PDA

View Full Version : Question about Yonex RDS-001 MP

Tron
09-25-2006, 03:27 AM
Hi all, I am in a testing period with the RDS-001 MP, I strung it with Kirschbaum P2 1,225 mm (16L) @ 57/54 lbs., its weight with a leather grip is 352 gms. I usually play with a nSix-One 95 16x18 strung with the same string @ 56 lbs. and its weight with a leather grip is 365 gms.
The thing is that the RDS-001 MP has less power than the Six-One and I feel it mostly on serves. Is this possible?? or my stringer probably misunderstood the tensions I asked and the RDS is strung with different tension than I think.
I can't belive that the RDS feels much stiffer and has less power than the Six-One, there shouldn't be so much difference between these frames right? or I am crazy.
Before somebody asks "why to switch frames", I like very much the isometric thing.
I would appreciate your opinions.
Thanks!

BreakPoint
09-25-2006, 10:29 AM
I would give the RDS 001 Mid a try too as it weighs more than the MP so it should give you more plow-through power. However, the nSix-One 95 is a very powerful racquet and is more powerful than either RDS 001. The nSix-One 95 is also a great serving racquet which would be hard to match unless you went even heavier and smaller, like a PS 6.0 85. The Volkl DNX 10 Mid might also be worth a try for you.

counterpuncher
09-25-2006, 03:38 PM
To gain some service power I would suggest adding lead to the head of the Yonex to 3 & 9 or 10 & 2 to bring the swingweight up to somewhere near that of the Wilson, as in current form I think it would still be less than that of the Wilson.

Also apart from the stiffness the Yonex has a beam width of 18-21 mm while the Wilson has a constant beam of 22 mm, which would also be a factor although you would think that the larger head size would make up for it.

Tron
09-26-2006, 08:51 AM
Thanks both for your answers, I really thought that the RDS-001 should have about the same power than the Six-One but now I understand that even with a 98" head all the other factors make the difference.

I just have a couple more questions:
1) Isn't actually the Mid version a more exigent raquet to play with than the Mid Plus??
2) Would it be better to add lead tape to the Mid plus or to try the Mid version as BreakPoint says??

Thank you in advance!!

Go Tennis
09-26-2006, 01:30 PM
Forget the Mid, bro, forget it. Take off the leather grip (heavier). If you like Kirschbaum, choose the Competition 1,25mm. String with 51lbs. And, at last but not the least, hit the ball on the raise. Sweet Caroline.

counterpuncher
09-26-2006, 03:44 PM
As you already have the mid plus, I would try lead tape with this first. If it is still not to your satisfaction then by all means try out the mid.

dacrymn
09-26-2006, 05:01 PM
umm....breakpoint....you should stop non-stop telling people to get mids.... they're harder to hit with than you think FOR MOST PEOPLE.
________
roor bong (http://roorbongs.org)

puerta
09-27-2006, 06:54 AM
Tron
yo tambien soy de argentina , te queria preguntar, no te gusto la rds 001 mp?? xq?
yo me la estoy por comprar, estoy entre esa y la flexpoint prestige mp.

Tron
09-27-2006, 09:12 AM
Tron
yo tambien soy de argentina , te queria preguntar, no te gusto la rds 001 mp?? xq?
yo me la estoy por comprar, estoy entre esa y la flexpoint prestige mp.

Hi puerta, despite both being from Argentina you should write in english so everybody understands.

About the RDS-001 MP, actually it liked me a lot, I feel it is a very precise frame and I like very much how it feels when you hit the ball but, the problem is that it has less power than the nSix-One 95 16x18 which is my current frame and I can't serve with the RDS because I feel my shoulder is going to fall appart (I've been 15 days with an shoulder ache because of trying to serve with the RDS-001 MP).
Anyway, I like so much the RDS-001 MP that I don't want to resign my self to not be able to use it as my main frame. That's why I am going to try with some lead tape at 9 and 3 and lowering the tension to 55/52 lbs (currently 57/54)
I hope it helps, I know nothing about the Flexpoint Prestige.

puerta
09-27-2006, 07:56 PM
aah ok!

I demo six-one 95 16*18 and is very powerful racquet.
don't like a lot a 16*18 pattern, more open for me
but is good racquet
you feel the wilson more powerful, because is more powerful.
more open pattern, more weight, and 22 mm in Beam Width.