PDA

View Full Version : What 17g do you recommend?

boojay
09-18-2006, 08:09 AM
So a little history first--I've always used 16, 16L, or 15g string. I suppose I'm a string breaker, I'm not sure. I go through about 10-12 sets a year, which is nowhere near another guy I know who goes through 40 a year, then again, he uses 17 g. Thus far, I really like Luxilon, but have no problems playing with other brands.

Anyway, this acquaintance of mine says that even though I'll probably break the 17g really often, I should still give it a go because I might end up liking it a lot. I figured I might as well try, so does anyone here have any suggestions? Preferably more for feel since the whole point is to find one that feels great. I use the PS85 and Babolat Pure Control.

Thanks in advance guys!

Valjean
09-18-2006, 09:20 AM
I like the thinner gauges; they add touch, feel, carry more elasticity for power and bite the ball better. OTOH, they lose tension quicker and of course will break sooner.

If you like poly, how many of these things will be true for you may vary.

Rabbit
09-18-2006, 09:34 AM
If you're going with a poly, why not try a 16L which seems to be the best compromise. Hmmmmm...poly in a 16L that you might like....ALU? It is pretty much the defacto standard on the ATP now.

boojay
09-18-2006, 11:47 AM
If you're going with a poly, why not try a 16L which seems to be the best compromise. Hmmmmm...poly in a 16L that you might like....ALU? It is pretty much the defacto standard on the ATP now.

I've actually used that and it's my current fave. Would 17 feel even better?

JohnS
09-18-2006, 11:54 AM
I've actually used that and it's my current fave. Would 17 feel even better?

It depends. You would really have to try it. 17 will give more bite and feel on the ball, but if you string it at the same tension as a 16 gauge, the 17 will feel a little bit tighter.

I like ALU, Head ultra tour 17, and I currently have the Unique pro poly 17 in my rqts. I have yet tried the pro hurricane though.