PDA

View Full Version : Poly for 100+ hours of play?

neo
09-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Assuming it doesn't break, which polyester string will play best for 100+ hours? I understand no string will maintain all characteristics for that long, but which will be better then others?

Richie Rich
09-20-2006, 12:59 PM
at 100 hours i'd be surprised if there is any string on the face of the earth that plats well.

polys lose most playability after 10 hours and by 20 hours are pretty much shot, although some people keep them in for 40 hours or so.

steve s
09-20-2006, 01:38 PM
None, why would you ask???

neo
09-20-2006, 02:04 PM
I asked which will be best, I didn't ask which will be good.

I don't like to restring, and since polyester doesn't break very fast I wanted to find one which will maintain playability the longest.

Ripper
09-20-2006, 02:13 PM
The ones that retain tension better.

neo
09-20-2006, 02:28 PM
The ones that retain tension better.

Can you name a few?

armand
09-20-2006, 02:34 PM
From what I've read on these boards(and that's a lot) I'd say you're looking for SPPP.

I wonder what it feels like, when it goes dead, or any poly for that matter.

Ripper
09-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Can you name a few?

Signum Pro Poly Plasma is said to be the best at retaining tension (but I'm waiting to see if it appears on this year's "String Selection List" to see if this is true).

OrangeOne
09-20-2006, 03:07 PM
I asked which will be best, I didn't ask which will be good.

I don't like to restring, and since polyester doesn't break very fast I wanted to find one which will maintain playability the longest.

Ok - I know this doesn't answer your question. And I know this is uncalled for advice. So feel free to ignore it!

But - why the hatred of restringing? Even (assuming) your 100 hours is a year's worth of tennis (and if you're posting here, I bet you play more often than that!), you're playing 2 hours a week. That's more than 1% of your life on tennis!. For me, it's a shame to spend that much of my life doing something with poor equipment. Assuming 20 hours out of strings (and many do get 30 or 40 or maybe more), it's still only "church-change" per hit.

Maybe it's just me, maybe you hate going to the stringer and not the money, and as I said, ignore this if you choose...

jasonbourne
09-20-2006, 03:28 PM
My stab in the dark would be one of the following:

1) Pro Supex Big Ace
2) Luxilon BB Original

neo
09-20-2006, 03:36 PM
Ok - I know this doesn't answer your question. And I know this is uncalled for advice. So feel free to ignore it!

But - why the hatred of restringing? Even (assuming) your 100 hours is a year's worth of tennis (and if you're posting here, I bet you play more often than that!), you're playing 2 hours a week. That's more than 1% of your life on tennis!. For me, it's a shame to spend that much of my life doing something with poor equipment. Assuming 20 hours out of strings (and many do get 30 or 40 or maybe more), it's still only "church-change" per hit.

Maybe it's just me, maybe you hate going to the stringer and not the money, and as I said, ignore this if you choose...

I know it would be best to come on the court with freshly strung identical 5 or 8 frames every time. But that would require too much money and effort, so I have to compromise. I just wanted to try for 100 hours polyester which maintains playability the longest. If it turns out to be unacceptable I will go back to restringing every 20-30 hours.

vkartikv
09-20-2006, 03:55 PM
Just imagine leaving a bag of chips out in the open with no sealing. When you eat the chips, they have lost their crunch and taste like crap. That's how it feels when you use polys for too long - they lose their crunch.

barry
09-20-2006, 04:00 PM
I know it would be best to come on the court with freshly strung identical 5 or 8 frames every time. But that would require too much money and effort, so I have to compromise. I just wanted to try for 100 hours polyester which maintains playability the longest. If it turns out to be unacceptable I will go back to restringing every 20-30 hours.

Try Gosen Polylon SP, it last longer and is low priced. Prince Synthetic Gut last about 4 matches, Polylon last about 16 matches, and the polylon SP last about 25. It is a very lively string. I think it is the best poly on the market. Either 16 or 17 gauge, both are great.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACGOSEN-POLYSP17.html

neo
09-20-2006, 04:28 PM
Thanks, Barry. I will try that. In a review, someone said Gosen recommends stringing Polylon SP 10% HIGHER then nylon strings. This does not sound right. What tension do you use?

Duzza
09-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Signum Pro Poly Plasma is said to be the best at retaining tension (but I'm waiting to see if it appears on this year's "String Selection List" to see if this is true).
And it is. I love this string.

beernutz
09-20-2006, 06:32 PM
I know this is likely to be read as heresey, but Tuesday I had a match against my long-time playing partner and played probably the best I've ever played, at any time in my life.

The kicker: I'm playing with some Prince Primer with Softflex multifilament that I've had on this racquet for 55 hours. I'm experimenting to see how long this string remains playable or how long before it breaks and I can't believe how well the Premier is still playing. It feels superb and still has plenty of kick. I probably wouldn't have believed it if I'd read it on this board, instead of experiencing it myself.

thetenniskid07
09-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Pro supex big ace
Pro supex premier ace
Cyber flash
Poly Polar
Luxilon Alu
Luxilon Original
SPPP
Big Hitter
Red Code
Pro Hurricane

Hessam
09-20-2006, 10:16 PM
My stab in the dark would be one of the following:

1) Pro Supex Big Ace
2) Luxilon BB Original

Good stab in the dark JO..... I play BBO and I can vouch that, that string does not break on me ever. I could go for at least 6 months playing 6 days a week with that string.

If you can stand to have a one or two sessions with a little tighter than usual tension, this string settles in nicely and doesn't lose it's awsome playing characteristics at all.

I used to string at 52. but now I string at 54 and by second hit it's down to 52-50 and it stays at that level for a very, very long time.

Pusher
09-21-2006, 01:15 AM
Assuming it doesn't break, which polyester string will play best for 100+ hours? I understand no string will maintain all characteristics for that long, but which will be better then others?

It really won't matter. Any poly will be dead long before you play 100 hours.

And if you are a hard hitter plan on seeing an orthopedic surgeon at some point-that really drives up the REAL COST of strings. As the strings go dead you may tend to hit harder to maintain the depth of your shots and eventually something will have to give. Usually its your back.

I also see where some posters are claiming they can get 20-50 hours of playing with polyester. Thats great but if I'm lucky I may get 10 hours.

barry
09-21-2006, 05:42 AM
Thanks, Barry. I will try that. In a review, someone said Gosen recommends stringing Polylon SP 10% HIGHER then nylon strings. This does not sound right. What tension do you use?

I have always used normal tension with Poly. For me the nylon stretches a lot more than poly.

vbtennis99
09-21-2006, 11:02 AM

Good luck finding a poly that will last you 100+ hours.

Even the Luxilon strings don't last that long and go dead after 20-30 hours

aussie
09-21-2006, 08:52 PM
I recommend Wilson Enduro Mono (16L - 1.28mm). Had one of my Prince TT Screams strung at 64 some 9 months ago, and it still plays very well. Tension still good and strings do not move at all and I hit reasonablly heavy top spin forehands. Have not had and elbow/shoulder/wrist probs with this string.

Bogie
09-21-2006, 09:33 PM
i think that kirschbaum p2 is probably the best tension maintaining poly out there. definitely worth a try.

Fatmike
09-22-2006, 05:50 AM

well, i had it for 60 hours (1 month).

Had to cut it cause my was was very painfull (started after 45 hours maybe)

See my other post about signum poly-pro and arm pain

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=120501

wfudeac
09-22-2006, 06:54 AM
Speaking of polys and leaving them in too long, I had my two racquets strung with Luxilon (the red-tinted one) back in April and the strings just broke yesterday. The strings went dead a long time ago but I was planning on letting them break and then buying a racquet stringer instead of paying to have them restrung again. The strings lasted forever but it was really stupid leaving them in that long.

wfudeac
09-22-2006, 06:55 AM
Also, I usually play around 4-5 times a week for at least two hours at a time, so my Luxilon strings were probably dead within a month. Cant believe I left them in for so long!

LoveThisGame
09-22-2006, 06:49 PM
I agree on sppp. I've had the 1.23mm version for 6 months in a racquet I use about half time for doubles. I do play less doubles in summer, but I do play it at least once a week and I've used that frame occasionally for singles.