PDA

View Full Version : Wont different tensions on main & cross...

dewey2110
09-18-2006, 05:01 PM
affect the frame?
wont that put pressure on the frame?
I feel like my PD's surface is getting longer since I strung my main tighter(57, SPPP) than cross(59, syn gut), lol.

steve s
09-18-2006, 05:32 PM
No problem. Don,t freak out!!

Kevo
09-18-2006, 06:14 PM
Most frames can handle a small differential of a few pounds either way. I think about 4 pounds is the most I would do on someone else's frame unless they were to agree that I would not be responsible for any damage. I have done 3 pounds both ways on my Yonex RDX 500, and there is no noticeable change in the shape of the frame. The feel does change though.

onkystomper
09-19-2006, 08:22 AM
I always do my mains 2 lbs tighter. It equalizes the tensions. I Strung my Fischer 5 lbs tighter once and the frame did seem a fair bit longer than normal. still fine though

jackson vile
09-19-2006, 09:29 AM
affect the frame?
I feel like my PD's surface is getting longer since I strung my main tighter(57, SPPP) than cross(59, syn gut), lol.

Yes different tension will effect the frame, will it ruin it NO!

In your scinerio here what has happend is that the racket has squashed as the SPPP should be holding tension so I am not sure why you say if feels longer.

Now if this is brand new stringing we have to understand that the SPPP will drop tenison at first, then the syn gut will lose tension and should even out at some point.

jackson vile
09-19-2006, 09:32 AM
Most frames can handle a small differential of a few pounds either way. I think about 4 pounds is the most I would do on someone else's frame unless they were to agree that I would not be responsible for any damage. I have done 3 pounds both ways on my Yonex RDX 500, and there is no noticeable change in the shape of the frame. The feel does change though.

My wife's racket is strung with a 14lbs difference for 3 months now strung 2 times now, just fine.

People have to understand that rackets are made to withstand extreme forces repeatedly.

That is why players can serve up to 155mph all day every day with out ever breaking.

Seriously ask yourself this, when is the last time a pros racket broke when the frame did not hit anything?

armand
09-19-2006, 09:41 AM
affect the frame?
I feel like my PD's surface is getting longer since I strung my main tighter(57, SPPP) than cross(59, syn gut), lol.Your main is not tighter if it's strung at 57lbs and cross at 59lbs. 59 is a higher number and therefore represents a tighter string tension.

snoflewis
09-19-2006, 12:05 PM

yeah...i was told by several people on these boards a while ago that up to 4 lbs is safe. as for yonex frames, they recommend that you string yoru rackets 5% lower in the crosses (~3 lbs) but i always found that 2 lb differential was best....at least for me

dewey2110
09-19-2006, 07:21 PM
In your scinerio here what has happend is that the racket has squashed as the SPPP should be holding tension so I am not sure why you say if feels longer.
Maybe its just an optical illusion cos SPPP is in orange and my syn gut is in yellow, lol.

th41291
09-20-2006, 03:39 AM
That is why players can serve up to 155mph all day every day with out ever breaking.

I'm not too sure about that...it's only happened once ;)

Bottle Rocket
09-20-2006, 11:05 PM
I'm not too sure about that...it's only happened once ;)

Word has it that Roddick consistantly serves in the 160's in practice...

snoflewis
09-20-2006, 11:18 PM
Word has it that Roddick consistantly serves in the 160's in practice...

i don't know about constantly...but his coaches have said that he can serve in the 160s.

PBODY99
09-21-2006, 08:21 AM
No the difference within the recommended string tension won't hurt. Some people raise or lower the center crosses by 5 pounds or so. As I service plyayers who do both and their set of frames are over 5 years old, it must not hurt.