PDA

View Full Version : babolat and prokennex

cptobvious_619
09-25-2006, 06:08 AM
on the board, ppl say that babolat racquets are not very friendly, while prokennex (according to brand myths) are very arm-friendly, and are even called arm savers.

didn't ppl say that babolat just uses prokennex molds and pjs them to look like pure drives?

this is prolly just speculation...:-|

cghipp
09-25-2006, 06:59 AM
They may be the same mold without the shock-absorbing "kinetic" technology, perhaps. I use a PH Ki 5 and the technology definitely works, and it is not at all the same feel as hitting with the PD, PC or PS.

The Pusher Terminator
09-25-2006, 07:19 AM
on the board, ppl say that babolat racquets are not very friendly, while prokennex (according to brand myths) are very arm-friendly, and are even called arm savers.

didn't ppl say that babolat just uses prokennex molds and pjs them to look like pure drives?

this is prolly just speculation...:-|

Well the APD is definitely a different mold.

Even if the Babolats do come from the same mold (which I dont know)...the fact is that the PK do not have the woofer technology whic I absolutely LOVE!

finally, Babolat now uses cortex technology and is far more arm friendly than it was in the past.

FuriousYellow
09-25-2006, 08:01 AM
IIRC, it was the Ki 10 that uses the same mold as the PD.

EDIT: Here's the old thread discussing it.

LINK (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=68904&highlight=ki+10+mold+babolat)

HappyLefty
09-25-2006, 08:34 AM
At the beginning Babolat used a Prokennex mold to build its famous PD racquet. Ki10 is a improved version of this PD but with kinetic tech.
I was a PD user and changed to Ki10 because some elbow issues.
Results are great. More comfortable and more arm friendly.

FuriousYellow
09-25-2006, 08:41 AM
They may be the same mold without the shock-absorbing "kinetic" technology, perhaps. I use a PH Ki 5 and the technology definitely works, and it is not at all the same feel as hitting with the PD, PC or PS.

What type of strings/tension are you using in your Ki 5? I recall you writing you had shoulder/wrist issues with your last frame. I'm currently using a 5G and it's about time to restring. I bought it used with Gut/X-One in it but feels a little too mushy and it's way too expensive to restring it that way. I'm just looking for suggestions. I looked on the string board and there's a ton of different setups suggested for this frame.

BTW, your sig says your SC. I was kind of shocked to read they're having earthquakes. Hope you didn't get too "shaken up" by it. I'm from the other SC (So Cal) so I'm used to it.

ollinger
09-25-2006, 08:45 AM
These "same mold" threads baffle me. The PK 10 series of racquets have 17 mm. beams in the neck-throat area. How exactly do you do that with the same mold the PD comes out of? Used to hear the same nonsense about the Surge. Lots of racquets are similar, as you'd expect, but there are many cookie cutters around to make them.

cghipp
09-25-2006, 09:01 AM
What type of strings/tension are you using in your Ki 5? I recall you writing you had shoulder/wrist issues with your last frame. I'm currently using a 5G and it's about time to restring. I bought it used with Gut/X-One in it but feels a little too mushy and it's way too expensive to restring it that way. I'm just looking for suggestions. I looked on the string board and there's a ton of different setups suggested for this frame.

BTW, your sig says your SC. I was kind of shocked to read they're having earthquakes. Hope you didn't get too "shaken up" by it. I'm from the other SC (So Cal) so I'm used to it.Wow, good memory! I'm using Technifibre NRG2, 17g @ 60 lbs. I am absolutely loving this racquet and this setup. I played twice this weekend (maybe the fifth and sixth times since I got the racquets) and I am more comfortable each time. My arm and shoulder are dramatically improved by the combination of a slightly lighter racquet, less swingweight and less shock. Most importantly, I can still take a full swing and control the ball. I feel like it was made for me; I can't imagine wanting to demo another racquet.

We did have an earthquake here - the second one in a week. It was a 3.5; the previous one was a 3.6. I live in the center of the upstate (Rock Hill, just south of Charlotte, NC, where I work) and this one was a few counties east of me. I didn't notice anything. We have small earthquakes fairly frequently here, but I've never felt one. There are several major fault lines running through this area, but we haven't had a "big one" in about 125 years. That was a 7.3 (?) in Charleston.

Edited to say: I have thought about trying the X-1 Biphase but I never have. I have been using either the NRG/NRG2 or Head Intelligence strings for a while now, and I keep coming back to the NRG2. I recently bought a used racquet that had a hybrid gut set up (with OG Sheep Micro) and I liked it a lot, but I can't afford to keep that setup even if I did string my own racquets. I enjoyed playing with it, though - power and feel and comfort.

FuriousYellow
09-25-2006, 10:31 AM
Wow, good memory! I'm using Technifibre NRG2, 17g @ 60 lbs. I am absolutely loving this racquet and this setup. I played twice this weekend (maybe the fifth and sixth times since I got the racquets) and I am more comfortable each time. My arm and shoulder are dramatically improved by the combination of a slightly lighter racquet, less swingweight and less shock. Most importantly, I can still take a full swing and control the ball. I feel like it was made for me; I can't imagine wanting to demo another racquet.

Edited to say: I have thought about trying the X-1 Biphase but I never have. I have been using either the NRG/NRG2 or Head Intelligence strings for a while now, and I keep coming back to the NRG2. I recently bought a used racquet that had a hybrid gut set up (with OG Sheep Micro) and I liked it a lot, but I can't afford to keep that setup even if I did string my own racquets. I enjoyed playing with it, though - power and feel and comfort.

Thanks for the info about NRG2 cghipp. I'm done with X-1 Biphase. I've tried it about three times in different frames and have never understood why it's so highly rated. I'm ready to try something new.

I'm really liking my PK frame as well and have been very surprised by it. I always thought of PK frames as having a muted feeling due to the kinetic technology, but have found it to be a nice balance between comfort and feel. The 22mm beam along with the higher static weight gives it good stability and absorbs the impact from hard paced shots very nicely. I feel like I can do something against hard paced serves now instead of just sticking my racquet out there and blocking it back.

gotwheels
09-25-2006, 10:38 AM
I like the PK Ki5. I think it is an under rated all court frame. I have enjoyed the frame with a hybrid of TF X1 Bp 17/Prince SG w/D 17 (not a string breaker). My current favorite is a similar hybrid with Signum Pro Fiber High Tec EXP 17 as the multi. Slightly muted from the TF X1 Bp with great feel.

Just did a hybrid of Top Spin Cyber Flash and Signum Pro Ultra Power SF 1.28 - total rockship! I've got to go back adjust and de-power.

I, also, play a PK 5G and always look for some power. I am loving it currently with Top Spin Cyber Flash 1.25/Prince SG Original 17 for singles. I still have not fully adjusted to lobs and net touch, but great serves and groundstrokes.

The Pusher Terminator
09-25-2006, 11:02 AM
These "same mold" threads baffle me. The PK 10 series of racquets have 17 mm. beams in the neck-throat area. How exactly do you do that with the same mold the PD comes out of? Used to hear the same nonsense about the Surge. Lots of racquets are similar, as you'd expect, but there are many cookie cutters around to make them.

I guess that shuts everyone up. End of debate.