PDA

View Full Version : lead on the throat. Pros and cons

arifed
09-25-2006, 03:38 AM
Hi everybody,

I'd like to have your opinion about placing two stripes of lead tape on the throat of the racquet.

According to some previuos posts, this would make kind of a depolarized set up.

But more basically my question is: which pros and cons would this customization bring me?

Thanks a lot in advance.

movdqa
09-25-2006, 04:18 AM
I've never tried this but reports that I've read indicate that putting tape at 12 O'Clock moves the sweet spot up so my concern would be that putting it at 6 O'Clock would move it down which most consider undesirable. I've only put tape on the sides as I didn't want to move the sweet spot.

The nice thing about lead tape is that it's pretty easy to experiment with.

arifed
09-25-2006, 04:47 AM
I've never tried this but reports that I've read indicate that putting tape at 12 O'Clock moves the sweet spot up so my concern would be that putting it at 6 O'Clock would move it down which most consider undesirable. I've only put tape on the sides as I didn't want to move the sweet spot.

The nice thing about lead tape is that it's pretty easy to experiment with.

Thanks a lot movdqa for your opinion.

Actually, I used to do some experiment and even if it could sound strange, when customizing with lead on the throat I've never been able to cleary realize how good the set up was.

By the way, by "throat" I don't mean 6 o'clock position, I mean the two "arms" that join the handle to the racquet's head.

Take care

ShcMad
09-25-2006, 05:50 AM
Putting lead on the throat is a way to boost your static weight while keeping the swingweight relatively low. The overall weight of your racquet will increase, but the swingweight should not increase AS MUCH because the weight is not too far from where you hold the racquet (handle). However, the swingweight increase will affect you. For volleys especially, you will notice how much heavier it swings.

As far as spin goes, I have no idea. But, I noticed that the sweetspot got "pulled down" just a little bit.

arifed
09-25-2006, 06:35 AM
Putting lead on the throat is a way to boost your static weight while keeping the swingweight relatively low. The overall weight of your racquet will increase, but the swingweight should not increase AS MUCH because the weight is not too far from where you hold the racquet (handle). However, the swingweight increase will affect you. For volleys especially, you will notice how much heavier it swings.

As far as spin goes, I have no idea. But, I noticed that the sweetspot got "pulled down" just a little bit.

Very precise and detailed post. Thank you ShcMad.
What I can understand from your words is that as far as volleys are concerned, lead on the throat doesn't help at all because the higher swingweight reduces racquet's manuvrability.

A question raises: does lead on the throat increase the stifness of that area?

ShcMad
09-25-2006, 07:58 AM
Very precise and detailed post. Thank you ShcMad.
What I can understand from your words is that as far as volleys are concerned, lead on the throat doesn't help at all because the higher swingweight reduces racquet's manuvrability.

A question raises: does lead on the throat increase the stifness of that area?

You're very welcome. I'm no expert when it comes to racquet customization though. I'm just repeating the information that I read on various sources, and from what I found out from my own little experiments. But, I'm glad it helps.

Maneuverability (especially at the net) will decrease when you put lead on the throat, but not as much as if you were to put the same amount of lead at 12 o'clock. Weight at 12 o'clock increases swingweight dramatically while increasing little static weight. The further away you put the lead tape from the handle, the more swingweight points you will boost. Generally speaking, increasing swingweight decreases maneuverability.

The reason why people put weight on the racquet even though it decreases maneuverability is because the extra little bit of weight gives stability, control, and power in return. If you can maneuver heavy racquets, use them. The extra weight can help you control your shots and pack some extra punch behind your shots.

And, to answer your question: Putting lead tape anywhere won't decrease/increase stiffness. It may feel very different, but that doesn't mean the stiffness changed.

arifed
09-25-2006, 10:33 PM
Ok ShcMad, thank you very much.

MTChong
09-25-2006, 11:39 PM
Ok ShcMad, thank you very much.

Yes, stiffness is an inherently property to a racquet; it cannot be changed because it is a result of the construction. However, the addition of lead can give the perception of more or less flex because the different concentrations of mass will result in less deflection from the ball.

armand
12-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Putting weight in the throat is, IMO, the best modification you can do to enhance your racquet. The racquet becomes much more solid even from a little bit of weight added and the controllable power you get is great.

I put 2 quarters under the top of the grip of my 001 and 2 nickels under the grip of my Ti-80(put the coins on the face sides of the racquets). The 001 is rock solid and comes very near the Pro Staff 85 in terms of how fun it is to play with. The 85 gets a slight edge because it's so fun to come to net with.

The Ti-80's always been a great all around racquet and now it's just better from the enhanced stability. The improvement isn't as great as the 001 got so I may exchange the nickels for quarters but I'm amazed at how much it did improve from just those 2 nickels.

I can't wait for tomorrow!

LuckyR
12-14-2006, 03:01 PM
Using throat lead will depolarize the stick and make it spin unfriendly. Not my cup of tea. Rather I would put the lead much higher in the hoop, say 12 o clock and counterbalance w/ lead in the butt to maintain the balancepoint you want (the original "reason" for throat weighting) and keep the stick polarized, for spin potential.

Ash Doyle
12-14-2006, 03:19 PM
Some of you guys put way too much stock in this "polarized"/"depolarized" thing that has caught on with certain people on these boards. You'll never hear the real stringers use these terms, and they also laugh at the ideas its based on.

If you want good advice, listen to Thomas Martinez, Jura, and a few others on these boards.

Redflea
12-14-2006, 03:36 PM
You should read this for some good general information on customizing your racquet...

http://www.tennis4all.com/info/racquets/customize.shtml

armand
12-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Using throat lead will depolarize the stick and make it spin unfriendly. Not my cup of tea. Rather I would put the lead much higher in the hoop, say 12 o clock and counterbalance w/ lead in the butt to maintain the balancepoint you want (the original "reason" for throat weighting) and keep the stick polarized, for spin potential.Since I put lead in the throat, I've been getting more spin because the added weight makes the racquet recoil less and so the ball stays on the strings much longer.

I shoulda been doing this years ago!

armand
12-14-2006, 04:04 PM
You should read this for some good general information on customizing your racquet...

http://www.tennis4all.com/info/racquets/customize.shtmlCan't agree with what is written there; I took out weight from the buttcap and put back less weight to the throat and the racquet is still more stable.
I know it's only a general info page...

Redflea
12-14-2006, 04:24 PM
Can't agree with what is written there; I took out weight from the buttcap and put back less weight to the throat and the racquet is still more stable.
I know it's only a general info page...

As you note it's general info and intended to give people a start, from there you have to try it and see...frames might react differently, and people have various subjective reactions to changes...

But ain't it fun tweaking? :D

armand
12-14-2006, 04:57 PM
As you note it's general info and intended to give people a start, from there you have to try it and see...frames might react differently, and people have various subjective reactions to changes... True statement!

And it is fun tinkering...until you get it wrong and you have to wait until you get home to change it and then wait until the next time you play to see what the results were and by that time you may have forgotten if it was better/worse than the last configuration or iteration #28 or god forbid, the original and then you'll be royally screwed and will probably have to go back to square one and buy another package of lead tape because that stuff sticks like glue on some frames and reusing isn't an option because by the time you rip it off it's in pieces and you curse yourself because lead tape packages aren't cheap and then you have to explain to the wife these ominous charges on the credit card statement and you can't really explain, all you can do is point to the tangled mess of lead tape pieces bundled together that you feel bad to throw out because you still feel it has potential and some other use *breathe*
and I could go on!