PDA

View Full Version : How many restringing before replacing grommet?

TonyB
09-19-2006, 04:32 PM
As the title says, how many restringings can you expect to get out of a racquet before risking damage to the grommet tubes?

Assume that the racquet is brand new and the grommet is of "recent" design and material. Also assume that the racquet is strung in the middle of its recommended range (around 58 lb.).

I have racquets that are ancient, but haven't been restrung a whole lot, and the grommet is just fine. But I've seen "new" racquets where the grommet is completely ripped apart and needs to be replaced.

LoveThisGame
09-19-2006, 06:13 PM
There's no "rule" with tennis racquets. (Racquetball racquets, with the bumper hitting wall and floor plus low tension strings which bang into the grommet barrels on hits near court surfaces, often have manufacturers stating to change grommets with each stringing. I check closely each stringing and can replace individual grommets or tube if not more than a few, so I figure every other stringing and almost for sure by the third stringing on the grommets.)

The answer is to check for damage. Split barrels. Bumper "shaved " down so that string is exposed in the groove. Tubing and FitTex (individual) grommets can be used. Materials are far, far better than a couple of decades ago.

So my answer is quite a few stringings (with inspection each time) unless the player is rough on the racquet.

steve s
09-19-2006, 07:06 PM
When its time: its time.

Valjean
09-20-2006, 04:06 AM
Several years back the USRSA found that grommet life varies by racquet manufacturer. I think that's still so, too. In general I'd start looking to change them around the sixth restringing, subject to who made them and the type of game you play. But don't wait so long to get your extra grommet set(s), or you may find they are not available.

TonyB
09-20-2006, 04:43 AM
So what do all you people do when you restring every week or so? I read a lot of posts about people restringing their racquets frequently, either after breaking strings after a few days of playing, or just because the tension is dropping.

Do you replace the head grommets after 6 restringings? That seems pretty quick to me, especially since I've seen people around here that restring every week.

Dunlopkid
09-20-2006, 05:24 AM
Hey, a little off topic, but how many stringings does a racket itself last? When does the racket start to noticeably "soften." Also, I've heard the more flexible a frame is, the more quickly it will "break down." My racket is like 61 RA.

Valjean
09-20-2006, 12:06 PM
So what do all you people do when you restring every week or so? I read a lot of posts about people restringing their racquets frequently, either after breaking strings after a few days of playing, or just because the tension is dropping.

Do you replace the head grommets after 6 restringings? That seems pretty quick to me, especially since I've seen people around here that restring every week.
A merited change is one you should confirm is needed, which is why a good stringer even examines the grommets each time a racquet is restrung. However, the longer it's been the more you need to take time or the number of restringings into account--in part because some of the damage that occurs over time can be hidden.

There is a certain arbitrariness to it, and going to be. As said before, based on what you observe yourself, you can raise and lower your threshold however you want. Why do you change the oil in your car, too? It's prevention we're talking here; if you think you want to wait for cure instead, why don't you?

Richie Rich
09-20-2006, 12:29 PM
A merited change is one you should confirm is needed, which is why a good stringer even examines the grommets each time a racquet is restrung. However, the longer it's been the more you need to take time or the number of restringings into account--in part because some of the damage that occurs over time can be hidden.

that's a good point. a good stringer will tell you when to get new grommets. they should be examining your racquet at every stringing.

i find i change mine every few months when i change the bumperguard. the grommets are usually fine but i might as well take the 5 minutes and replace them with a new bumper. that way you avoid string breakage issues caused by old grommets.

rocky b
09-20-2006, 12:39 PM
Several years back the USRSA found that grommet life varies by racquet manufacturer. I think that's still so, too. In general I'd start looking to change them around the sixth restringing, subject to who made them and the type of game you play. But don't wait so long to get your extra grommet set(s), or you may find they are not available.

6 times what are you crazy I say once a year and I string my sticks once a week.

thetenniskid07
09-20-2006, 06:40 PM
6 times what are you crazy I say once a year and I string my sticks once a week.

Agree, I just changed my bumper guard and it's because the old one got weared down from all that court scraping.

Valjean
09-20-2006, 06:41 PM
You are you rocky b, your racquet is your racquet, and every change should be for cause when that is feasible. OTOH, some grommet damage can be all but invisible, and in some cases is better anticipated rather than cured. What do you go by? By the by, there are people who will not install natural gut in a racquet unless a fresh grommet set goes in too; what do you say to them?

LoveThisGame
09-20-2006, 06:59 PM
I take pretty good care of my frames during play. Looking back, I don't think that I've replaced grommets in any of my frames over the past 10-12 years. Occasional FitTex individual grommets yes. Tubes, yes.

Regarding customers' racquets, I've replaced few grommet sets in tennis frames in the past decade, excepting those who abuse bumpers. Twenty years ago, I replaced a lot. That's what I mean by improved material in bumpers. Their fit is a LOT better also.

Richie Rich
09-21-2006, 04:01 AM
Twenty years ago, I replaced a lot. That's what I mean by improved material in bumpers. Their fit is a LOT better also.

i don't know about that - the tecnifibre bumers on my 325 seem to wear out really quickly compared to other brands i've played with in the past. they aren't thin but wear quickly, especially at 10/2 o'clock. wilson, dunlop and prince bumpers seem pretty decent, durability wise, while head's are pretty thin.

Valjean
09-21-2006, 05:34 AM
I take pretty good care of my frames during play. Looking back, I don't think that I've replaced grommets in any of my frames over the past 10-12 years. Occasional FitTex individual grommets yes. Tubes, yes.

Regarding customers' racquets, I've replaced few grommet sets in tennis frames in the past decade, excepting those who abuse bumpers. Twenty years ago, I replaced a lot. That's what I mean by improved material in bumpers. Their fit is a LOT better also.
This post is about you. You don't install new grommets when it can be avoided and can go to some lengths to avoid that. We know you can. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" gets a lot of time in here (though, strangely enough, so far no one has just said "throw the racquet away, then").

Richie Rich
09-21-2006, 06:29 AM
so far no one has just said "throw the racquet away, then").

well, i've seen many guys have to throw away their racquets earlier than normal because they were too lazy to replace the bumper/grommet set and they wore down the graphite and broke the frame. i know you didn't mean your comment in this way but it just seems funny that some people would rather spend $200 on a new racquet than $6 for a bumper/grommet set.

PBODY99
09-21-2006, 09:28 AM
If you inspect your frame before each restringing, you will see when the bumper needs replacement. The barrels of the current crop of grommets tend to hold up, the major problem are being the tie off holes. If your frame goes out of production don't forget to stock up on a few sets of grommets