PDA

View Full Version : Wrist tenderness while using Hurricane Pro

BeeVee
09-21-2006, 05:25 AM
I've used a Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 16g/Gosen OG Sheep Micro 16g hybrid for about 7 sets now; 3 total times out. Each time, the next day, I've had some wrist tenderness which I've never experienced before.

I'm using a Yonex RDX500 HD and I'm stringing at 63 lbs. What can I do differently to my setup that might help this wrist issue? Would moving to a thinner gauge help? Or going to SPPP, as it sounds like it's the softest poly.

Noisy Ninja
09-21-2006, 05:49 AM
Lowering the tension of Hurricane mains should be your first step.

chair ump
09-21-2006, 05:51 AM
yeah, 63 for pro hurricane is like hitting with a 2x4...just a little harsh on the arm to say the least.

Duzza
09-21-2006, 05:54 AM
yeah, 63 for pro hurricane is like hitting with a 2x4...just a little harsh on the arm to say the least.
lol that would hurt :P

BeeVee
09-21-2006, 06:06 AM
I thought of that too, but I'm afaid I'm going to generate too much power, as, powerwise, it's perfect right now. I went from using wilson extreme synthetic gut at 68 lbs to this.

I have another HD coming today, so I can string that up looser. Would going down to 60 make a big enough difference, or should I go lower?

Thanks for the replies.

steve s
09-21-2006, 06:12 AM
If Hurricane gives you pain, try a softer poly.

counterpuncher
09-21-2006, 03:05 PM
If Hurricane gives you pain, try a softer poly.
Agree but would add, a softer lower powered poly. Out of the ones I've used I'd suggest Klip K-Boom 18

R-Fed
09-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Or even Pro Hurricane 18

BabolatFan
09-21-2006, 05:22 PM
I thought of that too, but I'm afaid I'm going to generate too much power, as, powerwise, it's perfect right now. I went from using wilson extreme synthetic gut at 68 lbs to this.

I have another HD coming today, so I can string that up looser. Would going down to 60 make a big enough difference, or should I go lower?

Thanks for the replies.

I plan to test pro hurr tour too after I've gotten solid reviews on it. Lowering your tension will definitely reduce stress on your wrist. I had my alu bb strung at 65 and started having wrist pain. I hit with sw topspin forehand and shb. I dropped it to 62 and didn't find it helpful. Anyways I ended up dropping my tension to 57lbs and it's been great as far as wrist issues plus I can now add more topspin and generate more rac head speed without fear of injuring my wrist. So maybe you should go a tat below 60 and find out. The only drawback might be spending a bit more time gauging your control with this new low tension. Goodluck mate.

tlm
09-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Poly strings are hard on the arm period!!!

Safina
09-21-2006, 09:28 PM
I was afraid of lowering tension on my polyester main strings for fear of losing control and having too much power.
(this did happen with Gosen Polyon SP)
but with Luxilon or Babolat Hurricane, I have found that lowering the tension has only helped my game... big time!
I have more power on a hard first serve, and my forehand actually has MORE control due to increased topspin from I suppose more dwell time on the strings.
It took FAR too long for me to tweak my setup, and I am so happy that I risked the $20 stringjob. Never again at over 60lbs.... I am now hitting great at 55lbs. Try it!

BeeVee
09-22-2006, 04:06 AM
I appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm going to string up my other HD tonight at 57 lbs. Hopefully, that'll do the trick. If not, I'll try a softer poly. If that doesn't work, I'll *weep* have to use something entirely different.

Thanks again.

Valjean
09-22-2006, 11:00 AM
Wrist tendonitis can take a long time to heal, bro; I'd switch now, away from poly altogether too.

TonyB
09-30-2006, 07:48 PM
I have been playing a bit recently and ever since August I've had some wrist tendon problems. I switched racquets to a more flexible racquet with a lower tension string. That helped a lot, but I still had some minor issues.

Today, I played with my original racquet (the stiffer one) strung with SPPP 17g. This was the first time I've played in over a month that I didn't have any wrist or arm/elbow problems. It's amazing.

I don't know if SPPP is considered a "soft" poly, but it sure as hell felt soft on my arm today. Low powered, comfortable, good access to spin... it's a great string. I'm trying the 17L next.

Faber
09-30-2006, 08:09 PM
No problems here and I play about 8-10hrs a week. I string mine at 55lbs with a N61 Tour 90. Lots of control obviously with no a super high tension as the headsize is smaller.