PDA

View Full Version : Am I over weight???

Tour90
08-02-2004, 01:38 AM
Well, I weigh in at 140lbs and I'm 5'8', am I fat? I move relatively well on the court, I have decent power when it comes to forehands and backhands. I do have a beer belly too, I think I got it from my dad. What should I do to get in shape? Lift weights or just run like I do now?

gmlasam
08-02-2004, 05:15 AM
Body weight is not an accurate measure of how fat you are. Body fat calipers or a more accurate Hydrodensitometry Weighing, where you are submerged in water, is a better measure of how fat you are. If you are about over 30% body fat, then you are considered obese.

Determining how fat you are by means of body weight is not accurate. A very fit and muscular person who is 5'8" with 10% body fat can weight 195 or higher due to the fact muscle weights more than fat.

You did not get your beer belly from you dad. You got your beer belly because you take in more calories than what you expend, and your body stores the extra calories as fat thus beer belly.

spt
08-02-2004, 03:01 PM
I always thought it might just be easier to grow 3 or 4 inches. Maybe you should ask Mary kate Olsen. 140 and 5'8" - eat a hamburger.

James Brown
08-02-2004, 11:36 PM
dude im 5'8 and 178.5 ..and im chubby...federer weighs 170 ish...lol, 140? thats tiny as hell, if anything grab a couple of cheeseburgers

zesty-man
08-03-2004, 12:42 AM
yea, i agree with gmlasam. im 5'6 and 145 lbs. i have abs, but i also have a bit of a belly, and some really small love handles. its all genetics. i used to be 5'4 180ish, until i went on a diet, and started working out more. kept it off for over two years now...

to get in shape, thats a really good question. well, for one i worked out, and got faster, and stronger. however, ive heard that working out can also make you slower. i think, the reason i got faster was because i lost those extra pounds, and had more muscles in my legs etc etc. at the same time, bigger muscles burn more calories. this also means that theyre burning more calories in your sleep, which is a good thing. i would try workin out for maybe a month, and see if you like it.

khs_tennis
08-03-2004, 10:01 AM
I'm 5'8" and 140 lbs. I have pretty flat abs, not exactly a six pack yet but it's coming along. I've also got pretty good muscle tone and mass. I used to be around 165 a year ago but that tennis season i lost about 5 lbs and then i went i started working out like running about 2 miles a day, a little weight lifting, and abs, nothing too strenous. I usually eat what i want too and am still losing weight but i do cut back on soda and high fat foods. Drinking soda and other high fructose level drinks are a killer to a diet. I strongly recommend drinking a lot more water than soda.

Kirko
08-05-2004, 09:38 PM
Read recently that fat around the abb. is a living organism draws blood and spews toxic matter back into the body . A person who has fat evenly distributed does not have this malady.

goober
08-21-2004, 05:30 PM
Well, I weigh in at 140lbs and I'm 5'8', am I fat? I move relatively well on the court, I have decent power when it comes to forehands and backhands. I do have a beer belly too, I think I got it from my dad. What should I do to get in shape? Lift weights or just run like I do now?

If you have a beer belly at 5'8" and 140 lbs, that is not a good sign. It most likely means you do not have a lot of muscle tone.

you should do both aerobic exercise (like running and tennis) and weight lifting. I would improve your diet too. Cut out the junk food and sweets and get some proper nutrition in ya!

Rickson
08-21-2004, 05:35 PM
I was ripped to the bone when I weighed 148 and I'm shorter than you. Body weight is the worst way to determine whether you're fat or not. Body composition(muscle to fat ratio) is the best determining measure.

K!ck5w3rvE
08-27-2004, 12:54 AM
No, you are not overweight. You are obese. You need to lose 40lbs to be healthy. That's disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourself. Am I overweight......are you being sarcastic?

kevhen
09-02-2004, 01:42 PM
6'4 208 here and in decent shape and still moving well for 34. My ideal weight would be about 190 as it was in college playing bball. Muscle weighs more than fat so sometimes you can add weight and look and feel better if you are adding muscle to your frame.

sonnylax
09-03-2004, 10:59 AM
I'm 5'8" and 175 lbs. But my body fat percentage is only at 10%. As kevhen & gmlasam stated - muscle weights more then fat. So if you get into weight lifting you may add weight, but lose fat. (Your body will look better even though you may appear heavier on the scale.)

Weight lifting and running will help boost your metabolism and you will burn more calories during excercise and more importantly after excercise.

PHSTennis
09-03-2004, 05:03 PM
I'm 5'8" and 140 lbs. I have pretty flat abs, not exactly a six pack yet but it's coming along. I've also got pretty good muscle tone and mass. I used to be around 165 a year ago but that tennis season i lost about 5 lbs and then i went i started working out like running about 2 miles a day, a little weight lifting, and abs, nothing too strenous. I usually eat what i want too and am still losing weight but i do cut back on soda and high fat foods. Drinking soda and other high fructose level drinks are a killer to a diet. I strongly recommend drinking a lot more water than soda.

Your exactlly me man... khs tennis im PHSTennis... wow.. I stopped drinking soda.. yeah same weight and heigh... I dont think I am fat... I used to wear large shirts now I wear smalls and mediums comfortably.. cause the belly has gone smaller.. Ive gotten comments of being bigger and stuff :) Yeah workout workout workout I workout at 6:00 and goto school at 8:00 but the results pay off :p anyone have a nice workout plan to share? Im at 14% body fat and im 16.

Ronaldo
09-03-2004, 06:58 PM
5'9" and dropped from 205 to 138# in 6 mos. Ran 5 or more miles 6/days week, played tennis, and watched what I ate. This was before discovering weight-lifting and proper nutrition. Discover aerobic training.

James Brown
09-04-2004, 01:16 AM
ronaldo, thats not healthy to lose that much weight. you should get that checked out bro..lol im 5'8 176, id like to hit 165, i got some chub but thats it. i cant believe you guys weigh 140, my friend weighs 140 but hes azn (skinny as HELL), just aint right.

equinox
07-17-2009, 11:23 AM
I believe the new term is skinnyfat and it is linsey lohan approved.

mike53
07-17-2009, 11:43 AM
5'9" and dropped from 205 to 138# in 6 mos. Ran 5 or more miles 6/days week, played tennis, and watched what I ate. This was before discovering weight-lifting and proper nutrition. Discover aerobic training.

You should get a prize for that

chess9
07-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Body weight is not an accurate measure of how fat you are. Body fat calipers or a more accurate Hydrodensitometry Weighing, where you are submerged in water, is a better measure of how fat you are. If you are about over 30% body fat, then you are considered obese.

Determining how fat you are by means of body weight is not accurate. A very fit and muscular person who is 5'8" with 10% body fat can weight 195 or higher due to the fact muscle weights more than fat.

You did not get your beer belly from you dad. You got your beer belly because you take in more calories than what you expend, and your body stores the extra calories as fat thus beer belly.

This.

Your weight could be almost anything under 230 lbs! I had a friend who was 220 lbs at 5'7" tall. Of course, he was the World Powerlifting Champion. ;)

If you have a beer belly, you are overweight. If you are thin boned and ectomorphic you are definitely overweight.

Start eating right, and cut out some of the beer. ;)

-Robert