PDA

View Full Version : One Piece or two piece - why?

tennisphotog
09-20-2006, 06:20 PM
Can someone explain to me (new to stringing) why some racquets should be strung one-piece and others as two-piece. Does it have to do with tie-off holes? Is there really much difference between the two methods? Thanks for your help.

str33t
09-20-2006, 06:23 PM
you have to use two piece if you want to string your main (horizantal) strings using a different string than the cross strings. i.e. a polyester string for the mains and a synthetic gut for the crosses.

Nar57981
09-20-2006, 06:26 PM
I've found that stringing with one string will make things go faster, since you don't need to the string into 2 peices if it comes with 1, so you only have to measure one side. Also you'll probably use more string with a 2 peice, since you need extra string for the knots. You should learn both though, since you might want to do a hybrid later if your using a full string job now.

carpetgrub
09-20-2006, 06:31 PM
Some say it's easier and faster to work with 2 piece because they are shorter and no excess string touching the floor or the like. But faster is not always better. With the 1 piece, the string can get everywhere. Personally, I like the 1 piece. It's has a cleaner look and I don't play hybrids.

tennisphotog
09-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Thanks all, I just found a ton of links here to previous posts on this topic. It seems a lot of folks ponder this question. Thanks.

patrick922
09-20-2006, 06:36 PM
it also depends on who is stringing. if you are stringing 2 piece is easier to work with but if someone is stringing for you make them do 1 piece [looks cleaner]. 2 piece is better because you only work with shorter strings. when you are doing the mains you dont have to pull all the other excess cross string. one piece only has 2 tieoffs while two piece has 4 tieoffs. but i prefer two piece even when i am not hybriding, it is much easier to work with and you arent overwhelmed with all that string

artworks
09-20-2006, 09:10 PM
I prefer 2 piece stringing because I can string at two different tension.

Hessam
09-20-2006, 09:12 PM
You can use different tensions with 2 peice I believe.

Davai
09-20-2006, 10:25 PM
Why do some rackets have a recommmended two piece only set up, does anybody know?

A two piece looks nicer than a one piece and is possibly safer as it's balanced on both sides of the racket. However a one piece is faster and has never been deemed as dangerous.

snoflewis
09-20-2006, 10:56 PM
You can use different tensions with 2 peice I believe.

you can use different tensions w/ 1 piece as well... it's been noted that there is enough friction between the grommets and strings for the mains and crosses to maintain their tension...several people on the boards here do this...as for me, i stay w/ two piece due to the fact that i only have yonex rackets.

snoflewis
09-20-2006, 10:59 PM
Why do some rackets have a recommmended two piece only set up, does anybody know?

A two piece looks nicer than a one piece and is possibly safer as it's balanced on both sides of the racket. However a one piece is faster and has never been deemed as dangerous.

some rackets, Head and Yonex in particular, can only be strung two piece because the crosses NEED to be strung top down. because most the mains end at the throat, a one piece requires you to string the crosses bottom up, causing potential damage to the frame. if you don't like two piece stringing, there is always the ATW method to keep the string job one piece and string the crosses top down...

BobbyChicken
09-21-2006, 12:26 PM
My coach plays with a yonex with a on piece string job. The most notable difference between the one and two peice for me is that I hit good with a one piece and terrible with a two piece. It feels fine at first but then the mains must loosen up differently from the crosses because after an hour it feels terrible and i get it cut out. I tried it twice just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. My coach said he couldn't hit with a two piece either.

PBODY99
09-21-2006, 02:53 PM
Outside of the need to install the crossses top down for warranty issuses, some players just have a personal perference.

Nar57981
09-21-2006, 04:28 PM
some rackets, Head and Yonex in particular, can only be strung two piece because the crosses NEED to be strung top down. because most the mains end at the throat, a one piece requires you to string the crosses bottom up, causing potential damage to the frame. if you don't like two piece stringing, there is always the ATW method to keep the string job one piece and string the crosses top down...

i've been using a one peice for my LM Radical...if works just fine :D

R-Fed
09-21-2006, 04:32 PM
I believe a two piece string job holds tension better and the string doesn't break as fast.

Radical Shot
09-21-2006, 07:37 PM
I like to string 1 piece if I can, because I do an ATW pattern on my prostaff which allows for both end mains to be rock-solid tight.

From what I know, a 2 piece job will always have the last 2 mains slightly looser due to the knot tie-off. Not so with a 1 piece ATW.