PDA

View Full Version : Gut in Mains, poly in X's, what gauge?

ceruleance
09-22-2006, 12:20 PM
I've been playing with babo VS 17 in mains and Luxilon BB ALU 16 in the crosses. My question is this:

If poly hardly ever breaks (which is my experience) how come people don't play with it in 17 or 18 gauge which I would think would give you more power/spin? Is it because Lux doesn't make an ALU 17 or 18 gauge? Tension retainment?

Along these lines has anyone tried both a gut/BB ALU 16 hybrid and a gut/Lux TIMO or Lux ACE? (one of the thinner Lux strings)? Which did you prefer?

Dennis Chan
09-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Makes sense to use a 17 gauge cross. This is exactly what I am doing. I'd just make sure the poly holds tension for as long as the gut will last. Since holding tension is the main concern, I don't use a 18 poly.

I use SPPP and Big Hitter by the way.

jackson vile
09-22-2006, 01:54 PM
The reason is that most people using poly are cronic string breakers, so they end up breaking poly anyways.

I have not figured out how these people chew through string like this other than they play more tennis than the average person

Or they mishit and just drive right through it and break the strings that way

Finally those that play on clay have the clay playing a big part

Perhaps they go balls out all the time also, I used to do that with my LMP+ and that was fine with mutli but that is a closed pattern.

bsandy
09-22-2006, 03:16 PM
Remember -- What Lux calls 16L (1.25mm), everybody else calls 17.

T.J. Planas
09-22-2006, 03:56 PM
I use babolat Tonic 16 mains and Lux Ace 18 crosses at 63/57 lbs. Plays great and last me a lot longer than a set of synthetic gut like PSG 16 or Stamina 16. I play with the nCode 90. I love the set up....it plays almost like a full set of gut. I hardly feel the poly b/c I string the gut 10% tighter. FYI, I tried the poly on the mains as well as several other combos of Lux Alu 16 and gut etc. I liked this best.

-T.J.