PDA

View Full Version : Yonex Super cushion grip

Nextman916
09-19-2006, 11:50 AM
According to yonex:

"The cushioned underside layer of the YONEX Super Cushion Grip reduces vibration, further enhancing the soft feel at impact provided by Shockless Grommets. Cushioning performance also helps protect the wrist, arm and elbow against shock-related injuries."

I recently bought the RDS 001 MP and the cushion grip came on it, the demo had the same grip which i had been trying for about 2 weeks. My question is how well does this really work? If i replaced the grip would the feel of the racquet differ? As in vibrations and stuff? I like the feel of the grip but not as much as the Tecnifibre X-Tra.

snoflewis
09-19-2006, 12:10 PM
are you talking about the stock yonex replacement grip that comes on the rds001s? because imo, they're the biggest pieces of crap i've ever tried. it's not even tacky brand new and it is probably the thinnest replacement grip i've seen. imo, the racket feels much better w/ an overgrip and it also feels more stable because the replacement grip will start slipping after the first 1-2 uses.

Nextman916
09-19-2006, 02:42 PM
I use a supergrap over right now, i never use just a bare replacement grip, however the tread that is on the cushion grip can be felt slightly through the overgrip, and shapes it as well too. I just like the Tecnifibre X-tra because its what ive used for a really long time, after going through many replacement grips its my favorite. Really what im asking is if the grip actually dampens vibrations? Because when i lift the replacement grip on the bevels i can see that their is a pretty good amount of white cushion padding undernath, leading me to believe that it does do something. I just dont want the feel of the racquet to change by replacing the original grip.

snoflewis
09-19-2006, 03:32 PM
i havent tried it, but i really doubt it. like i said before, the grip is really thin and the cushioning you are referring to isnt very think imo. it's just a layer of white fabric. replacing the grip w/ the tecnifibre x-tra will probably increase dampening because i know it's softer and thicker.

Askmeo88
09-19-2006, 08:17 PM
I can't really comment on the vibration dampening effects of the Yonex Super Cushion Grip, but I can say that it's certainly the lightest replacement grip I've personally used. Switching to leather on some of my racquets made a huge difference, and it took me a while to adjust to the altered balance.

Actually, I'm still in the process looking for an alternative to the Super Cushion Grip on TW. Does anyone know of a similarly light grip?