PDA

View Full Version : Most durable gut, Ever.

goblake14
09-23-2006, 05:07 AM
So, I was fishing around in my garage yesterday and I found my mom's old Billie Jean King Autograph woodie. It hasn't been used for 30 years and it has been sitting in a damp garage for 15 of them. And guess what, there is gut strung on the racquet from 30 years ago and it's not broken. Totally amazing. Has anyone else seen gut last this long?

looseswing
09-23-2006, 05:37 AM
Would you expect the string to just snap suddenly because it was sitting in your garage?

goblake14
09-23-2006, 06:14 AM
If it's true that mositure and temperature changes can cause gut to snap, I would certainly have expected it to pop after all that time.

Keifers
09-23-2006, 06:16 AM
That is quite a long time. The dampness may have helped preserve the gut, i.e., prevented it from drying out and breaking. Probably didn't do much for its playability, however. Did you try hitting with it?

NoBadMojo
09-23-2006, 06:39 AM
I do a wood exhibition match every year or so and we use wooden frames last string back in the 80's and they hit remarkably well for their age. They are strung with VS and Victor Imperial. Tubed and power padded in the throat. They have been kept in a spare bedroom. I dont recommend storing gut in damp humid conditions.

goblake14
09-23-2006, 06:50 AM
Have not had the chance to play with it yet because of the rain in New York, but the strings feels quite tight. It's a tad warped...I wonder if that matters or not. I'd like to restring it but I don't want to chance breaking it. I weighed it and it was around 12.2 ounces. My prestige measured in at 12.5, so I'd liek to see how it compares. It feels really solid and I get the feeling my slice backhand would be nearly unstoppable with it.

jackson vile
09-23-2006, 11:36 AM
That is quite a long time. The dampness may have helped preserve the gut, i.e., prevented it from drying out and breaking. Probably didn't do much for its playability, however. Did you try hitting with it?

Very good points, the key with gut is that you don't want too much moister or not enough.

I have seen multies last 7 years in a racket and still play great, and that was on an OS racket as well.

PBODY99
09-23-2006, 12:51 PM
I have a set of VV in a Yamaha YFG 70 from 1979 that still hits ok. I found a TAD Imperial with gut and it is still in great shape. Granted, I don't try to do to much with either.

VV was a gut that used to be around, that is not a typo.