PDA

View Full Version : Strings, when to change them?

Virgilio
09-22-2006, 04:40 PM
I've heard that you usually change them as many times a year equal of as many days a week you play, so that if you play only once a week you should change it once a year...but, what if I have my strings on since 8 months and played sometimes once and sometimes twice and sometimes no game for a week, would you still change them?

jamauss
09-22-2006, 04:51 PM
This depends on many factors, really. If you hit with a lot of topspin and hit the ball hard, you'll probably end up breaking strings in which case, they get replaced.

If you don't break strings by playing, I'd say to get it restrung once or twice a year maybe - but only if tension loss bothers you.

LoveThisGame
09-22-2006, 05:20 PM
jamauss's advice is good.

There's two ways you can learn that tension loss is becoming a problem. One is if you are losing some control and spraying the ball a bit. The other is if the mains (possibly the crosses, too) are beginning to wander around a bit.

There's actually a third way, using a StringMeter to get a handle on the tension after stringing and then checking at various times to see if there is much loss. The StringMeter is a manual device which is spring loaded and doesn't give the true tension but is good for knowing relative tensions over time. It costs roughly $20 and may not be a cost effective purchase at this point in your tennis career.

arnz
09-22-2006, 05:29 PM
Once or twice a year sounds good for a recreational player. However, it is interesting that since I have been doing my own stringing, I have been extremely sensitive to changes in tension and its relation to how I play. Now I string a whole lot more, and its not too expensive since I buy reels.

Its all about consistency, and when you're equipment feels consistent on a day to day basis I believe you will play better IMHO

Valjean
09-22-2006, 06:40 PM
The USRSA now recommends you change your strings a minimum of twice a year. When you follow that approach, the best time to change them seems to be fall and spring, which is when climate conditions alter enough to justify it.

fx101
09-22-2006, 06:55 PM
See this is why I use gut, ther'es no guesswork. It breaks and you re-string. Easy as that.

Virgilio
09-23-2006, 02:48 AM
Thanks for the various inputs. Actually I play with really flat forehands and just every once in a while some sliced backhands and yes, I definitely am a recreational player. The reason why I am saying this is that I've never broke a string in my life...hearing in here of so many breakages, I guess it has to be me that either play too slow and with so little effect.

I use two racquets (in case I brake one...but statistically never happened, lol), and use to switch them every once in a while depending on how I feel (also in one I've put gauze for the summer). I strung both of them in february and didn't restring them yet. Tension is still ok for power, but not too good for control (I used to like a lot more), but that might also depend on the string (now using PSG and before using PSGD, which had more grip in my opinion) and the tension (currently at 25kg but might go as high as 27 next stringing job). Serves are quite good, backhands are ok, forehands are so so (but that's not a stringing problem) but sensibility at the net is very bad (oh, by the way, my racquet is a LM heat). I was thinking about restringing at 27, but maybe it's too early, might want to wait for one year. Also, did anyone of you guys ever tried to add lead in the handle? Thanks in advance.

Virgilio
09-23-2006, 02:52 AM
Gut where I live costs 40 euros (about 31$). I don't know if it is a good choice...in the winter it doesn't get too cold, but in the summer it gets a lot of humidity (90%). Can you really play gut untill it breaks? And how often would it break?

tennistim777
09-23-2006, 08:32 AM
I've heard that you usually change them as many times a year equal of as many days a week you play, so that if you play only once a week you should change it once a year...but, what if I have my strings on since 8 months and played sometimes once and sometimes twice and sometimes no game for a week, would you still change them?

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=118909

This link should help. Thanks!!

jackson vile
09-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Here is the answer..................................

When every you feel like it, it is a very very personal thing, if you don't like how the strings are feeling, get it re-strung.

If it has been 10 years but it still feels good to you, then you use it

Valjean
09-23-2006, 11:53 AM
"Yeah, never ask any questions, too. There aren't any answers you don't come up with! In fact, do away with this forum..."

mctennis
09-24-2006, 07:29 AM
Yes, this is the general rule of thumb. If you have not used them in 8 months I'd try them.