PDA

View Full Version : New strings make noise

CheapStrings
09-19-2006, 02:07 PM
I had this happen recently on a hybrid of Gosen Polylon SP 17g with crosses of Wilson Stamina 16g strung at 53 lbs. on my Laserfibre MS200tt. The strings made a creaking noise like they are adjusting themselves. After a number of games the noise stopped. Has anyone had this happen to them? Any idea what the cause could have been? The player said the string job played OK.

wonder_wall
09-19-2006, 10:32 PM
I had this happen recently on a hybrid of Gosen Polylon SP 17g with crosses of Wilson Stamina 16g strung at 53 lbs. on my Laserfibre MS200tt. The strings made a creaking noise like they are adjusting themselves. After a number of games the noise stopped. Has anyone had this happen to them? Any idea what the cause could have been? The player said the string job played OK.
This sounds interesting. I've never heard of it (or heard it!), what are you talking about exactly anyway? A noise when the ball is struck? Or just a noise it makes sitting in the bag!! That would certainly be more disconcerting! I, like you, would wonder if you strung the racket properly, it "sounds fishy" to me... Are you sure you are mounting the racket properly, for instance? Are you changing tension on the crosses or doing anything "interesting" like that?

CheapStrings
09-20-2006, 11:52 AM
The noise occured when hitting the ball. The mains and crosses were both strung at 53 lbs. I was wondering if somehow I had under or over tensioned one string and as the player stressed the stringbed while hitting the ball, that string was balancing-out with an adjacent string. The creaking could be the string rubbing against the grommet although to me the sound seemed to be coming from the strings and not the grommets.

I guess I'd have to under/over tension one string on purpose to find out. Anyway never had this happen before in 4 years of stringing but this was also the first time I ever did that particular hybrid.

Zets147
09-20-2006, 07:20 PM
Well, with a username like that it wouldn't surprise me hah.

I believe it is the strings just readjusting back to their original positions before you hit the ball. I also hear the strings going back to their original positions after I hit the ball though. (mine "pops" back into place if you could imagine that).

PBODY99
09-21-2006, 08:33 AM
The poly and nylon have different "rebound times" which give you that sound. i doubt that you did anything major.

Richie Rich
09-21-2006, 08:54 AM
probably just the strings rubbing and then settling into one another.

you want to hear a shreaking noise when stringing? string a full baboloat hurricane job and see what happens when you start pulling the crosses. yikes!

wonder_wall
09-21-2006, 07:26 PM
The noise occured when hitting the ball. The mains and crosses were both strung at 53 lbs. I was wondering if somehow I had under or over tensioned one string and as the player stressed the stringbed while hitting the ball, that string was balancing-out with an adjacent string. The creaking could be the string rubbing against the grommet although to me the sound seemed to be coming from the strings and not the grommets....

Interesting how you speak both 3rd person and 1st person about the situation. :) It was someone else you strung for correct? Were you playing with them or something?

I think your hypothesis/explanation makes sense.

I would not "assume it's ok" as others advise. I'd assume you very likely HAVE A PROBLEM.

Here's what I do, or at least try to do related to your dilemma: AFTER EVERY STRINGING I MEASURE EVERY LAST STRING HORIZONTAL AND VERTICAL WITH STRINGMETER. I'd recommend doing this ALWAYS. I'd say it adds 2 minutes to the time once you get good at it and can do maybe 4 strings at once before recording them (I'm a quick typist too though, so ymmv...).

This gives me what I consider a quite good reading on the entire stringjob's quality of tension, and I think you may find it quite fascinating. If you have a problem, probably it will be DISTURBING. :)

So that's what I'd recommend. Get out there and do some testing!

Also, first thing you could test on your hypothesis is if some strings are still looser than others. If there was the kind of compensation you believe may have been causing this string to string, there would I think still be more looseness on those strings, so even though playing DOES even things out some and you can no longer get the original readings from the problem racket, take the readings now.

It may also be there's some fairly heinous problem with your technique that you need to discover (pulling two strings at once for instance).

Valjean
09-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Do they talk, too? You have something; I'd market it, too.

CheapStrings
09-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Wonder Wall,
Yes, I strung for someone and was playing with him. Nope, never tension 2 strings at once. Since this only happened once it may not ever happen again. This player found the Polylon SP/Stamina hybrid too harsh and has had me restring with a full Stamina job.

However, I do like your idea of using a stringmeter for diagnostics. I don't currently have one but I'll get one on my next order from TW and try measuring the stringbed after each stringjob. I don't know about recording the readings but I could look for abnormally higher or lower tensions. Thanks for the idea.