PDA

View Full Version : Snapping Sensations!

The Dampener
09-23-2006, 05:27 PM
Hi all,

I've had three Wilson Sensation string jobs, in different frames, all break after a very short period of hitting. And, get this, each broke two mains either above or below the crosses.

I've read of Sensations having problems near the grommets.

Is it me? Or is it the Sensations? Can anyone shed a little light on the subject.

Thanks much.

John

bluedevilinnj
09-23-2006, 06:05 PM
sensation breaks very easily, now i just use it as a cross in a hybrid

Davai
09-23-2006, 06:19 PM
I can't say for sure but I thought that Wilson redisgned the string. As far as breaking near the grommets you can try some leather pads. There is also a small chance that the string is being crushed excessively - but that's unlikely.

Valjean
09-23-2006, 07:39 PM
What were you used to? How frequently did you break that one? Who put you on to Sensation, and for what reason? Sounds like you were badly advised.

mctennis
09-24-2006, 08:39 AM
Sounds like it is time for different strings to me. It makes a stringing job way expensive if you have to keep re-stringing them so often.

The Dampener
09-24-2006, 11:33 AM
sensation breaks very easily, now i just use it as a cross in a hybrid

I'd always used multis for their arm-friendliness. Now I might rethink that approach and take your advice.

There is also a small chance that the string is being crushed excessively - but that's unlikely.

Crushed excessively? I'm not sure what you mean. Typically, I've broken strings at the intersection of crosses and mains. They wear out and finally break. But these breaks above and below the crosses have me perplexed.

What were you used to? How frequently did you break that one? Who put you on to Sensation, and for what reason?

Good questions. I've always used Sensation. At first, by recommendation (they were suitable choice for my control-oriented n6.1). And, now, because they are multis (which are nice to my Golfer's Elbow). But until recently, my string jobs have lasted me months, not days.

Sounds like you were badly advised.

Yeah? Tell me why?

Sounds like it is time for different strings to me. It makes a stringing job way expensive if you have to keep re-stringing them so often.

You're telling me...That's why I put out the SOS. I'm now considering new strings. I'm also considering a hybrid string job. But I need to stay with soft strings due to my arm.

So, with that boatload of info, I'll ask the following questions...

Can any of you relate similar experiences with Sensation? I'd like to go back to my stringer and claim it's the strings, and not the player.

And can anyone recommend a Multifilament string that might offer more durability (and, yes , I know that's a bit of a paradoxical question)?

Thank you all very much for the help. I appreciate your comments.

John

dancraig
09-24-2006, 12:18 PM
I think Sensation 17g. has a bad reputation for breaking. If you are using 17g., you might switch to 16g.
Most any string can break prematurely if you frame the ball on a hard hit. It's called a shear break, or shearing, because it simply shears off at the grommmet. It can happen to a brand new string job. It's not really anyone's fault.

snoflewis
09-24-2006, 12:25 PM
I think Sensation 17g. has a bad reputation for breaking. If you are using 17g., you might switch to 16g.
Most any string can break prematurely if you frame the ball on a hard hit. It's called a shear break, or shearing, because it simply shears off at the grommmet. It can happen to a brand new string job. It's not really anyone's fault.

even 16g breaks easily. a string can break from frequent hitting (thus wear from friction at the point of contact from the mains and crosses because the mains move around) OR it can break from a mishit or a bad grommet. when you hit the top of the stringbed or the bottom, the stringbed doesnt flex as much as it does as when you hit the center, and the string stretches where the grommets are, potentially breaking the string. this can happen to any type of string. i've done it on poly and yesterday, i broke gut like that in less than an hour... the string can also break if you have a bad grommet which has sharp edges where the string touches. imo, sensation is really that soft for a multi, and i'd suggest that you switch to a different string, such as tecnifibre nrg2 or one of the yonex multis.

lastly, what are you planning to hybrid w/? because a poly/multi hybrid won't help your golfer's elbow...

The Dampener
09-24-2006, 12:59 PM

I was using 17g. I'm not going to anymore. Swithching to 16g was my first thought. I might give that a try. I might also change brands (Sno made some recommentaions below).

Yeah, I figured as much. Seems to happen on returns of wicked serves. Damn. It is my fault.

...it can break from a mishit or a bad grommet...

What do you look for to see if a grommet has gone bad? A jagged edge? A bent grommet? Something else?

imo, sensation is really that soft for a multi, and i'd suggest that you switch to a different string, such as tecnifibre nrg2 or one of the yonex multis.

These two, I presume, are noted for their durability? What about Klip multis? They seem to come up often on these boards. I tried NXTs the last time. So far, they're holding. Am I asking for trouble with them?

lastly, what are you planning to hybrid w/? because a poly/multi hybrid won't help your golfer's elbow...

Oh, no. "Poly" is an evil word in my language. I'm open to suggestion. Does marrying a multi with a durable syn-gut make sense?

Thanks again.

J

snoflewis
09-24-2006, 03:39 PM
by bad grommet, i meant a jagged edge...sorry for the confusion

as for the two multi's that i recommended, they're not known for durability. there isnt one multifilament that i know of that is known for durability, they have very good reviews on these boards and i felt that they played softer than the sensations.

the syn gut/multi hybrid sounds like a good idea. the synthetic gut doesnt necessarily have to be known for durability, but as long as it isnt soft, you should get some good playability (look into some PSGD or OG micro).

LoveThisGame
09-24-2006, 04:24 PM
"Bad grommet" can also be a split in the barrel which exposes the sharp edge of the frame to the string.

andrew_b
09-24-2006, 04:52 PM
I used to break Sensation all the time. Switched to NXT Tour, a bit more pricey but haven't it break nearly as easily. In fact, I'm using the 18 guage now...

Play well,
Andrew

backcourt
09-25-2006, 07:59 AM
I recently broke a set of Sensation 17g after 10 or 12 rounds of tennis which is quick for me. There are a couple of firmer multi's in the same price range which are alot more durable: Wilson Reaction and Yonex 850 Pro spin. But if you want to stay with a somewhat softer multi, I would recomend the Yonex Tour Super 850 (not the spin version) which only comes in 16g. IMO it plays better and definitely lasts a lot longer, and moves around alot less than Sensation, at about the same cost.

southpaw
09-25-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm open to suggestion. Does marrying a multi with a durable syn-gut make sense?

For durability it makes sense, but watch the elbow. I've tried sensation with a number of polys and syn-guts, and while most play fine and are durable, none are as elbow friendly as a full sensation set.

I'd agree with what Andrew said, and recommend the NXT tour. Great on the arm and lasts a little bit longer than the sensation. Or, you could try my personal favorite which is a hybrid of the two - nxt tour mains, sensation crosses. It lowers the cost, and I like the way the hybrid plays better than a full job of either.

The Dampener
09-25-2006, 11:42 AM
So, for more durable multis, we've got a vote for...

NXT Tour
Wilson Reaction
Yonex 850 Pro spin
Yonex Tour Super 850

And for quality multis, a vote for....

Yonex
Technifibre NRG2

Anyone else have two cents they'd like to add to the pot?

Thanks.
J

andrew_b
09-25-2006, 12:25 PM
So, for more durable multis, we've got a vote for...

NXT Tour
Wilson Reaction
Yonex 850 Pro spin
Yonex Tour Super 850

And for quality multis, a vote for....

Yonex
Technifibre NRG2

Anyone else have two cents they'd like to add to the pot?

I'd say that NXT Tour is a quality multi as well. IMHO it plays better than regular Sensation or NXT.

play well,
Andrew

claycourtextraordinaire
10-18-2007, 06:37 PM
Reel of sensation 17- $79.99
time stringing PS tour 90 (55lbs) and 6 1 tour 90 (57lbs) - 1.5 hours
3 minutes total hitting time with new strings before they break- priceless??

both broke near a grommet, guess i experienced shearing (from above) but being from scotland I thought that was a sheep term. and can't see it happening twice in 30 seconds. I guess I need to watch the ball a little longer and hit the ball a little sweeter.?

I cannot see any reason why both racquets should pop after 10 or so hits. I'm putting it down to the string. Shame on wilson for selling string that breaks so easily; if I'd paid $20 at sports authority for 40' I would be pretty pieved (and a bit of a mug). Instead, I am just a little pieved that i bought a reel of this stuff and spent time stringing the racquets. Maybe I can use it for the crosses. Wilson shouldn't sell such inferior string.

Whatever happened to sensation nxt?

Has anyone had a good experience with sensation?

Think it's worth a letter to wilson in hope of some free decent string?

James

shojun25
10-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Broke two sets of sensation both at the top mains. Only played with it for 15 minutes...

A ridiculous string.

claycourtextraordinaire
10-18-2007, 07:22 PM
dude, welcome to my club! I've got you beat though, 30 seconds/racquetx2. Neither were the cleanest of hits, but it's rediculous that the string broke. was it from a reel? been reading various reviews of it just now and it's pretty mixed.

shojun25
10-18-2007, 07:24 PM
no, they were 2 sets of packaged strings that my mom's friend gave me.

Valjean
10-18-2007, 08:30 PM
I would switch to NXT Max if I were you; it's meant for frequent players and is more durable than NXT Tour.

LPShanet
10-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Hi all,

I've had three Wilson Sensation string jobs, in different frames, all break after a very short period of hitting. And, get this, each broke two mains either above or below the crosses.

I've read of Sensations having problems near the grommets.

Is it me? Or is it the Sensations? Can anyone shed a little light on the subject.

Thanks much.

John

Sensation is known to do that sometimes, but first you have to ask three questions:

1. What types of racquets are you using? (Some racquets are known to be tough on strings at certain spots).

2. What tension are you using? (Obviously, high tensions increase the chances of breakage.)

3. Most importantly, who is doing your stringing? (There are many lousy stringers out there, and they often makes mistakes, nick or burn strings, produce uneven tension, etc.) If you're going to big box sporting goods stores for your stringing, you might consider finding a more skilled stringer. Try to find a USRSA Master Racquet Technician or Certified Stringer.

All that aside, you shouldn't be breaking strings in that spot so often, and I'd have to assume that the strings are probably getting damaged, assuming that the answers to the questions are the right ones...