PDA

View Full Version : Match on Sunday what to do?

300Gkid
09-22-2006, 03:56 PM
The strings I have on my racquet at the moment, are completley and totally dead, it even hurts to hit the ball, however, i have a match on Sunday. I ordered string on Wed. expecting it to come friday w/ 2 day shipping. However, i was wrong and its not expected to come until mon. Now, there is absolutley no where to buy string in my area so that isn't an option. However, i have some cheap very old 16 gauge nylon string that came w/ my stringer. Should i string that in or keep the dead string I have? (POSG 17 @55) Is nylon really that bad?

NOTE, IMPORTANT: If it makes a difference the string is called Victor Endurance, says it uses polymer contruction to get the best synthetic expireince possible and has pictures of people using wooden racquets on the front.

goblake14
09-22-2006, 04:20 PM
I don't envy your position but I would stick with the POSG. The old nylon may break while stringing or break on the first hit or two. I really wouldn't risk it. If I were you I would suffer through the POSG and hope for the best.

Ronaldo
09-22-2006, 04:40 PM
The strings I have on my racquet at the moment, are completley and totally dead, it even hurts to hit the ball, however, i have a match on Sunday. I ordered string on Wed. expecting it to come friday w/ 2 day shipping. However, i was wrong and its not expected to come until mon. Now, there is absolutley no where to buy string in my area so that isn't an option. However, i have some cheap very old 16 gauge nylon string that came w/ my stringer. Should i string that in or keep the dead string I have? (POSG 17 @55) Is nylon really that bad?

NOTE, IMPORTANT: If it makes a difference the string is called Victor Endurance, says it uses polymer contruction to get the best synthetic expireince possible and has pictures of people using wooden racquets on the front.

Got friends that string? Maybe you can get a set of string from them.

LoveThisGame
09-22-2006, 05:25 PM
I see that you are in MA. Is there no club or store withing reasonable driving distance that you can talk into selling you a set of string?

You might check racquetTech.com, the USRSA (stringers association) site, for stringers in your area. If you find someone listed, perhaps they can sell you a set.

Ronaldo
09-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Whoa, hold the starter clamps. Got a hardware store nearby? String trimmer line for weedwackers may do, cheap too.

rocky b
09-23-2006, 04:19 AM
Go to sports authority buy there string then return the new one once you get it

Duzza
09-23-2006, 04:30 AM

dude get more racquets...

300Gkid
09-23-2006, 04:41 AM
i have 2 300G's but on one the strings are broken and on this one there really dead, i guess i could use another but they are hard to come by these days. Anyway, does anyone know any tennis stores in MA?

tennis_nerd22
09-23-2006, 05:46 AM
for starters, at least string your backup racket with the old nylon. whats the point of having a backup? use your POSG strung racket as your main obviously, but at least string your backup with the old nylon. that way, you can try the old nylon out, while still having your other racket left incase.

that seems like a really obvious decision to me, is there something im missing?

TonyB
09-23-2006, 06:06 AM
I don't understand what you mean by "the strings are totally dead". Why do you feel they are "dead?"

I pulled a racquet out of my basement this year that hasn't been strung since 1992. Back then, it was strung to 58 lb. with Toa Leoina 66 (16 gauge) tournament nylon.

I've played probably 15-20 hours on the strings so far this year since pulling it out of the basement and they STILL play just fine. Right now, I'm a 4.0 NTRP, down from a 5.0 rating that I had years ago. So it's not like I don't know how to hit the ball.

peter
09-23-2006, 08:29 AM
i have 2 300G's but on one the strings are broken and on this one there really dead, i guess i could use another but they are hard to come by these days. Anyway, does anyone know any tennis stores in MA?

So string the broken one with the old nylon string!

300Gkid
09-23-2006, 09:18 AM
good idea but...............the other one is really my "backup", its slightly cracked at the top and i only use it if im desperate, but anyway, its supposed to rain tomorrow anyway so i'll just string it w/ the string that comes on Monday

tennis_nerd22
09-23-2006, 10:34 AM
good idea but...............the other one is really my "backup", its slightly cracked at the top and i only use it if im desperate, but anyway, its supposed to rain tomorrow anyway so i'll just string it w/ the string that comes on Monday

you sound desperate right now buddy ;) but anyways hopefully you'll luck out and the rain will save you. it saved me today. i was in the semi's of an adult 4.0 tourney and i got up and just didnt want to play (i hate morning matches), then it rained :D i did a nadal like fist pump and 'come on!' and went back to sleep, lmao

300Gkid
09-24-2006, 04:00 AM
yea im lookin for new racquets and guess what, it turns out i love Massachusetts weather, IT RAINED

goober
09-24-2006, 06:30 AM
yea im lookin for new racquets and guess what, it turns out i love Massachusetts weather, IT RAINED

If you string your own racquets you should overstock your supply of strings. Buy reels of stuff you use regularly and packages of string you want to try out and you won't ever be caught in this situation again. One of the reasons I bought a stringer is one time a broke a 2 sets of strings on the night before a tournament and I had to go into the tourney with one racquet.

mctennis
09-24-2006, 07:37 AM
I agree with Duzza. Get a backup racquet somehow. What are you saving by not doing that? If you are a regular tennis player you should know that by now.