PDA

View Full Version : bad stringjob

misa1125
09-18-2006, 02:51 PM
I needed my racket strung so I decided to go to a g o l f s m i th store in manhattan because they told me it was only 10 dollars. I thought it was a good deal, but boy i was wrong. Really bad stringing, the strings were loose from the beginning. And these are the Yonex 850s, which are really good at keeping tension. Im ****ed because I dont feel like cutting them out and getting them strung again because the winter is coming soon and I wont be playing as much.

Is there any way to complain and get it fixed? What would you do in my situation?

jackson vile
09-18-2006, 03:07 PM
Another case of you get what you pay for? Always ask around before you switch to someone else, see what other people are saying and make sure that they are using simular rackets string and a simular level as a beginer most likely won't know the difference same for a low level weekend warrior, no offense.

Any time you are unsatisfied you should bring it right to their attention and not over the phone although you need to make sure you know the manager will be there. That way you have a lot more leverage

Reveille1984
09-18-2006, 06:07 PM
I got my racquet strung at Sports Chalet and they broke after about a week, it was ridiculous. I knew they felt odd the first time I used the racquet, but I figured maybe it was just me. I made a fuss and they restrung it for free, I didn't even have to pay for the string.

tennis-skater
09-18-2006, 07:08 PM
dude i was just gunna post this same thing about the same place. i went in there and they dont know anything about tennis. then i give the guy a pack of hybrid pro hurricane, and a full pack of nrg18 and i come back an hour later he still hadnt finished it and when he did finish it there was only 14ft left of the nrg18! i have a n6.1 tour 90 so there should have been atleast enough to do half a string job. then the manager in there is rude and he wouldnt listen to me when i tried to explain that it shouldnt take that much string to do the mains in my racket and i should have more left over to do another string job. last time i ever go there and im telling everyone around me that plays tennis not to go there and to go to a real proshop that knows what there doing and can string a racket faster then and hour 30

Silentgunz
09-18-2006, 07:11 PM
i let my uncle string my racquet and he sucks... the old strings that were on my racquet were as loose as the new strings... i guess dats wat happen when its free lol

BabolatFan
09-18-2006, 07:14 PM
I needed my racket strung so I decided to go to a g o l f s m i th store in manhattan because they told me it was only 10 dollars. I thought it was a good deal, but boy i was wrong. Really bad stringing, the strings were loose from the beginning. And these are the Yonex 850s, which are really good at keeping tension. Im ****ed because I dont feel like cutting them out and getting them strung again because the winter is coming soon and I wont be playing as much.

Is there any way to complain and get it fixed? What would you do in my situation?

Local sports shops normally don't have any qualified stringers. I mean most of them probably don't even play tennis. Well next time go to any local tennis clubs or pro shops. I've been really content with my local pro shop stringjobs.

oddy
09-18-2006, 07:26 PM
you should've went to grand central racket in/around grand central station. i drop my rackets off in the morning and pick them up during my afternoon commute.

misa1125
09-18-2006, 10:46 PM
lol, i was thinking about going to grand central racquet. but i went for the cheaper route...big mistake. According to the g o l f s m i t h website...

"Your tennis racquet is in good hands at G o l f s m i t h Golf & Tennis. As a member of the United States Racquet Stringers Association, we hold ourselves to the highest standards in the game of tennis. And our Master Racquet Technicians are expertly trained to keep your racquet at peak condition"

:[ and i believed that. i was thinking about going in and complaining, but I used Yonex strings, and well, I know they dont carry them, so i would be losing out on some good strings. It took them a week to do it too. horrible imo.

Squall Leonheart
09-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Similar thing happened to me. I asked to get one of my racquets restrung at 65 pounds. When I got it back, it was very loose. I tried it out, it wasn't too bad, but I still prefer it tighter than it was.

wonder_wall
09-19-2006, 11:41 PM

This is why I ended up buying my own stringing machine. I got tired of either overpaying or being at the mercy of lower priced, unknown stringer. Or worse, overpaying *and* being at the mercy of an unknown stringer!

The constructive course of action right now for you though would be to complain, though it would be better to have a specific complaint other than "it's loose." I would buy a stringmeter and check each string to see if there's a big variation among them. There shouldn't be. To a lesser extent, you can check if they're "too loose" with that device, but it's not really meant for that, but you could accomplish this by getting the same racket (i.e. a second racket of the same kind, hopefully you have two identical) strung with the same string at a known competent place (probably expensive) and then compare via stringmeter, then see what your beef is and take it to them, say "it's loose." Then if they ask, give them the specifics of your stringmeter info. If they are at all interested in doing decent stringing, they should listen very closely to that part. If they don't care, oh well, get what you can from them (go for refund of money you paid them) and consider it lesson learned...

MTChong
09-20-2006, 12:27 AM
I got my racquet strung at Sports Chalet and they broke after about a week, it was ridiculous. I knew they felt odd the first time I used the racquet, but I figured maybe it was just me. I made a fuss and they restrung it for free, I didn't even have to pay for the string.

I have to ask the question; I work at Sport Chalet and there are lots of stupid customers with gripes that walk in, complaining. A week is good time; I used to break strings every day, and even with a midsize 16x18, every two or three. I then switched to a more dense string pattern; so maybe it's just how it is, and not the actual stringing quality.

DX_Psycho
09-20-2006, 12:48 AM
i went to g o l f smith to pick up my grand prix balls and i watched a guy string with a neos. he strung slower than me but it looked like he knew what he was doing. hard to tell without playing with the racquet thoguh.

misa1125
09-21-2006, 03:16 PM
so I brought my racket back to g o l f smith, told them the situation, and they offered to restring it for me for free. Since I used Yonex multi strings which they dont carry, so the guy let me pick any multi strings they carried. Of the ones they had, I ended up picking Technifibre X One biphase 17 because Ive heard so many good things about them.

However, the guy reccommended me to increase my tension since I told him that the tension I got before was too loose. Whatever, I told him to increase it a pound or two. Hopefully itll be done better this time around.

Valjean
09-21-2006, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't worry about the tension now, after switching to X-One. But will you like it is another matter.

TheRed
09-21-2006, 10:16 PM
I have to ask the question; I work at Sport Chalet and there are lots of stupid customers with gripes that walk in, complaining. A week is good time; I used to break strings every day, and even with a midsize 16x18, every two or three. I then switched to a more dense string pattern; so maybe it's just how it is, and not the actual stringing quality.

I agree. How the heck does a string job that felt "weird" mean that it will break in a week. I've strung racquets for 15 years and used to work for Sport Chalet. We used to get so many customers that came in thinking "the customer is always right" and had just ridiculous complaints like, "I wanted 2 knots not 4" or "these strings move too much. it's b/c of the string job" (the guy had a 14 x 18 pattern 115 sq in racquet). Most guys can't tell a good string job from a bad one unless the tension is way off or your racquet comes out cracked.

MTChong
09-21-2006, 10:50 PM
I agree. How the heck does a string job that felt "weird" mean that it will break in a week. I've strung racquets for 15 years and used to work for Sport Chalet. We used to get so many customers that came in thinking "the customer is always right" and had just ridiculous complaints like, "I wanted 2 knots not 4" or "these strings move too much. it's b/c of the string job" (the guy had a 14 x 18 pattern 115 sq in racquet). Most guys can't tell a good string job from a bad one unless the tension is way off or your racquet comes out cracked.

It's ridiculous what some customers think - especially because 95% or so have no idea about string; in fact, none of the customers that came in knew more than I did about them and I educated them on the topic of it.