PDA

View Full Version : NXT Tour 18 to Gut - tension change?

andrew_b
09-22-2006, 10:28 AM
Moved to a new racket, the Babolat Pure Control+, and have found the tension I like (58#), with the string I've used for some time, NXT Tour 18. I'm not a string breaker, so I've decided to try out some gut sets. I used to play exclusively with gut many,many years ago, so I'm hoping the improvement in feel I remember from then will still be there.

My question is whether I should increase the tension on the gut (I'm leaning towards BDE Perf 17 or Tonic+ in 16 guage) a couple pounds or leave it where it is, based on the fact my testing found I like the Tour 18 at 58.

Thoughts?

Also, thoughts on the BDE vs. Tonic vs. anything else appreciated. I used to use VS, but don't want to pay for it (I was sponsored back in the day....).

Play well,
Andrew

Valjean
09-22-2006, 10:36 AM
Sorry, but I think you're better off hybriding VS (it is now available in half sets for that reason) with anything else--say, Babolat's Xcel Premium, also available that way, and Prince's Premier with Softflex--than taking one of the lesser ones. And I think you can use 60 lbs., or 59/61 if you want to prevent string movement, with VS in the mains.

andrew_b
09-22-2006, 10:44 AM
Sorry, but I think you're better off hybriding VS (it is now available in half sets for that reason) with anything else--say, Babolat's Xcel Premium, also available that way, and Prince's Premier with Softflex--than taking one of the lesser ones. And I think you can use 60 lbs., or 59/61 if you want to prevent string movement, with VS in the mains.

That was another thought, especially since I have a few sets of NXT left....

So you feel a hybrid with VS will play better than a full set of something like Tonic+, BDE Perf, or Klip Legend?

I was kind of ruling out hybrid simply because I thought it was mainly to preserve string life. For some reason, I just don't break strings. I think I'll find that change some with the new racket, sinc ethe string pattern is less dense than the Dunlop 200G I was playing, but the NXT 18 that's been in there is just starting to fray a little and it's been over 2 months playing 4-5 times a week. In the Dunlop, I used to cut the NXT out simply because it would go dead....

Valjean
09-22-2006, 10:54 AM
Yeah, I do. In the gut world, you really do get what you pay for.

And since you do have NXT left over, at least try it that way first.

andrew_b
09-22-2006, 11:03 AM
And since you do have NXT left over, at least try it that way first.

Well, that's a thought...I have 2 sets of NXT left. I could buy one set of VS, and string both rackets using it and the NXT. That would actually end up costing about the same as 2 sets of the BDE or similar....

And up a pound or two, tension-wise?

play well,
Andrew

Valjean
09-22-2006, 11:07 AM
I would say so, particularly given the difference in stiffness between regular NXT and NXT Tour. You know of this yourself, though; how do you feel it should be for it?

Keifers
09-22-2006, 11:08 AM
Valjean, what's you experience or sense of how quickly the synthetic crosses in a gut/synthetic hybrid lose their playability due to tension loss? I ask because gut lasts so much longer than synths in terms of tension hold, and I'm wondering if I should make sure to choose a longer-tension-holding synth for the crosses, rather than a shorter-tension-holding synth.

For example, would it make that much difference if I used NXT (Original) or NXT Tour or NXT OS as crosses for VS gut mains?

Many thanks in advance.

Valjean
09-22-2006, 11:15 AM
In my view, synthetic gut crosses are subject to less stress than the mains, hence their rate of tension loss plays a lesser role in how they do. No, I don't think NXT original is the best cross string synthetic gut choice andrew b could make, but, since we are talking about crosses here, it is an adequate one.

andrew_b
09-22-2006, 11:19 AM
I would say so, particularly given the difference in stiffness between regular NXT and NXT Tour. You know of this yourself, though; how do you feel it should be for it?

Hmm, I think I went up a pound or so when I switched from NXT to the Tour, but all I've used is Tour 18 for a long time (ever since they came out with the 18 guage), so that's a guess (until I check my string notebook).

Also clarification - when I said I had some NXT left, I meant Tour 18, so I'd be using that as the hybrid.

Anyway, shouldn't be bad even if I'm off a pound, I played the NXT Tour in this frame at 57, 58, and 59 until settling on the 58...

I'm still trying to get my arms around a hybrid playing as well as a full set of gut, even with the differences in quality between a VS and a Tonic+ or BDE Perf. While I used to be able to easily tell the difference between VS and other lesser brands, the difference between even the lesser brands and synthetics was so large....

Play well,
Andrew

Valjean
09-22-2006, 11:28 AM
You'd want to get the tension right, since cross string tension controls the power of the stringbed and synthetics have a slightly slower rebound effect.

NXT Tour is the stiffer of the two; but, what gauge is the NXT you have?

If you are still having doubts about it, though, just go for the gut; it's your money...

andrew_b
09-22-2006, 11:36 AM
You'd want to get the tension right, since cross string tension controls the power of the stringbed and synthetics have a slightly slower rebound effect.

NXT Tour is the stiffer of the two; but, what gauge is the NXT you have?

If you are still having doubts about it, just go for the gut.

All I have is the NXT Tour, 18 guage.

LOL, plus a half-set of whatever that Wilson string is that gets thinner in the middle...found it the other day in my stringing backpack...it's ancient.

So...given the info about the cross string tension, I would guess I'd want it to be 58 (where it is now), and then the mains a pound or 2 higher? Is that right?

Valjean
09-22-2006, 11:40 AM
Wilson's Sweetspot; proportional stringing is designed for the same effect, as are other techniques meant to expand the racquet's sweetspot.

That tension should work out.

andrew_b
09-22-2006, 11:44 AM
Wilson's Sweetspot; proportional stringing is designed for the same effect, as are other techniques meant to expand the racquet's sweetspot.

That tension should work out.

That's the one! I actually toyed with the idea of using it in the mains in a hybrid with a half set of NXT Tour 18 I have left from a set I got that was actually too short to fully string a frame.

Ok, so that's the setup for a hybrid - what if I go with a full set of gut. Up a couple pounds for it as well?

Valjean
09-22-2006, 02:22 PM
I would, although it would depend on what brand you chose. The ones you list are tough enough that you likely wouldn't need to. With VS, you should.