PDA

View Full Version : Luxilon BB Ace to Babolat Hurricane Tour 17g?

psgreenjack
09-19-2006, 05:33 AM
Currently I string my Wilson N6.1 Tour 90 racquet with Luxilon Big Banger Ace 18g at 54lbs. (10% lower as recommended by Luxilon) in the mains & Tecnifibre NRG2 17g at 60lbs in the crosses. My Wise ********** is set to pre-stretch 10% with constant pull.

I am going to try Babolat Hurricane Tour 17g in my mains.

What lbs. should I use for the Babolat HT 17g to give me the same feel/playability as the Luxilon BB Ace?

Ripper
09-19-2006, 05:48 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=116655&highlight=hurricane+70

Pusher
09-19-2006, 05:53 AM
Currently I string my Wilson N6.1 Tour 90 racquet with Luxilon Big Banger Ace 18g at 54lbs. (10% lower as recommended by Luxilon) in the mains & Tecnifibre NRG2 17g at 60lbs in the crosses. My Wise ********** is set to pre-stretch 10% with constant pull.

I am going to try Babolat Hurricane Tour 17g in my mains.

What lbs. should I use for the Babolat HT 17g to give me the same feel/playability as the Luxilon BB Ace?

Difficult question.

I string HT17ga at 57 lbs in mains and VS gut at 60 lbs in the crosses on an NBlade98. Sounds like you might want to go with your current tensions.

Beware, the hurricane tour does not lose tension after stringing so i wouldn't assume any tension loss like you may get with the Banger.

Hope that helps.

Ripper
09-19-2006, 05:56 AM
Beware, the hurricane tour does not lose tension after stringing...

Then, why does the package recommend stringing it at 70 pounds? The only possible explanation is that it has a high initial tension loss. I admit, I've never had a package of these in my hands, but this is what's been mentioned here. Could have been a joke, though.

Pusher
09-19-2006, 06:04 AM
Then, why does the package recommend stringing it at 70 pounds? I admit, I've never had a package of these in my hands, but this is what's been mentioned here. Could have been a joke, though.

I don't know. I'm looking at a set right now and it does say the recommended tension on 17 ga is 70 lbs. I've noticed on other Babolat strings they give the max tension-not the recommended tension. Given babolat's previous packaging problems it may be a mistake. The package also gives a tension on 15 ga and I'm not sure they make a 15 ga HT-or TW doesn't sell it.

I don't see how any manufacturer can give a recommended tension when racquets have different tension ranges. makes no sense.

Ripper
09-19-2006, 06:10 AM
makes no sense.

At all! Can someone call Babolat USA and clarify this for all of us? I'm not in the USA or I'd do it myself.

monologuist
09-19-2006, 06:17 AM
I'm familiar with both strings....the Pro Hurricane Tour has quite a bit more pop and does not lose tension much. I would string it 2-4 lbs. higher than the BB Ace to achieve similar power level. Don't pay attention to the 70 lbs. nonsense. 70 lb. is not even within the recommended tension range of Babolat's own racquets.

psgreenjack
09-19-2006, 06:19 AM
Luxilon recommends that BB Ace be strung at a 10% lower than other strings.

Would this also apply to Babolat HT strings?

psgreenjack
09-19-2006, 06:53 AM
Monologuist - Thanks for your advice.

I will string the Babolat HT at 57lbs. in the mains.

Should I still string the Tecnifibre at 60lbs. in the crosses or drop it to match the mains?

iksmols
09-19-2006, 07:14 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACBAB-BH17T.html
Please note incorrect recommended tension may be on back of packet. Actual recommended tension is 53-62lbs.

Pusher
09-19-2006, 07:21 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACBAB-BH17T.html
Please note incorrect recommended tension may be on back of packet. Actual recommended tension is 53-62lbs.

Maybe babolat should send their strings in a zip lock bag. Those guys are notorious for bad labeling. Maybe its the french-english translation.