PDA

View Full Version : have a PD Roddick (w Cortex) any recommendations

jay4cee
09-19-2006, 03:06 AM
recently purchased a Babolat PD Roddick. Any recomendations on strings, tension? i am all court player with strong FH and BH. not a monster server.
i heard i should try Babolat Pro Hurricane on mains and perhaps Syn Gut on crosses.

any ideas?

rosenstar
09-19-2006, 05:14 AM
go with luxilon. I use the alu in mine. nicest feel ever.

Puffdaddy
09-19-2006, 05:19 AM
I actually just switched to this frame from the PS 6.0 85 (I'm getting older, what can I say?).

I purchased two frames and had a modest level of customization done by Roman at RPNY (just some extra lead in the handle).

I have one of the frames strung with Hurricane Tour 16 (the yellow one) on the main with VS gut on the crosses. The mains are strung at 60 and the cross at 63.

The other frame has Luxilon ALU Power on the mains and the VS on the crosses. This, too, is strung at 60 on the mains and 63 on the cross.

I have only hit with each frame for about 4-5 hours each, but here are my thoughts -

The one strung with Hurricane Tour is much friendlier to the arm and provides a much more vibrant string bed. The downside is that the control can be a little spotty and the frame can be prone to fliers if you don't finish your strokes. If you hit with consistently heavy top spin, you should be able to control it fine. If you are looking for more pop on your serve, this is the best set-up.

The one strung with the Lux plays a little deader, perhaps "boardy" is the right way to describe it. I find I get a much more consistent response, particularly off the backhand side. If you are playing a guy with alot of pace, this set-up feels a little more solid and it just seems easier to keep the ball in the court. The price you pay is in comfort and power, however, with the Hurricane set-up being better for both, in my opinion.

I'm a big guy and experienced player and hit first serves in the mid-120s, so the extra power is not something I care much about. I do, however, care about the comfort aspect of things.

I am tempted to try both of these set-ups again, only string the Hurricane a little tighter and the Lux a little looser to see where that gets me.

I think you are going to have to mess around and try a couple of things. Incidentally, I have hybrided with gut on a bunch of different frames, and with this racquet, its tough to really feel the gut. My guess is you could use a high-quality synthetic with very little drop off.

I'd go with the x-one Biphase, not the Babolat xCel, which to me can play mushy.

pure luck
09-19-2006, 05:59 AM
main with pro hurricane is fine if u are a hard hitter.
on crosses u can try gamme live wire or wilson nxt, should have a sweet feel

jay4cee
09-19-2006, 08:37 PM
hi all

thanks for the advice .. i think i am stick with Pro Hurriance on the mains and VS Gut on the cross as recommended by Puffdaddy. I will try it out and see how it works out .. keep u guys posted