PDA

View Full Version : How much tension can a string lose?

Frenchie
09-23-2006, 01:22 PM
I am 16 and I got my Aeropro Drive strung last July with Wilson Sensation at 58lbs. I then went to a week long camp where I played 5 hours a day, for five days. Since August, I have played 2 hours per week. Just today when I played two sets, the raquet felt amazing. My groundies were much better but my topspin second serves ended up having the same trajectory as forehand lob, which it to say, they flew much higher than normal and landed a foot long. My question is: Can this change of feel be attributed to the aging strings losing tension? And: How much tension might they have lost? I want to get my racquets strung at the appropriate lowered tension that I felt today.

buder
09-23-2006, 06:06 PM
I am 16 and I got my Aeropro Drive strung last July with Wilson Sensation at 58lbs. I then went to a week long camp where I played 5 hours a day, for five days. Since August, I have played 2 hours per week. Just today when I played two sets, the raquet felt amazing. My groundies were much better but my topspin second serves ended up having the same trajectory as forehand lob, which it to say, they flew much higher than normal and landed a foot long. My question is: Can this change of feel be attributed to the aging strings losing tension? And: How much tension might they have lost? I want to get my racquets strung at the appropriate lowered tension that I felt today.

Yes!!!! You see the light! Most people don't get it. After 2 weeks of hitting, most stringbeds are in the 40's and 30's. I'll say it again: most people hit the majority of their balls with a stringbed tension in the 40's.

Welcome to the Church of Dwelltime and Topspin. My Rd7 is strung with 15L Kevlar (mains and crosses) at 42. I can feel the ball being sucked in, gripped and rotated. I feel like I'm playing with a lacrosse stick and my control is not of this world. Welcome to the club!

hallelujah!!!!!!

thebosher
09-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Initially a string loses about a pund right off the bat then of you are playing at 60 you are probaly down to 50 to 52 by that time. You should try to string then at like 53-55.

hgb765
09-25-2006, 11:55 AM
i had the exact same quesiton about string tension.. so if i got my racquet like a month ago and it was strung at 58, it would be down to 40s by now?

(haha and btw frenchie is a cute name)

AlpineCadet
09-26-2006, 11:49 PM
I actually tried the Wilson Enduro Tour 16 @ 63lbs in my POG OS and a few weeks later it felt like it was sub-60lbs. I'm not sure how extreme the tension loss was, but there was a definite gain in power and sweetspot size.

Cruzer
09-27-2006, 12:18 PM
The USRSA recently published its 2006 String Selector Map which has stiffness and tension loss data on a wide range of strings from gut to kevlar. Tension loss by their test procedure ranged from about 6.4 pounds for a gut string to 28.4 pounds for a kevlar string. So whatever tension you had your racquet was originally strung at it will defintely be something less than that after even 24 hours.