PDA

View Full Version : PS 85: What strings /tension do you use?

onehandbh
09-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Curious what other PS 85 owners' string setups are:
1) strings? hybrid? tension?
2) playing style?

I used to string mine at about 65-69 lbs with 16g gosen micro.
Now use hybrid of:
mains: 58 lbs. 17g gosen poly comfort
cross: 60 lbs. 16g gosen sheep micro

Play all court game.

AngeloDS
09-24-2006, 10:54 PM
I play mostly a tactical baseline game in singles (I can play all-court, but 70% of my game is at the baseline and not at the net) and serve & volley for doubles (I mostly play doubles).

I use Topspin Cyberflash strung at 54 or 56 lbs and it's strung in a special method that makes it more consistent across the string bed and keeps the tension better/longer.

I'm going to be using a hybrid soon; when I get the chance going to have DireDesire string mine up with Titan Gut (he said it's pretty good) and Topspin Cyberflash.

Keifers
09-25-2006, 12:36 AM
I hit with a friend's 85 with NXT 17 @ 56 on Saturday. Very nice feel, crisp and comfortable at the same time, with a distinct pocketing sensation. Could really feel the ball on the strings.

In my own, I have Reaction 17 @ 56 and don't like it. Less lively in feel than I like, although the control and tension hold are excellent.

All court game.

Swissv2
09-25-2006, 12:49 AM
Currently using two different kinds of string setups for my 2 PS 6.0 85 racquets (which I play with - not collect)

1st racquet
Kirshbaum - full racquet. Feels good when the tension holds. Feels not so great when the tension goes away.

2nd racquet
Hybrid - Ashaway Poly in the mains, Prince Synthetic gut on the crosses. So far, it feels great. I am a very hard hitter but the ball stays in, which is exactly what I want.

Recently purchased the Tecnifibre X-One Biphase 16 String - so see how that goes

vkartikv
09-25-2006, 09:41 AM
Currently using pacific force 18 strings @ 62-65 lbs on my prostaff midsize. Flat, hard strokes with very little topspin. The strings give me great feel and comfort. Very nice response and no arm pain. PSGD 17 gold @ 65 is my alternative.

TennsDog
09-25-2006, 08:23 PM
Iso-Speed Control crossed with anything cheap and relatively soft @ about 58lbs.

I prefer to play an all-court game.

morten
09-26-2006, 04:47 AM
tecnifibre tgv 140 at 50 pounds, i also like the tr3(trc) string. I love the low tension on this frame. "Edberg"like strokes 5.5 tournament player.

Radical Shot
09-27-2006, 02:48 PM
Full SPPP 18g @ 54lbs

or, get this...

Wilson Enduro 15 mains @54lbs and Wilson Synthetic gut crosses at 54lbs.

thevillageidiot
09-27-2006, 03:06 PM
right now i have gosen og micro 17 strung two piece with mains at 52 and in crosses at 54. my other one is strung one piece at 55 with wilson stamina 16.

lucknowrocks
09-27-2006, 03:58 PM
luxilon big banger alu rough @ 64

tnkGod4tns
09-28-2006, 09:00 AM
for classic rackets like the 6.0, I find that gut really works out good, I have my set up with babolat tonic 16g at 55 lbs.

jackson vile
09-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Yea any string is going to be fine, just depends on you.

I play all court and lots O spin so I prefer loser tension and softer string.

Most flatish hitters will prefer a higher tension and/or stiffer string.

IMO you want a high powered soft string in mains and a low powered stiff or soft string in the crosses that is solid core.

Keifers
09-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Anyone tried a nat gut hybrid in their 85 (gut in the mains)?

jackson vile
09-28-2006, 11:39 AM

I want to try this with either a multi or a powerful tenison holding solid core in the mains.

When I had the gut in this time while it still had it's slick coating I had better spin

The tonic+ 16g coating lasted a lot longer and was softer but was really heavy, so if you do use a gut I suggest armoupro or tonic from personal experience.

Also pacific gut has a gut just like armourpro

Keifers
09-28-2006, 04:04 PM
I want to try this with either a multi or a powerful tenison holding solid core in the mains.

When I had the gut in this time while it still had it's slick coating I had better spin

The tonic+ 16g coating lasted a lot longer and was softer but was really heavy, so if you do use a gut I suggest armoupro or tonic from personal experience.

Also pacific gut has a gut just like armourpro
Thanks, jackson.

Will report back when I've done a hybrid.

Radical Shot
09-28-2006, 04:13 PM

Yep. I tried the Federer setup. Klip Legend gut mains and Lux Alu in the crosses. Both at 54 lbs. It was a great setup that actually affected the balance / feel of the racquet due to the weight of the gut. I am used to really thin 18g poly strungs. Using a 16 gut I could notice the difference.

The gut really provided some power. So much so that I found that it actually changed my technique on the swing. I slowed down a bit and tried to let the racquet just go through the ball. Surprisingly it lasted a long time - much longer than I ever thought it would.

I'm going to try it again soon.

Keifers
09-28-2006, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the report. Yeah, gut can weigh noticeably more than some synthetics. Not a bad thing, though, to have the racquet just go through the ball. I sure am tempted to try the Fed setup.

Radical Shot
09-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Do it, you won't regret the experience at all. I am starting to think that the Pro Staff 6.0.85 responds best with at least 1 softer string in it, preferably gut, although I have had some good experiences lately with some sort of poly and even basic nylon as a cross. As long as the main string is of good quality and character, I think the cross is just there to temper it a bit - in my case all I am after is something to provide just a bit more power and softness / dwell time.

The topspin in the Fed setup was noticably improved.

Keifers
09-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. The improved topspin is certainly something I'd like to experience with the 85 (not complaining!...).

Did you find that with the Fed setup, the much quicker loss of tension in the poly crosses limited the life of the whole string job? Or does the poly not lose tension that fast because it's only in the crosses?

jackson vile
09-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Yep. I tried the Federer setup. Klip Legend gut mains and Lux Alu in the crosses. Both at 54 lbs. It was a great setup that actually affected the balance / feel of the racquet due to the weight of the gut. I am used to really thin 18g poly strungs. Using a 16 gut I could notice the difference.

The gut really provided some power. So much so that I found that it actually changed my technique on the swing. I slowed down a bit and tried to let the racquet just go through the ball. Surprisingly it lasted a long time - much longer than I ever thought it would.

I'm going to try it again soon.

How long did it last?

Radical Shot
09-28-2006, 08:23 PM
It lasted about 12 hours or so...about 5 or 6 hitting sessions I guess. Can't really remember. I actually ended up cutting it out. The gut was fraying pretty badly in the end, and it had lost tension to the point where the control was suffering. When this happens, no matter what the string, you gotta put them down...

It lasted a lot longer than I thought, and stayed fresh for the majority of the time. Just at the end when the tension dropped noticibly.

From what I could tell, the gut (the main string) lost the tension. The Luxilon Alu crosses were in very good shape - certainly no notching, and the tension seemed to be quite good.

I like to take a big swing at every ball, and always go for maximum topspin.

Keifers
09-28-2006, 09:56 PM
It lasted about 12 hours or so...about 5 or 6 hitting sessions I guess. Can't really remember. I actually ended up cutting it out. The gut was fraying pretty badly in the end, and it had lost tension to the point where the control was suffering. When this happens, no matter what the string, you gotta put them down...

It lasted a lot longer than I thought, and stayed fresh for the majority of the time. Just at the end when the tension dropped noticibly.

From what I could tell, the gut (the main string) lost the tension. The Luxilon Alu crosses were in very good shape - certainly no notching, and the tension seemed to be quite good.

Rad,
This is very informative. Many thanks.

morten
09-29-2006, 01:10 AM
[QUOTE=Radical Shot]"Yep. I tried the Federer setup. Klip Legend gut mains and Lux Alu in the crosses. Both at 54 lbs. It was a great setup that actually affected the balance / feel of the racquet due to the weight of the gut."

the weight could come from the luxilon, all my measures shows it is actually heavier then gut.

peter
09-29-2006, 01:58 AM
My main setup are:

Tyger Boron at 60lbs
Tyger Ultra-Titanium at 60lbs

artworks
09-29-2006, 03:18 AM
Yonex Super 850 pro spin @ 50-52 lbs.

jackson vile
09-29-2006, 08:50 AM

I am guessing that armourpro will last much longer and spossbily better effects as well.

IMO gut is not the end all be all in tension holding.

goosala
09-29-2006, 08:04 PM
I use Gosen OG Sheep Micro 18 gauge and string it at 52 lbs. I know it is a low tension but the 85 head is fairly small and is very, very sensitive to tension changes.