PDA

View Full Version : Heat Sickness during match

YEMntFtb
08-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Today and once before I faced sickness during a match. At first I thought it was just nervousness, but then came head aches, and the feeling of wanting to throw up everytime I ran. This took all my energy away, and eventually I just could not play a complete point.

During this time I was drinking lots of water, maybe 3 bottles, and I had eaten a sandwich before the match.

I consider myself to be in good shape, and it was weird being tired from the first point to the last, so tired I wanted to fall asleep or pass out.

It was 90 out, could this be heat sickness, how do I prevent this??

sanitarium
08-02-2004, 01:06 PM
That sounds disturbingly familiar... it happened to be once before in my life, and I work outdoors everyday in the heat so it was very surprising, I thought it was food poisoning - but it's exactly what you said.

Before my match ( a huge tournament btw) I felt kind of a head-ache, I figured it'd go away and probably nervousness (this was roughly 3:30 after being up since 6:30 in the sun)

During the warmup my strokes were noticeably off, and I felt dizzy - I really though this was some sort of sick prematch nerves or something. So after the racquet spin I start serving, during the first point ( a rally that went like 6 balls) when I ran to the corner to get the ball I felt a sudden urge to puke.. that was basically it then.

I just felt incredible sickness when I tried to run, and felt dizzy/nausea for roughly the next day. Felt somewhat better the next morning.

I have no idea what brings it on or treatment, I finished the match (6-1 6-0 loss), went straight to the hotel lid down for 2 hours, lots of water / cold face cloth....

YEMntFtb
08-02-2004, 03:03 PM
that sounds a lot like what happened to me today, maybe it was the food I ate, who knows?

I drank a lot of water, but maybe I didnt hydrate enough before hand??

I work also for 4-5 hours in the summer outdoors, and so I thought I would be used to the heat, but I guess its just one of those weird things, cause in my last tournament I played an outdoor match at the same time, at the same food and felt nothing.

Sampras had trouble with the heat, maybe its something similar, it just drains you very quickly and you cant even beat kids you'd normally stomp on in the conditions which are brought down on you by this heat stroke nonsense.

bookem
08-02-2004, 11:43 PM
From my experience out here near the equator...

1. Heat isn't the only factor, humidity is too. High humidity exacerbates temperature. If I remember correctly, humidity is a component in the 'heat index' that most weather reports cite when mentioning summer temperatures.

2. Hydration should begin a day or two before play. While drinking during the match helps, you should build up approximately 48 hours prior. A commonly held notion is that if your urine is clear, you're adequately hydrated.

Once heat stroke/illness sets in, I've found it best to immediately cool down by putting a wet towel on my head with some additional cooling with a wet towel pressed against my neck (carotid). As any snow skier will tell you, most body heat is lost through the head; the reverse is true.

To help prepare for playing in the heat (in addition to the above-mentioned hydration), I also drink Gatorade the day of the match and bring Pedialyte (or similar product) in the event of cramps or the beginning signs of heat stroke. The Pedialyte helps with the hydration and electrolyte restoration.

Hope this helps... BTW, hope you're wearing a hat too...

Lee James
08-09-2004, 03:41 PM
Last month I had an incident of being heat sick. I started cramping and ended up dizzy and then passed out. It was kinda scary but I learned a big lesson out of it on taking care of my body. First and foremost you have to make sure you drink plenty of water beforehand like the day before and then morning before you have to play. Once in a match it's a good idea to have plenty of sports drinks like powerade which not only replace liquids but put back electrolytes that are lost in sweat. Also on changeovers try having an umbrella or something to give you shade as well as a cooler of ice water and a wash cloth to dip into it and wrap it around your neck and or head. But whats helped me the most is drinking lots of pedialyte on changeovers. That stuff is amazing. It rapidly replaces fluids and electrolytes. I strongly suggest keeping a bottle of it in your bag.

kevhen
09-02-2004, 12:54 PM
Watch what you eat especially on hot days. You could be experiencing sugar lows especially if you are drinking all that water too. Did you drink any sports drink to bring your sugar level back up? Don't eat sugary food before play. It could just be heat stroke. I hate that feeling. Drinks lots of cold water and get out of the heat as soon as possible. I usually start cold sweating when I heat stroke and the legs don't move too well then either.

buddha
10-03-2004, 08:10 AM
Watch what you eat especially on hot days. You could be experiencing sugar lows especially if you are drinking all that water too. Did you drink any sports drink to bring your sugar level back up? Don't eat sugary food before play. It could just be heat stroke. I hate that feeling. Drinks lots of cold water and get out of the heat as soon as possible. I usually start cold sweating when I heat stroke and the legs don't move too well then either.

i have no stock in this company. WISH i did. this stuff is THE BOMB.

http://www.gookinaid.com/