PDA

View Full Version : Borg's serve/string tension

need2paint
09-21-2006, 10:01 PM
I'm not sure where this thread belongs but here it goes:

I'm curious as to why there is very little mention about Bjorn Borg's serve. Was it good?

Also, did his high string tension effect his serve in any way positive or negative?

drakulie
09-21-2006, 10:01 PM
lot of slice

maxply
09-22-2006, 03:23 AM
Borgs first serve was very powerful,at 1981 us open he hit a few @ 116 mph, his second serve had a lot of spin but could be attacked.
His tension was 75-85 pounds ,very high for a wood racquet

MLoutch
09-22-2006, 07:05 AM
Borg had a very good serve - hardly doubled and his first serve was a threat. Interesting thing was in 1976 on his way to his first wimby title he was changing his motion and working to develop a more powerful serve. He actually hurt himself and tore some abdominal muscles and he played hurt - if you ever get to see a replay of the final with Nastase you'll note that on almost every changeover borg was opening his shorts and spraying liquid ice down into the area just so he cold play -

LttlElvis
09-22-2006, 09:30 AM
Watch the 5th set of the 1980 Wimbledon final vs. McEnroe. After losing that famous tiebreaker with multiple championship points, most people would have had a let down.

Borg lost like 2 points on his serve in the final set. I remember reading in his autobiography. He said he was serving like thunder in that last set. LOL.

drakulie
09-22-2006, 09:44 AM
Borgs first serve was very powerful,at 1981 us open he hit a few @ 116 mph, his second serve had a lot of spin but could be attacked.

Yeah, there are a lot of stories about his string tension being so high. Supposedly he had his racquets strung so tight the day before a match, the following day many of his frames would be warped or cracked.

andrew_b
09-22-2006, 11:32 AM
Yeah, there are a lot of stories about his string tension being so high. Supposedly he had his racquets strung so tight the day before a match, the following day many of his frames would be warped or cracked.

I remember an article about him in Tennis magazine while he was still playing that mentioned how when his rackets were strung, sometimes they'd crack when they came off the stringing machine.

play well,
Andrew

VGP
09-22-2006, 09:06 PM
I remember an article about him in Tennis magazine while he was still playing that mentioned how when his rackets were strung, sometimes they'd crack when they came off the stringing machine.

play well,
Andrew

I remember McEnroe commenting on Borg's rackets by saying that while Bjorn was on a flight, he'd buy another seat to hold his back full of rackets.....sometimes, you'd hear a "ping" and crackling....the strings were breaking during the flight.

stormholloway
09-23-2006, 11:00 AM
It'd be hard to get pop with racquets strung as tight as Borg's, especially with that wooden Donnay. Those things are not easily manueverable. Borg's serve got much better over his career.

heycal
09-23-2006, 11:11 PM
Have you seen US Open final from 1980? Borg's racket exploded as he served and it went flying out of his hands. McEnroe returned the serve nice and easy, and Borg, with no racket in his hand, kicked the ball back over the net, and quite well too. Then McEnroe dropped his racket for fun, and tried kicking it back. Great little moment...

Mick
09-25-2006, 08:00 PM
do you guys know what is the lowest tension that the donnay borg pro racket could be strung at ?

45 lbs, maybe ???

AndrewD
09-25-2006, 10:31 PM
do you guys know what is the lowest tension that the donnay borg pro racket could be strung at ?

45 lbs, maybe ???

Mate, you could weave the strings through by hand (no machine) and turn it into a fishing net if you wanted, same as any racquet: they don't break if you string them at 10lbs. If you mean the lowest tension you could string it and still retain control, probably around 25lbs (same as a few pros used to string their wooden frames).

stormholloway
09-26-2006, 12:58 PM
And smaller heads would be strung at lower tensions comparitively, which makes Borg's racquets pretty ridiculous at 75 lbs.

AndrewD
09-26-2006, 04:22 PM
If you ever get the chance to see a video of the Borg-Nastase Wimbledon final (Im sure that's the one) you'll see footage of Borg and his coach, Lennart Bergelin, in the locker room before the match. Bergelin hands a few racquets to Borg who proceeds to tap the strings and reject the racquets which don't 'sound right'. Bergelin then puts the racquets on the floor and stands on the strings, trying to drop the tension. Not unheard of but strange to see someone of Borg's stature doing it right before a Wimbledon final.

Also, remember that Borg's racquet was a long way from being a standard frame. He, like many other players, had extra layers added to increase the stiffness. So,the tension it could accomodate was higher than an average racquet -although, I imagine 75lbs was pushing it lol.

Mick
09-26-2006, 04:44 PM
thanks guys. I just bought a mint conditioned donnay borg pro from the big auction site. i think i'm going to string it mighty low with black string :)

Mick
09-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Just got it . It's very sweet .

http://i10.tinypic.com/34zlm44.jpg