little plastic pieces that are designed to deflect the angle of the string. They were also designed, as a convenince, to replace the leather power pads.

So, yes, I agree that plastic doesn't give, and you are wrong. If you'll examine those leather power pads, you'll see that they are compressed. If there is any "give", it's negligible and doesn't contribute anything to the power of the frame.

Again, it's solely to increase the life of natural gut or any other string.

Well, that's just your opinion. http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=1467187&postcount=106

Rabbit
05-26-2007, 03:39 AM
^No, it's not just my opinion. It's a fact shared by many who don't try an overthink their gear.

AlpineCadet
05-26-2007, 09:02 AM
That's just your opinion--without factual basis. I don't see why you have to force your opinion on someone--unless you're a CHILD who needs validation from everyone.

drakulie
05-26-2007, 09:35 AM
^No, it's not just my opinion. It's a fact shared by many who don't try an overthink their gear.

Agreed. You are arguing with someone who thinks an 89.5 inch racquet is larger than a 90.

MTXR
05-26-2007, 11:09 AM
do power pads dampen just a tad? I wouldn't mind a slight dampening effect without using a vibe damp. I been vibe damp free for a year now and i like it. I just need a tiny bit dampening and it would be perfect.

Rabbit
05-26-2007, 01:43 PM
^they really don't. All they do is change the angle of the string. Leather was used because what else do you do with old grips? They made these little plastic ones for a while, I don't think they do any more, and they were ok if your frame was flat on the outside. If the grommet sunk in any, they would break under the string tension and were basically useless.

drakulie
05-26-2007, 03:32 PM
do power pads dampen just a tad? I wouldn't mind a slight dampening effect without using a vibe damp. I been vibe damp free for a year now and i like it. I just need a tiny bit dampening and it would be perfect.

They take away some of the vibration in the mains. Sometimes when I use them, I don't even use the vibration dampener.

AlpineCadet
05-26-2007, 06:35 PM

I don't see why you can't just try it out for yourself.

Richie Rich
05-27-2007, 09:43 AM
^they really don't. All they do is change the angle of the string.

exactly. have no idea how they became known as "power pads".

some racquets even have rounded grommets so you don't need to use power pads.

my stringer (who strings at grand slams) still uses them when he strings with gut but says it's just habit and he doesn't really need to use them.

Fedace
05-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Drakulie - how does one actually fit these pieces of leather/power-pads under the string: during the stringing itself or can you slip them through between string and grommet afterwards? :confused:

You do it after the stringing is done. You just lift up the string on the bridge of the racket and slip them in..;)

Fedace
05-27-2007, 10:01 AM
Please explain. Because the leather slowly submits to the tight string, thereby compressing and slowly losing tension.

I see no other way to look at it.

I know the very tight tension in the string will provide extreme heat on the power pads and the power produced by the power pads produced chemical reaction and million of degree of heat that made the world trade center to come crashing down.;)

Richie Rich
05-27-2007, 10:04 AM
You do it after the stringing is done. You just lift up the string on the bridge of the racket and slip them in..;)

you're joking. i know you're joking.

AlpineCadet
05-27-2007, 10:05 AM
SHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it's a secret. Stay away from them.

Richie Rich
05-27-2007, 10:07 AM
SHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it's a secret. Stay away from them.

:cool: :wink: :mrgreen:

Fedace
05-27-2007, 10:12 AM
you're joking. i know you're joking.

A real Man with a very strong fingers can do the job right.;)

Rabbit
05-27-2007, 10:48 AM
exactly. have no idea how they became known as "power pads".

some racquets even have rounded grommets so you don't need to use power pads.

my stringer (who strings at grand slams) still uses them when he strings with gut but says it's just habit and he doesn't really need to use them.

Yep, most manufacturers have realized that the angle was something they could correct with grommets and have done so. I very seldom get to use them, the only frames now are pretty much Yonex frames that come in. The rest are taking care of it with the grommets.

joeyscl
05-27-2007, 11:41 AM
perhaps just more powerful cuz now you're racquet is more head heavy....

Hessam
05-29-2007, 09:18 AM
I don't think that the power increase is that pronounced.

power pads do longer the strings by a very slight margin, which could produce a little more liveliness

they do also have the effect of adding a little weight to the hoop of the frame, which could inrease power very very slightly.

but I don't think that with today's modern frames, as powerful as they are, most people will ever get to notice that power. Maybe if you're using a PC600 or PS 6.1, you will notice the power gains from power pads a little more,
which might be why we mostly see players like sampra, federer and safin use them in the past......

just a thought...

AlpineCadet
05-29-2007, 10:56 AM
Yep, most manufacturers have realized that the angle was something they could correct with grommets and have done so. I very seldom get to use them, the only frames now are pretty much Yonex frames that come in. The rest are taking care of it with the grommets.

What are you talking about? I'm confused.

Rabbit
05-29-2007, 11:01 AM
I don't think that the power increase is that pronounced.

power pads do longer the strings by a very slight margin, which could produce a little more liveliness

they do also have the effect of adding a little weight to the hoop of the frame, which could inrease power very very slightly.

but I don't think that with today's modern frames, as powerful as they are, most people will ever get to notice that power. Maybe if you're using a PC600 or PS 6.1, you will notice the power gains from power pads a little more,
which might be why we mostly see players like sampra, federer and safin use them in the past......

just a thought...

This is an example of "overthinking" gear. The added string length is probably not even measurable. I dare say 6 leather power pads don't weight a gram and they are not placed so as to add weight in a strategic location to add power.

The reason sampras used power pads was the same reason everyone else used them, to keep his gut from breaking.

What are you talking about? I'm confused.

If you look at the grommets produced today, many of them have built in "power pads" of sorts. The grommets are rounded where they need to be to deflect the angle of the string thereby eliminating the need for power pads.

AlpineCadet
05-29-2007, 11:07 AM
You should tell that to Roger and Safin.

Hessam
05-29-2007, 12:28 PM
Like I said..I don't think the very slight added power of power pads are even noticeable on most of today's powerful rackets....

but the physics point to the conclusion that power pads should theoritically provide a very minor increase in liveliness in your stringbed.

you can't argue physics... longer string = more power
more mass = more power

Gimmick
05-29-2007, 02:46 PM
0.3% increase in weight + 0.5% increase in length = statistically insignificant.
Unless you can sense a dramatic difference in a 2lb looser sting bed (0.8%) I am not going to believe power pads make enough of a difference. You can't argue the math.

In Federer's case I would believe that between the change in vibration frequencies and 0.8% difference in power he might care. Very few of us are in that league.

AlpineCadet
05-29-2007, 03:01 PM
Have any of you who speak of power pads tried them out in real life? If not, then it's time to pipe down and actually try them before making any further statements.

Gimmick
05-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Where do you think the numbers come from?
Furthermore, as I reflect on it the angle theory holds more water with Federer due to his reverse Hybrid pattern. If he used the conventional poly main gut cross even he would abscond from power pads.

pennc94
05-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Where do you think the numbers come from?
Furthermore, as I reflect on it the angle theory holds more water with Federer due to his reverse Hybrid pattern. If he used the conventional poly main gut cross even he would abscond from power pads.

I tend to believe your "feel" argument for Federer's case. I doubt he has them for string life. Doesn't he switch frames every ball change? Are his racquets ever re-used from one match to another? Some goes for his use of string savers. It must be for feel.

Rabbit
05-30-2007, 04:48 AM
Have any of you who speak of power pads tried them out in real life? If not, then it's time to pipe down and actually try them before making any further statements.

Well yeah. I grew up playing with wood when EVERY string job had them. I further used them when I strung my Yonnies back when I played with an R7. I didn't use them on my RD-Tour because it quite frankly didn't need them and I wasn't using gut at the time.

I used them as recently as a couple of years ago when I got a wild hair and played an entire year of league (spring, mixed, and combo) with a bunch of Head Vilas frames. Now, they did need them because I was stringing them with Pacific Natural Gut.

So yeah, I have experience with and without them.

Can you answer same?

Doesn't Federer use gut mains and poly crosses?

Also, looking at pictures of Federer's frame during Hamburg and the Russel match, it does not appear that he even uses power pads....

AlpineCadet
05-30-2007, 09:45 AM
Well yeah. I grew up playing with wood when EVERY string job had them. I further used them when I strung my Yonnies back when I played with an R7. I didn't use them on my RD-Tour because it quite frankly didn't need them and I wasn't using gut at the time.

I used them as recently as a couple of years ago when I got a wild hair and played an entire year of league (spring, mixed, and combo) with a bunch of Head Vilas frames. Now, they did need them because I was stringing them with Pacific Natural Gut.

So yeah, I have experience with and without them.

Can you answer same?

Doesn't Federer use gut mains and poly crosses?

Also, looking at pictures of Federer's frame during Hamburg and the Russel match, it does not appear that he even uses power pads....

Check your eyesight again. And to make a long answer short, YES I have/am.

Hessam
05-30-2007, 11:50 AM
I have been using them for about 2 years now.

I can definitely tell a slight difference in my string be being a little more lively/more feel with power pads.

however on some of my older frames I could not detect any increase power...but with my PC600 I can detect the very slight difference.

uni
06-04-2007, 03:34 PM
after i strung my racket with power pads, i seemed to lose tension really fast. is that because the leather is being compressed??

AlpineCadet
06-04-2007, 03:37 PM
have you tried those strings before? maybe you're changing too many factors at once and getting ahead of yourself.

Hessam
06-05-2007, 11:09 AM
have you tried those strings before? maybe you're changing too many factors at once and getting ahead of yourself.

Yeah that's good advice..you should only change one parameter at a time.

flyboy1
06-05-2007, 11:34 AM
0.3% increase in weight + 0.5% increase in length = statistically insignificant.
Unless you can sense a dramatic difference in a 2lb looser sting bed (0.8%) I am not going to believe power pads make enough of a difference. You can't argue the math.

In Federer's case I would believe that between the change in vibration frequencies and 0.8% difference in power he might care. Very few of us are in that league.

"statistically insignificant"? How do you know this? Did you run a regression on the results or something? "Statistically insignificant" implies a specified significance level (0.1, 0.05, 0.01; which are the typical levels used in research). What significance level were you using when you did your analysis? What is your threashold for insignificance? What was your regression coefficient(s)? I think you see my point. I agree with you that it seems like such measurements WOULD be insignificant (i.e. not make a difference to the tennis player), but you can't just say something's "statistically insignificant" unless you actually used a statistical model. If you did, then please let us know so that we can interpret your findings. I know that us equipment geeks would be interested :-)

AlpineCadet
06-05-2007, 11:37 AM
I don't think Gimmick has ever tried power pads before, nor has he ever touched a tennis racket strung with them, so lets just ignore him from now on. It would def. save us a lot of time from reading/responding to his BS.

Hessam
06-07-2007, 08:13 AM
"statistically insignificant"? How do you know this? Did you run a regression on the results or something? "Statistically insignificant" implies a specified significance level (0.1, 0.05, 0.01; which are the typical levels used in research). What significance level were you using when you did your analysis? What is your threashold for insignificance? What was your regression coefficient(s)? I think you see my point. I agree with you that it seems like such measurements WOULD be insignificant (i.e. not make a difference to the tennis player), but you can't just say something's "statistically insignificant" unless you actually used a statistical model. If you did, then please let us know so that we can interpret your findings. I know that us equipment geeks would be interested :-)

Great point.... what feels insignificant to one person, could feel totally different to another..... Again I repeat..I think the kind of frame you use, and how much flex/feedback you have from your racket will determine if you can sense any difference with power pads or not.

baseliner87
06-14-2007, 05:45 PM
never even new this things excisted

drakulie
06-14-2007, 05:51 PM
^^^well, that is what this forum is for>>> so we could all learn a little.

Gimmick
06-15-2007, 06:50 PM
I would welcome any posts where someone else uses a caliper to measure a previously compressed "power pad", weighs it on a calibrated scale, and develops their own difference in power levels based on change in a racquet they are familiar with. Until there is compelling data opposing my findings, I stand by them.