PDA

View Full Version : gosh, such expensive strings.

andyroddick's mojo
09-17-2006, 02:08 PM
i went to my local tennis shop and i had this set of pro redcode i wanted to do a hybrid in with PSGD on the crosses. well i only had the redcode so i had to by the PSGD, and it cost me 17 dollars! just for the string! then i have to pay another 10 dollars for the string job bringing me to a total of 27 dollars or so! luxilon there costs about $27 by itself! geez, these guys sure want to make a profit. next time i'll be sure to just by all the strings i need from TW.

pNoyr3D
09-17-2006, 02:28 PM
Yeah that does sound expensive! That's what I am going to do, just buy the strings from Tennis Warehouse, very cheap.

ollinger
09-17-2006, 02:40 PM
Considering the amount of time it typically requires to string a racquet, I'm surprised it doesn't cost more. A typical proshop has to pay the person who does the stringing there and still have some profit left over for the business, after paying the rent, utilities, etc. It's a nickel and dime service for them.
________
property for sale in Pattaya (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

andyroddick's mojo
09-17-2006, 02:50 PM
^ true but this shop wasn't a pure racket shop, it was also a bicycle shop and they also sell other things. but for strings like luxilon they're making like a 15 dollar profit or so, then add 10 dollars for the stringer, thats already a 25 dollar profit for one racket and one set of strings! imagine if only four people went in and bought the same string (btw their cheapest was like prince polygut for 15 dollars!) thats 100 dollars worth of profit. I think they really need to lower their prices by at least a couple dollars. i wonder what all their customers would think if they found out they could get the same strings at maybe 1/3 the price on TW.

damasta55
09-17-2006, 03:28 PM
I think you need to talk to them, because the 17 dollars covers the psgd and labor, so they shouldn't be charging you 27, 10 for the labor and 7 for the string. They shouldn't be charging you labor twice. Maybe you should try waipahu.

andyroddick's mojo
09-17-2006, 04:14 PM
yes, next time i will try waipahu to see if they're cheaper. I hear they carry a wider variety of strings anyways. i mean seriously, with 27 dollars for luxilon there i could buy natural gut off TW!

LN_Dad
09-17-2006, 09:02 PM
^ true but this shop wasn't a pure racket shop, it was also a bicycle shop and they also sell other things. but for strings like luxilon they're making like a 15 dollar profit or so, then add 10 dollars for the stringer, thats already a 25 dollar profit for one racket and one set of strings! imagine if only four people went in and bought the same string (btw their cheapest was like prince polygut for 15 dollars!) thats 100 dollars worth of profit. I think they really need to lower their prices by at least a couple dollars. i wonder what all their customers would think if they found out they could get the same strings at maybe 1/3 the price on TW.
Huh? How do they make $15 profit off Luxilon? TW charges $14 for Luxilon and most shops in CA will charge $10 to $15 for labor if you bring your own strings. Factor in shipping from TW and you'd be closer to $31 total. You can buy a stringer and learn to do it yourself but there's the initial investment there too.

psp2
09-17-2006, 09:09 PM
... geez, these guys sure want to make a profit.

They are a business. If you don't like their pricing, go elsewhere and stop your whining. Every business has a right to make a profit from their sales and service.

Bogie
09-17-2006, 09:11 PM
dude consider yourself lucky, my friend went to golf & tennis world in downtown sf to see how much for a pack of wilson sensation 16L......$24.99:eek:

andyroddick's mojo
09-17-2006, 09:31 PM
sorry but i'm just sort of venting, and in shock that i paid 17 dollars for PSGD and then another 10 for labor. (i'm not whining about the labor cause i know thats normal) but 17 dollars for PSGD is kind of stretching it, even with shipping and tax.

Steve Huff
09-18-2006, 05:25 AM
This is how they offer "free" stringing.

LttlElvis
09-18-2006, 06:14 AM
Any business has the right to charge anything they want because they do have to make a profit. If one doesn't like the price go elsewhere. You know the price before you get the racket strung.

From sports shop owners I have talked to, racket stringing is just not a money making service. It is just something that has to be offered because you sell rackets too. They make profits from the racket sales, and the most by clothing sales. Ever wonder why you can get discontinued rackets and out of season clothing for 75% to 80% of the original costs? It is not unsual for items to have to be marked up 3 to 4 times in any type of store.

If this place also sold bicycles, they are diluting their specialty so they won't buy in large volumes of strings like the store that sells tennis equipment only. One also must remember, when you string a racket at a store, your fee goes not only to the stringer, but the cashier, salespeople, inventory, advertising, electricity, operating expenses, taxes and then the owner.

From a business owners standpoint, $27 is not much for a string job. For the most part, racket stringing is a loss leader for shops.

Anyone who complains of stringing costs really should consider buying their own machines. Stringing machines are relatively inexpensive and it is fun. You won't believe how much you can save. Think about this: 10 string jobs @ $27 = $270. You can get a relatively inexpensive drop weight stringer for this and it usually comes with a reel of string. I have yet to speak with a person who strings rackets who has not made their money back.

Richie Rich
09-18-2006, 06:29 AM
Anyone who complains of stringing costs really should consider buying their own machines. Stringing machines are relatively inexpensive and it is fun. You won't believe how much you can save. Think about this: 10 string jobs @ $27 = $270. You can get a relatively inexpensive drop weight stringer for this and it usually comes with a reel of string. I have yet to speak with a person who strings rackets who has not made their money back.

even if you spend $600 for a decent crank you will make your money back. it just takes a little time to learn how to string but it's fairly straight forward. i had a stringer show me and got it by my third frame.

also, if you do the string yourself you can put the money you would have spent on labor and buy better string. i would never pay someone to string my racquets anymore

LttlElvis
09-18-2006, 07:11 AM
I agree. I think one should consider buying the most expensive, quality stringer they can afford. Perhaps an Alpha Revo @ $550. Even buying a Prince Neos @ $1200. No buyers remorse for sure and you will get your money back by just doing a few string jobs for friends. Like I said, most new stringing machines come with a reel, which is at least 16 string jobs.

Fatmike
09-18-2006, 07:33 AM
i went to my local tennis shop and i had this set of pro redcode i wanted to do a hybrid in with PSGD on the crosses. well i only had the redcode so i had to by the PSGD, and it cost me 17 dollars! just for the string! then i have to pay another 10 dollars for the string job bringing me to a total of 27 dollars or so! luxilon there costs about $27 by itself! geez, these guys sure want to make a profit. next time i'll be sure to just by all the strings i need from TW.

full luxilon job here costs 46$

so I buy in lots of 5, strings costs is then 17 and job 13 for total of 30$

MasterTS
09-18-2006, 07:41 AM
This is why I string my own racquets.. cause its very expensive to get a shop to string it!

This is also why I don't string other people's racquet.. My time is worth more than $10-$12 dollars of labor.. I have better things to do then to get coffee money!

Morale of the story.. its expensive for the customer and chump change for the service provider.. lose/lose situation for everyone but the string/racquet companies!

LN_Dad
09-18-2006, 07:50 AM
full luxilon job here costs 46$

so I buy in lots of 5, strings costs is then 17 and job 13 for total of 30$
Is this canadian or us dollars?

andyroddick's mojo
09-18-2006, 08:44 AM
maybe it IS time for me to get a stringer. The lowest place i know of charges 10 bucks if you provide your own string. so if i purchase my strings of TW, which I have mostly done, I"d be saving 10 bucks everytime. plus i believe that i've raised my level of play and have begun hitting a lot harder on my strokes and my serves, and i've been playing a lot more too. (i just broke my first 1.20 poly yesterday after a month) If i break another set of strings in 2 weeks, i'll consider getting a stringing machine.