PDA

View Full Version : Vantage VTS strings

Original 6.0
09-18-2006, 10:31 AM
I'm wondering how these Vantage strings feel and play... the VTS, should be a multi.
Vantage is well known for its custom sticks, but what about their string line?

GuyPerez
09-18-2006, 04:23 PM
I find these strings to be superb. Lots of feel and a nice sound. Several of my friends who I string for have switched to it. The 2nd generation vts is also more durable than the 1st. I recommend it.

vbtennis99
09-18-2006, 04:34 PM
I never knew that Vantage make tennis strings. Are they sold in the U.S.? What kind of strings do they make?

Thanks

monologuist
09-18-2006, 06:14 PM
I don't know if these are the same strings that came on the Vantages that were sold a year ago when I bought mine, but those were terrible. They were a cheap multifilament similar to Wilson NXT that lost a lot of tension, had terrible spin and control, and remained in my racquet for exactly one session before I decided to cut them out. There are some multifilament synthetics (if that's what you're into) that are much much better especially for the price.

If these strings are indeed a second generation version, perhaps they play better...but you'd have to ask someone that has played both to give you a comparison. Bottom line is, if the current ones play anything like th old ones, I would recommend you look elsewhere....for 3/4 the price you can get something that is better in every aspect.

Original 6.0
09-19-2006, 10:23 AM
I don't know if these are the same strings that came on the Vantages that were sold a year ago when I bought mine, but those were terrible. They were a cheap multifilament similar to Wilson NXT that lost a lot of tension, had terrible spin and control, and remained in my racquet for exactly one session before I decided to cut them out. There are some multifilament synthetics (if that's what you're into) that are much much better especially for the price.

If these strings are indeed a second generation version, perhaps they play better...but you'd have to ask someone that has played both to give you a comparison. Bottom line is, if the current ones play anything like th old ones, I would recommend you look elsewhere....for 3/4 the price you can get something that is better in every aspect.
Well, since I'm going to take one of those Vantage sticks (the 95 SQ version), they asked me if I wanted to string up with one of their multis, and I said I don't know, that's why I'm taking my time and ask you people for some impressions...
I don't know monologuist, you absolutely wouldn't put one of those VTS into your sticks? I'm usually playing with a Gamma Live Wire 17, but I've tried out dozens (including Babolat Powergy, XCel Premium, Wilson NXT, Ashaway Dynamite, Tecnifibre Biphase, the list goes on...); if you have a state of the art multi to recommend, at an interesting price maybe, just shoot, I'm always experimenting...
Also, I presume you have played with a Vantage racquet considering what you wrote, what's your take on this racquet altogether? Thank ya!

monologuist
09-19-2006, 10:52 AM
Well, since I'm going to take one of those Vantage sticks (the 95 SQ version), they asked me if I wanted to string up with one of their multis, and I said I don't know, that's why I'm taking my time and ask you people for some impressions...
I don't know monologuist, you absolutely wouldn't put one of those VTS into your sticks? I'm usually playing with a Gamma Live Wire 17, but I've tried out dozens (including Babolat Powergy, XCel Premium, Wilson NXT, Ashaway Dynamite, Tecnifibre Biphase, the list goes on...); if you have a state of the art multi to recommend, at an interesting price maybe, just shoot, I'm always experimenting...
Also, I presume you have played with a Vantage racquet considering what you wrote, what's your take on this racquet altogether? Thank ya!
I have a Vantage 100"...(11.4 oz. unstrung, 63RA)...it is a nice racquet...lots of feel/high quality frame...a little too powerful for me and swingweight a little too high for me. I hope you discussed swingweight with them...that is a key factor. It is not a spec that you can specify on the website, but they can work with you on a target swingweight...as I'm sure you know, swingweight will highly influence both power and maneuiverability. What I didn't know at the time that I got mine was that two frames of identical balance and weight can have different swingweight, varying as much as 10 pts. which is a lot....so you want to make sure that you specify the ideal swingweight for your Vantage and if you get more than one frame, to make sure they are of identical swingweight.

As far as the string goes, just try it...they include it for free, no? If you don't like it, cut it out.

As far as a better option in terms of multis...Signum Pro Fiber High TEch EXP is the best for the money, IMO (around 9$set). Unfortunately TW does not currently carry it, but if you do a google, you'll find people that do.

Also worth considering are Yonex Tour Super 850, Klip Excellerator, and the Laserfibre multis, although the Klip and Laserfibres are not any cheaper.

Personally, I would recommend a gut hybrid for around the same price as a premium multi, particularly in the Vantage. I found that a hybrid of natural gut mains/mono synth gut crosses outperformed any multi on the market, and feels great in a Vantage. For the gut: Klip Legend, Klip Armour Pro (a personal fav. at the moment), BDE Performance are all good for the money. For synthetic crosses, I would recommend Gosen OG Super Micro or Laserfibre Synthetic Gut Classic (also not carried by TW, but is by the same people that have the Signum multi).

hoosierbr
09-19-2006, 11:04 AM
I haven't played with this new generation of Vantage strings but I hated the first set. When my demo was sent I almost gave up on Vantage because I disliked the strings so much. I found the stringbed stiff and too harsh on a mishit.

I've heard the second generation is much better. I'm still avoiding them regardless and going with VS Team, my normal string anyway.

mctennis
09-19-2006, 01:08 PM
I haven't played with this new generation of Vantage strings but I hated the first set. When my demo was sent I almost gave up on Vantage because I disliked the strings so much. I found the stringbed stiff and too harsh on a mishit.

I've heard the second generation is much better. I'm still avoiding them regardless and going with VS Team, my normal string anyway.
Ditto this. I almost gave up on my Vantage racquet also. I changed strings and found it to a totally different playing racquet.

MTChong
09-19-2006, 03:57 PM
It seems that the Vantage, also, is a sensitive spoiled racquet - plays best with gut!