PDA

View Full Version : Babolat Tonic + vs Klip Legend

ashwincr
09-25-2006, 07:55 AM
I string my n 6.1 95 16x18 with Babolat Tonic+ 16g in the mains at 63lb and SPPP 17g at 61 in the crosses. I used to have ALU power rough in the crosses but recently switched to SPPP and loves the softer feel & higher tension retainability.
would like to hear opinions on how the Klip Legend 16g compares to the Tonic+

Keifers
09-25-2006, 08:16 AM
There are many here that like the Legend. The 2 sets I tried proved to be quite stiff playing, though. Not shooting these strings down -- just saying you may want to lower tension and not do a prestretch.

f2fanatic
09-25-2006, 08:59 AM
I'm waiting for my order from TW with some Klip legend 17 and SPPP 1.18 in it. I want to hybrid Klip mains and SPPP crosses. Will report when the order comes in.
I am presently using Gamma livewire XP 17 mains and SPPP crosses. Was fine for a few hours but not as much right now:rolleyes:

ashwincr
09-25-2006, 09:11 AM
Don't get me wrong, I like the tonic+, but i think it loses tension after about 12 hrs or so. natural gut is supposed to maintain tension a lot longer than that, and i was wondering if i could get the same feel and comfort and better tension maintenance without spending a lot more for the VS.

andrew_b
09-25-2006, 09:52 AM
ok, so I've been trying to decide on Klip Legend, Tonic+ (16g), and BDE. Any thoughts with BDE thrown in the mix as to the performance, tension retaining ability, etc?

play well,
Andrew

NoBadMojo
09-25-2006, 09:52 AM
I dont find the Legend stiff at all if strung at reasonable tension and the proper gentle prestretch is done..it's crisp (crisper than the VS), but it plays very deep in the pocket.
Suggest your problem with the tension maintenance stems from your SPPP cross strings..those will lose the tension must faster than the gut. I dont recommend gut/poly hybrids for this very same reason unless someone is a pro and can afford to restring after only a very few hours.

BigServer1
09-25-2006, 09:56 AM
ok, so I've been trying to decide on Klip Legend, Tonic+ (16g), and BDE. Any thoughts with BDE thrown in the mix as to the performance, tension retaining ability, etc?

play well,
Andrew

I'm playing BDE crosses with Bab Pro Hurricane tour mains. I like the BDE, and when I restring, I am going to use the BDE in the mains. I think that will give me a better idea of how it plays. But the tension (of the gut) is still rock solid after a couple of weeks, and they really soften up the string bed. For the money so far I think it's on par with anything else at the same cost ($26 a set).

NoBadMojo
09-25-2006, 10:40 AM
BDE Perf is a very nice string as well..a little softer than the Klip and a bit more springy. There have been supply issues witht his string as BDE no longer has a US Distributor (last I heard)

andrew_b
09-25-2006, 11:30 AM
So, not to hijack the thread or anything ;)

What would you guys choose for a full gut set to go in a Babolat PC+, currently being played with NXT Tour 18 @58 pounds, for a baseliner-oriented player with a big serve? I don't break strings often...and string my own frame.

I'm picking between:
- BDE Perf 16 or 17
- babolat Tonic+ 16
- Klip Legend 16 or 17

play well,
Andrew

ashwincr
10-15-2006, 07:52 AM
I usually string tonic + at 60 or 61 in the mains. I ordered a redondo mid from TW with a full Legend 16 at 61 lbs. I played a set with it, and like some suggested, the feel was extremely stiff and I started getting slight arm pain after the first set... arm pain with a redondo!!! I usually have my rackets strung on a crank machine and TW probably has a constant pull machine which results in a stiffer string bed, but the tonic+ even at 63 has never given me any trouble.
do you guys think that stringing up the legend a couple of lbs lower or even hybriding it with a softer multi in the crosses would soften up the feel?

jackson vile
10-15-2006, 08:17 AM
I have played both,

Tonic heavier thicker coating thus the coating last longer, and the string is softer, string is very heavy

Legend more crisp ie no gum feeling or trampoline feeling, lighter, thiner coating

Both but went crap in 6 weeks time, just all of a sudden it feel like crap, strings start to move, ect

ashwincr
10-18-2006, 05:46 AM
I take back what I said about the legend. I hit with it a second time yesterday and that was the most responsive strings I have ever hit with! felt great, extremely crisp and lively. I loved the feel of the string bid with a complete legend, but it is a little expensive. I am going to try hybriding it with cheaper optiotns in the cross, and right now am thinking about
Excellerator, Venom and Gosen Sheep Micro...
should I string the crosses a little tighter than the Legend mains with any of these three?

bagung
10-18-2006, 03:46 PM
i always use n gut main/ venom cross, n gut from tonic, bde pref, legend. legend is crisp, tonic is trampoline, bde pref is in between.... talking about stiff and crisp, try klip amourpro, it last longer than other n gut.....

jackson vile
10-18-2006, 04:39 PM
i always use n gut main/ venom cross, n gut from tonic, bde pref, legend. legend is crisp, tonic is trampoline, bde pref is in between.... talking about stiff and crisp, try klip amourpro, it last longer than other n gut.....

Can you tell us anything else about armourpro? Is is better for open patterns, how was the spin, tension holding ect?

bagung
10-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Can you tell us anything else about armourpro? Is is better for open patterns, how was the spin, tension holding ect?
tried armourpro in dnx9 with 16x19, and dnx8 16x8 patterns, both with vernom cross. armourpro plays very stiff, more like poly more than n gut if you compare to vs, that is why better to reduce 2-3lbs lower than you normal strung... durability wise is super excellent, i always break the cross since using armourpro. to me it produce more spin compare to other "softer feel" n gut such as bde, tonic, vs.. holding tensions is another "plus" point of armourpro.. i have just order another 6 sets of it, and would like to put full armourpro instead of hybrid...

Steve Huff
10-18-2006, 09:32 PM
Like NBMJ said, the BDE has a softer feel, and the Klip Legend has a crisp feel. I really like the sound the ball makes on the Klip also.

jackson vile
10-19-2006, 09:29 AM
tried armourpro in dnx9 with 16x19, and dnx8 16x8 patterns, both with vernom cross. armourpro plays very stiff, more like poly more than n gut if you compare to vs, that is why better to reduce 2-3lbs lower than you normal strung... durability wise is super excellent, i always break the cross since using armourpro. to me it produce more spin compare to other "softer feel" n gut such as bde, tonic, vs.. holding tensions is another "plus" point of armourpro.. i have just order another 6 sets of it, and would like to put full armourpro instead of hybrid...

Keep us updated if you could, also could you try a slick poly ie lux or prokennex iq in the crosses? Also I woudl like to see armourpro crosses and VS or tonic mains.

bagung
10-19-2006, 11:02 AM
Keep us updated if you could, also could you try a slick poly ie lux or prokennex iq in the crosses? Also I woudl like to see armourpro crosses and VS or tonic mains.
my partner is a long time user of vs team main/lux bb alu power cross user , strung it at 52/55 lbs in his n6.1 tour 90. At first, he switched to armourpro from vs team at the same tension, and found out it is too stiff for his liking, then he reduced the armourpro to 50lbs. the armourpro is roughly twice the lifetime of vs team.

Steve Huff
10-19-2006, 11:58 AM
don't see how he could tell much difference with the much stiffer Lux strung higher than the mains anyway.

John Zheng
10-23-2006, 08:34 PM
I take back what I said about the legend. I hit with it a second time yesterday and that was the most responsive strings I have ever hit with! felt great, extremely crisp and lively. I loved the feel of the string bid with a complete legend, but it is a little expensive. I am going to try hybriding it with cheaper optiotns in the cross, and right now am thinking about
Excellerator, Venom and Gosen Sheep Micro...
should I string the crosses a little tighter than the Legend mains with any of these three?

I've tried the LaserFibre LaserTour as crosses with good results. It losses tension slower than most other strings, so does a good job of staying true with the gut.

jackson vile
10-24-2006, 07:57 AM
my partner is a long time user of vs team main/lux bb alu power cross user , strung it at 52/55 lbs in his n6.1 tour 90. At first, he switched to armourpro from vs team at the same tension, and found out it is too stiff for his liking, then he reduced the armourpro to 50lbs. the armourpro is roughly twice the lifetime of vs team.

Did he notice more or less spin?