PDA

View Full Version : When to change an overgrip?

Virgilio
09-22-2006, 04:43 PM
Do you change your overgrip when it is completely wear out or just when it gets a little slippery or just when it gets dirty?

jamauss
09-22-2006, 04:46 PM
I used to wait until it got really worn out but now that I buy the 30 pack of Yonex SuperGrap I find myself replacing it after 3 or 4 sessions when it doesn't have the really tacky feel to it anymore. I hit the ball so hard that I really need to be able to maintain a tight grip on my racquet so I need the tackiness. It all depends though. I'd say if the grip still feels comfortable enough in your hand, keep it on there. If the racquet is slipping a little, time to change overgrips.

Bryant
09-22-2006, 06:41 PM
It depends on how picky you are on the feel of your racquets. Some people can hardly play with a slightly worn overgrip and re wrap every match/set/whatever.

Faber
09-22-2006, 07:04 PM
I have a 30 pack of Wilson Pro Overgrip. I put new grip on every time I play. I played last night for 2 hours and the tackiness was gone. I noticed the grip was slipping near the end. What I usually do is switch racquets in between.

I used to wait till there were rips etc then replace...However I used to get lots of blisters that way, so I've resorted to changing it everytime I play.

Tennis Man
09-22-2006, 07:42 PM
Depends on how much you sweat and how you handle your racquet, I change my overgrip like once in 2 weeks... when it starts falling apart .. but that's just me

Silentgunz
09-22-2006, 07:59 PM
For me i change mine ever week... i usually change it when the color wears out where i grip it and is black

Zets147
09-22-2006, 08:27 PM
Usually every 4-5 hours (2 practice sessions).

snoflewis
09-22-2006, 09:51 PM
depends...sometimes, the grip feels really slippery, but it's because my hand's so dry and/or the courts are dusty. i can tell that a grip is worn out if i wet my hands and the grip is still slippery (a little water helps clean the hands a bit from the dust and also the grip)

Virgilio
09-23-2006, 02:38 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but it seems that you change grip:

1) Depending on your level;
2) Depending on how much you have as reserves;
3) How picky you are.

I asked because I now have a good reserve of overgrips, but though the grip is starting to get slippery, I find it a pity to change it since it's not very worn out yet. On 1 of the racquets I just put some gauze on and play it that way.
The problem is that I am using Dunlop Hydramax and they just last soooooo long (I don't play too often, though, just like once a week). So the grip doesn't wear out, is still comfortable, but loses some tackiness (though I don't think the grip was too tacky neither when new).

slice bh compliment
09-23-2006, 03:42 AM
.... I hit the ball so hard that I really need to be able to maintain a tight grip on my racquet so I need the tackiness....

Know just what you mean, brother. I have the same problem. I hit the ball so hard that:

1] I change frames every 7 or 9 games.
2] my opponent needs to change his underwear every 7 or 9 games.
3] the balls break every 7 to 9 games anyway.
4] There is always a big crowd watching my matches and my practices, so I feel like I have to go through the very popular shirt-change, grip-change ritual every few changeovers.

Well, enough about me [hee hee], what do YOU guys think of how hard I hit the ball?

Jamauss, I'm just messin' with you. The "I hit the ball so hard" thing just had me laughing, that's all. A guy on my college team said that once to a chick at a party and we never let him forget it.

I'm a 30 pack Yonex guy myself, and I play 5 to 7 hours a week almost all year 'round. I rotate three sticks and I get 3 or 4 weeks out of my overgrips. I like 'em thin and tacky, just like my women. [kidding]

Nextman916
09-23-2006, 09:06 AM
I rotate through Yonex Supergrap, Tourna XL, and PK superwrap. I replace the Yonex and the PK after about 6 hours of play(PK keeps tack a little longer). Tourna lasts me about 3 or 4 depending on how much i sweat. I usually throw a tourna on for match play, because it feels so dam good. I recently just bought some laserfibre tournafit? I think thats what its called, looked good so im gonna try it.

jamauss
09-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Know just what you mean, brother. I have the same problem. I hit the ball so hard that:

1] I change frames every 7 or 9 games.
2] my opponent needs to change his underwear every 7 or 9 games.
3] the balls break every 7 to 9 games anyway.
4] There is always a big crowd watching my matches and my practices, so I feel like I have to go through the very popular shirt-change, grip-change ritual every few changeovers.

Well, enough about me [hee hee], what do YOU guys think of how hard I hit the ball?

Jamauss, I'm just messin' with you. The "I hit the ball so hard" thing just had me laughing, that's all. A guy on my college team said that once to a chick at a party and we never let him forget it.

I'm a 30 pack Yonex guy myself, and I play 5 to 7 hours a week almost all year 'round. I rotate three sticks and I get 3 or 4 weeks out of my overgrips. I like 'em thin and tacky, just like my women. [kidding]

HAHAHA - the thin & tacky joke - NICE! (Had me laughing).

It's actually not "how hard" I hit the ball now that I think about it - it has more to do (I think) with how fast I swing and how much wrist I use - and the fact that I don't like to "white knuckle" grip my racquet.

Funny (true) story - last night I was playing and the racquet slipped out of my hand. It flew about 30 feet, over the fence, into a sand volleyball court where some people were playing. Needless to say they gave me a strange look...

migjam
09-24-2006, 07:38 PM
I use white overgrip and usually change when it gets somewhat dirty.

Nuke
09-25-2006, 04:34 AM
Two matches for Tournagrip.

StealthGnome
10-02-2006, 08:09 PM
I change overgrips about every month. I don't play much. Only during the weekends.

plarazza
10-07-2006, 11:55 PM
I use Wilson Pro Overgrips in white colour. I go through them like there is no tomoro I am usually changing them about every 2nd time i play

aznspongehead
10-08-2006, 07:38 PM
Well I'm not too rich, plus I'm not too good of a player, so I stay with one over grip for about 2 weeks. That might seem like a pretty short amount of time but I play up to 10 hours a week and my hands sweat a lot, these grips get really nasty after that.

WhiteSox05CA
10-10-2006, 04:32 PM
I just change it when I feel it's lost it's use in supplying a better grip. Too long and it can affect your game. It always feels good to have a new grip on too.
________
Park Royal 2 Condo Prathumnak (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

Robbie_1988
10-10-2006, 09:03 PM
I change my Wilson Pro overgrip when it becomes too slippery. It usually takes 3 weeks for it to get to that point and I play twice a week currently.

And if I don't change it, my racket will become like 007's Oddjob's hat and people get decapitated left, right and centre.

ajspurs
10-11-2006, 04:27 AM
I hit the ball so hard that I really need to be able to maintain a tight grip on my racquet so I need the tackiness.

I actually honestly know what you mean, i dont hit the ball tremendously hard, but to hit it hard i need to hold my racket really tight, its strange how much it improves your performance by just changing ur grip, I use wilson pro overgrip(white) and stop using it when the grip has gone slightly grey, usually after 2 weeks.

xkcwlx
10-14-2006, 10:03 PM
I'm kind of having the same problem with this too.

I just started playing tennis about 3 months back and I just started trying to use an overgrip while playing last night. I felt the feel of the racquet was alot better but after just that one 2h game, I had my white Wilson overgrip all grey looking. It looks really bad now. I think its got alot to do with my sweaty palms. And so now I'm not sure if I should change my overgrip before I play tomorrow because it looks so worn but I'm not sure if I can afford to switch through overgrips so quickly seeing as how I'm not even that great a player.

Or maybe I should just use non-white overgrips so they won't get dirty so quick?

By the way the overgrip is still a little tacky now.

whodey
10-15-2006, 08:44 AM
I use wilson pro overgrips and i go through about 2 in an average month.

joeyscl
10-29-2006, 09:58 AM
Change as frequently as you like/can afford to :D

pNoyr3D
10-29-2006, 10:03 AM
I have been using my tourna grip for over half a month and haven't changed it yet, I will probably change it next month but I will have to buy more, got 1 left :(

Dashbarr
10-29-2006, 10:22 AM
i play, on average, 5-6 days a week, and i end up using 3 tournas at least. however, i think that if you dont stretch it or shred it too much, you can get a set in with it reversed.

mhstennis100
10-29-2006, 02:25 PM
I left a wilson pro overgrip on my racket for almost 2 months playing every day. Needless to say it was past light grey, nearing black. This was a few months back but if I remember correctly, I still felt decent and it was just starting to rip at the very bottom. I switched to tourna and I feel like I'm replacing it every few days. Does anyone have any information on the Prince No Sweat grips and the Yonex Supergrap?

slice bh compliment
10-29-2006, 04:20 PM
...Does anyone have any information on the Prince No Sweat grips and the Yonex Supergrap?

Don't know much about the Prince grips, but I know this much: it is tough to tell the difference between Yonex Supergrap and Wilson Pro Overgrip (at least in white).

Rafa's best friend
10-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Wilson proovergrip, change every 5 games.

jjk20
10-29-2006, 05:37 PM
am I the only one that uses Klipper grips? :?

bcsax123
10-29-2006, 06:29 PM
The Wilson Pro is a nice grip. The tackyness doesn't last very long, but it has a grippy rubbery feel to it. When that's worn, you can replace it and get a nice dry feeling overgrip.

Swissv2
10-29-2006, 06:36 PM
Change your overgrips when you feel like it.

psamp14
10-29-2006, 07:46 PM
Do you change your overgrip when it is completely wear out or just when it gets a little slippery or just when it gets dirty?

i change it when it gets moderately slippery...i have a one handed backhand, so my right hand covers any dirty part of the grip

Byakuya
10-30-2006, 01:28 PM
Two matches for Tournagrip.

pretty much the same with me... Love Tournagrip.. but it falls apart so fast :(

s_andrean
11-06-2006, 02:17 PM
pretty much the same with me... Love Tournagrip.. but it falls apart so fast :(

I also like the feel of Tournagrip... but cos i hold my racquet a bit too tightly, they sometime only last me like 20 mins before they start to tear :(

I dunno what to do..

My Supergraps dnt last long either, neither do the Wilson pro's.

Plain leather i wear out too (though it takes a bit longer, and i don't like the feel so much)

help!

aroddick
11-07-2006, 12:04 PM
SLIPPERY as simple as that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mucat
11-09-2006, 01:42 PM
When you try to overhead smash the freaking ball and the racket flied out of your hand!! :mad: cheap ******* mucat!! you should change the grip earlier!! :cry:

movdqa
11-09-2006, 06:36 PM
When the bacteria count gets too high.