PDA

View Full Version : o3 racquets are being used to success

tennissavy
09-19-2006, 08:20 AM
Davydenko, Mashona Washington, Vera Zvonareva, Marion Bartoli, Jelena Jankovic and others have been achieving much much more success, all of a sudden, since switching to Prince O3 models. It seems that the o ports really improve one's quality of shot. Anyone noticing the same thing?

BiGGieStuFF
09-19-2006, 08:22 AM
That peer girl supposed uses the O3 Hybrid Tour. It was listed in the PDF that prince sends out after every GS.

tennissavy
09-19-2006, 08:27 AM
That peer girl supposed uses the O3 Hybrid Tour. It was listed in the PDF that prince sends out after every GS.
Yes, and she is having her best year ever.

snoflewis
09-19-2006, 12:13 PM
you forgot the main one....sharapova.

migjam
09-19-2006, 12:22 PM
Unlike some of the other technologies of the past, I think that the O3 technology will be around for awhile. Especially with the success that the above mentioned pros are having with the frames, as well as, possibly Blake switching to the O3 Tour Hybrid

fishuuuuu
09-19-2006, 01:58 PM
What happened to all the naysayers saying o3 would evaporate in a couple of months?

tennissavy
09-19-2006, 04:17 PM
you forgot the main one....sharapova.
I left her out since she is not showing a dramatic rise in the rankings and having above normal results. She won wimbledon with a non o3 racquet and now won the us open with one.

bsandy
09-20-2006, 05:39 AM
Nice Try . . .

Why does Sharpova have to use an O3 with 18 mains ?

Goldstien's O3 tours I handled in Indy, had the ports so notched that the polyseter string couldn't budge.

I think you assume to much.

. . . Bud

CliffH
09-20-2006, 06:12 AM
Jelena Jankovic has to be the most dramatic - loses 8 first rounds in a row, than gets to finals in los Angeles, quarters and semis in grand slams. Though she was the #1 junior, like Bagdatis so we would expect good results, she sure started out slow last year, before supposedly switching to the 03 red.

atatu
09-20-2006, 06:46 AM
Prince announced that Sam Q. is switching to the Hybrid Tour: http://tenniswire.org/archives/2006/sep/pr_585.html

El Diablo
09-20-2006, 06:55 AM
bsandy
That tidbit about the notching is fascinating -- a whole new slant on the notion of a "paintjob" in that what looks like an 03 may really be functionning like a conventional racquet with the strings relatively locked in place despite the large 0-ports. Makes you wonder if ANY of the players noted above actually use a racquet in which the strings are fully mobile; not likely that Prince saves its clever ideas only for Paul Goldstein. And notching would be undetectable to the casual observer, obscured by the strings.

travlerajm
09-20-2006, 09:00 AM
The reason that o-ports give more spin is the lack of grommets, not the added string movement. Using notched o-ports makes the o-port racquets play more like the NXG racquets, which also benefit from the lack grommets.

El Diablo
09-20-2006, 11:49 AM
If the lack of grommets is the crucial issue, and both the NXG racquets and the 03 racquets lack grommets, then saying the notching "makes the o-port racquets play more like the NXG racquets" would seem contradictory, implying something happens with the o-ports that doesn't happen on the NXG. Your own statement suggests that the string movement from the large o-ports is indeed a factor. If it weren't, one might add, why would they bother with the notching?? One also assumes that the player perceived a difference with the notching, as it was kept as a feature on his racquets.

bsandy
09-20-2006, 01:50 PM
bsandy
That tidbit about the notching is fascinating -- a whole new slant on the notion of a "paintjob" in that what looks like an 03 may really be functionning like a conventional racquet with the strings relatively locked in place despite the large 0-ports. Makes you wonder if ANY of the players noted above actually use a racquet in which the strings are fully mobile; not likely that Prince saves its clever ideas only for Paul Goldstein. And notching would be undetectable to the casual observer, obscured by the strings.

I don't think it was so much a clever Idea, but a racquet that was beat to $#!*, and had been strung dozens of times. I just remember, what ever these o ports were supposed to do, wasn't happening on these racquets. (or any other racquet strung with a POLY or over 50 lbs)

All this being said . . . A player plays best with the racquet he thinks he plays best with.

travlerajm
09-20-2006, 05:16 PM
If the lack of grommets is the crucial issue, and both the NXG racquets and the 03 racquets lack grommets, then saying the notching "makes the o-port racquets play more like the NXG racquets" would seem contradictory, implying something happens with the o-ports that doesn't happen on the NXG. Your own statement suggests that the string movement from the large o-ports is indeed a factor. If it weren't, one might add, why would they bother with the notching?? One also assumes that the player perceived a difference with the notching, as it was kept as a feature on his racquets.

o-ports make the stringbed feel softer, but they don't add spin.

slice bh compliment
09-20-2006, 05:44 PM
String movement at the edges, aerodynamics, that nice little whistling sound....the distinctive look....yeah.

Another benefit is the absence of drill holes. Molded, not drilled, so the hoop is actually fairly strong, even though it looks like it would crack on a hard, off-center shot or two. I do not know much about Princes, but this could facilitate a really strong head with less material and less weight. This could lead to more maneuverability and indirectly, more spin?

I understand the Orange-ish one they are trying to make for Blake will have a more Wilson/Dunlop head shape and a thin profile. It is fairly heavy and it looks like it will be one of the finest sticks to come from Prince in a very long TTime.

Z-Man
09-20-2006, 06:49 PM
The O3 Tour sure did seem muted/dead to me. I wonder if the pros' frames are customized to retain some feel. Notching makes some sense. I'd like to see some closeups...

migjam
09-20-2006, 07:57 PM
The O3 Tour sure did seem muted/dead to me. I wonder if the pros' frames are customized to retain some feel. Notching makes some sense. I'd like to see some closeups...

What string setup did you have when you tried the O3 Tour? The string will make a huge difference in the feel of that racquet as well. My son uses NXT in his O3 Tours and it seems to be a good setup for that frame. Plus he is using the hard throat grommets as well.

LordRaceR
09-21-2006, 03:55 AM
Maybe it is time for Federer to switch to O3 racquet, and then maybe he will be able to win in his sleep. :)

surfvland
09-22-2006, 10:00 PM
I've been at the Futures tournaments in Orange County this week, and am seeing alot of 03 Tours and Diablos in the hands of elite players. One of the pros even had the new 03 Hybrid he let me check out. Swung pretty nicely. Not sure this is true, but he mentioned that the Babolat Rep. is now working for Prince, so they have been developing more players frames.

muggy
09-24-2006, 01:57 PM
I use an o3, but I'm not convinced the o-ports do that much yet besides lower the weight. Someone on this forum said something about the tubes being different in prince's newer racquets or something like that.

If they can get Blake to change off his paintjob to an o3 racquet, then we KNOW prince is on to something here.

foetz
09-24-2006, 10:42 PM
I use an o3, but I'm not convinced the o-ports do that much yet besides lower the weight.

how long do you play? which level?

foetz
09-24-2006, 10:43 PM

why, maybe some of them like this feel? (as i did as well btw)

travlerajm
09-25-2006, 03:14 AM
I use an o3, but I'm not convinced the o-ports do that much yet besides lower the weight. Someone on this forum said something about the tubes being different in prince's newer racquets or something like that.

If they can get Blake to change off his paintjob to an o3 racquet, then we KNOW prince is on to something here.

If you look up the patent number that appears on the O3 racquets, you'll see that it has nothing to do with o-ports. The patent has to do with Prince's grommetless double-tube fabrication process (instead of the normal single tube construction, which requires the drilling of grommet holes). There are many potential performance advantages to the double-tube design, and Prince has only touched the tipped of the iceberg as far as taking advantage of this in their designs.

Pancho
09-25-2006, 12:09 PM
I have switch from POG to O3 Tour and my opponents have noticed an improvement all round in my game. I think O3 are great racquets.

However, I do not like O3 red or Silver - all my flat shots go out by 10 miles and they are way hard to control and way too powerful. I have no idea how Jelena Jankovic controls the balls with a O3 red and she is a top player! Go figure!

migjam
09-25-2006, 09:23 PM
To me the O3 Red matched up to my PD in the way of feel, which is why I recently switched to it. The O3 Tour was just too flexible and the O3 White, although it felt decent, just didn't feel great for me.

Pancho
09-26-2006, 08:25 AM
To me the O3 Red matched up to my PD in the way of feel, which is why I recently switched to it. The O3 Tour was just too flexible and the O3 White, although it felt decent, just didn't feel great for me.

I can see why you like the O3 Red if you like the stiftness just like PD. O3 Red may be a better for serves and a real powerful for flat shots like Janokovic but you really need to control it or else your shots will go long by 8 miles or so. O3 Red being stiff, it doesn't feel good to my elbow and shoulder. You may like it now but I would suggest softer arm friendly strings or else injury may occur.

Yes, I do a agree that O3 Tour is way too fexible compared to the PD. However, I like that way.

migjam
09-26-2006, 10:56 AM
I'm actually using luxilon alu/babolat gut in mine.

Ana712
09-27-2006, 11:53 AM
I only played with the 03 white,so i can't say how the rest of the 03s are..
But the white one is pretty damn good.
I just don't understand something..if someone can explain to me..
Why in the name of God,at the advirtising pictures where they feature the 12o'clock holes they make them white/red/blue/pink/yellow etc when they are all black and the you can only see the color inside the 12o'clock holes..if you understand what i am saying..:confused: :confused:

muggy
09-27-2006, 12:39 PM
I don't understand, the 12'o clock holes on my white are all white, inside and out, except for maybe the bumper guard on top of the racquet...

Ana712
09-27-2006, 11:21 PM
I don't understand, the 12'o clock holes on my white are all white, inside and out, except for maybe the bumper guard on top of the racquet...
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9333/prince1ac9.jpg
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/7613/prince2oa8.jpg
This is what i mean..your holes are like in the second picture??If that's so..i haven't seen any o3 white(blue,red etc)with the 12 o'clock holes beeing colored out,all of them are black..:confused:

xanctus
09-28-2006, 12:32 AM
Well I love my O3 for sure. I have been using it for a year now, and loving it everytime I am using it. However, not a single friend of mine liking the O3, they said...to heavy and stiffs. :D:D:D

In responds of many pros are improving...it seems it's not happening for Guilermo Coria tho...:S too bad

BiGGieStuFF
09-28-2006, 03:11 AM
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9333/prince1ac9.jpg
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/7613/prince2oa8.jpg
This is what i mean..your holes are like in the second picture??If that's so..i haven't seen any o3 white(blue,red etc)with the 12 o'clock holes beeing colored out,all of them are black..:confused:

that 2nd picture I believe is the O3 white w/o the bumper guard. They take it off to show you the O3 ports.

that picture of maria's racket does appear to have kind of a pinkish color to the O3 ports. Is that what you're talking about?

Ana712
09-28-2006, 03:29 AM
that 2nd picture I believe is the O3 white w/o the bumper guard. They take it off to show you the O3 ports.

that picture of maria's racket does appear to have kind of a pinkish color to the O3 ports. Is that what you're talking about?
Yeah..Maria has the 12 o'clock holes painted in pink..but they mostly are white..
So for the advirtising picture they took off the black bumper..that's what i didn't understand,why is not black...thanks :D

migjam
09-28-2006, 04:41 AM
The word Prince, on the throat of her racquet, is pink as well.

Ana712
09-28-2006, 04:56 AM
The word Prince, on the throat of her racquet, is pink as well.
I know that aswell...i was just interested in the holes only :D

BiGGieStuFF
09-28-2006, 05:02 AM
I know that aswell...i was just interested in the holes only :D

A lot of us are interested in maria's holes :)

Ana712
09-28-2006, 05:06 AM
A lot of us are interested in maria's holes :)
of the racquet God damn it =))I am a girl..geeez...i like guys =)));)

BiGGieStuFF
09-28-2006, 05:09 AM
of the racquet God damn it =))I am a girl..geeez...i like guys =)));)

Okay a lot of the other members are interested in Maria's holes. Is that better? :p

So which male players holes are you interested in? Blakes since he supposedly will be using the O3 hybrid tour?

Vitaly Evchenkov
01-22-2007, 06:42 PM
The white/pink version of the O3 White is available in Japan....

foetz
03-17-2007, 11:27 PM
Davydenko, Mashona Washington, Vera Zvonareva, Marion Bartoli, Jelena Jankovic and others have been achieving much much more success, all of a sudden, since switching to Prince O3 models. It seems that the o ports really improve one's quality of shot. Anyone noticing the same thing?

add hantuchova :p

federer_nadal
03-17-2007, 11:44 PM
What happened to all the naysayers saying o3 would evaporate in a couple of months?

They are out playing with their 03 whites.