PDA

View Full Version : Signum poly-pro plasma: Arm pain?

Fatmike
09-18-2006, 05:09 AM
Well, I'm using the same set of sppp since a month now, around 60 hours of play.

Last week I started to have arm pain, soreness all over the arm plus in the elbow and back. It started after I played more then 2 hours for 7 or 8 days in a row.

I thought it was from over playing, but since last week, I skip one day between all my matches and still have pain.

My question:
- is it that sppp is hard on the arm ( I played with alu power since more then 2 years before trying sppp without havin any pain)

or

- does the strings have that effet after lots of hour of play? Since they don't move at all (less less moving then alu power) they aren't near to break.

What you think?

Steve Huff
09-18-2006, 05:17 AM
With my normal setup of nat/syn hybrid strung at 58#, I tried the SPPP with Gamma Fat Core crosses. I strung the SPPP mains at 53 and the Fat Core at 58. It seems soft enough and hasn't hurt my arm. However, with my 2nd racket, I bumped the tensions up to 55 and 60, and it felt noticably stiffer. I'll probably have to cut it out and go back to the softer tension or go back to the gut hybrid.

Fatmike
09-18-2006, 05:38 AM
hum... I use full sppp at 56.

But like I said, I'm used to full alu-power at 56 too.

Does sppp become stiffer with long use? well, not stiffer but I dunno, harsher or less elastic so the arm takes more impact?

Richie Rich
09-18-2006, 05:55 AM
Does sppp become stiffer with long use? well, not stiffer but I dunno, harsher or less elastic so the arm takes more impact?

i think you could say that applies to all polys - they just lose elasticity over time and just go dead. i really notice the drop off in performance after 20 hours but that's just me - some guys like that feel but i don't so i cut them out.

Jerry Seinfeld
09-18-2006, 06:47 AM
60 hours of play for a co-poly, even the best tension holding currently on the market, is really pushing it. I suspect the arm pain may be caused by the strings having gone dead, if not a cumulative issue of having used co-polys for an extended period of time without replacing frequently. Not sure I would push it past 40 hours with any current co-poly and that would be a push. With ALU I would recommend restringing after 15 hours of court time and with Poly Plasma I would restring after 25 hours for long term arm health.

Ripper
09-18-2006, 06:52 AM
It started after I played more then 2 hours for 7 or 8 days in a row.

My question:
- is it that sppp is hard on the arm ( I played with alu power since more then 2 years before trying sppp without havin any pain)

When using Alu Power, did you ever play "more then 2 hours for 7 or 8 days in a row"?

Fatmike
09-18-2006, 06:59 AM
When using Alu Power, did you ever play "more then 2 hours for 7 or 8 days in a row"?

yes, a few times... but I don't remember if it was with a fresh set of strings or an old one...

Fatmike
09-18-2006, 07:01 AM
caused by the strings having gone dead,.

I have trouble to know if they are dead or not....

I still have lots of power with my 60 hours old set of sppp

true that I'm less precise since a week or 2... but I thought i was in an off period.... I still have tremondous serves though....

armand
09-18-2006, 09:47 AM
I also use full SPPP(exclusively) and my arm gets fatigued much more than before. I can also feel that my arm is on the verge of some pain so I try not to over do it. And if do play without enough recovery, I make sure to go to my more powerful racquet(but also strung with SPPP) and this helps.

Fatigue\weakness can lead to pain and TE.

Midlife crisis
09-18-2006, 11:24 PM
SPPP is my string of choice, but I've never gone more than 30-40 hours before cutting it out. Though I can't tell that the string has changed its playability, since the changes are so slight and over such a long period of time, fresh strings do feel different, with more pop and a softer feel.

Because of this, I took some scrap pieces of 1.28 SPPP, marked off a 10" section, and tensioned it to 60 lbs, letting it sit for a week. After that week, I relaxed the tension but the string never contracted back to its original length. From memory, I think it stretched about a third of an inch. I took that stretched piece of string, marked off a 5" section, and pulled it again to 60 pounds. Compared to a fresh piece of 1.28 SPPP, the old piece only stretched about half as much.

So the short of it is that SPPP does lose elasticity if tensioned over time, and the recommendation to replace it every so often is a good one.

Fatmike
09-19-2006, 06:49 AM
Nice experience.

Thank you.

I'll cut my sppp today. Din't play yesterday and won't today either. I play tomorrow though. (and thursday, friday, maybe saturday, and twice sunday).

SPPP is my string of choice, but I've never gone more than 30-40 hours before cutting it out. Though I can't tell that the string has changed its playability, since the changes are so slight and over such a long period of time, fresh strings do feel different, with more pop and a softer feel.

Because of this, I took some scrap pieces of 1.28 SPPP, marked off a 10" section, and tensioned it to 60 lbs, letting it sit for a week. After that week, I relaxed the tension but the string never contracted back to its original length. From memory, I think it stretched about a third of an inch. I took that stretched piece of string, marked off a 5" section, and pulled it again to 60 pounds. Compared to a fresh piece of 1.28 SPPP, the old piece only stretched about half as much.

So the short of it is that SPPP does lose elasticity if tensioned over time, and the recommendation to replace it every so often is a good one.