PDA

View Full Version : Your suggestions for an 03 Tour setup...

adamvann
09-25-2006, 01:35 PM
I'm in need of some input on a string that is "arm-friendly" and will not move around alot in the 03 Tour. I did do a search but the consensus seemed to be poly strings and/or string at the high end of the tension range which I'd like to avoid. I know that because of the 03 ports and the open pattern I can't get way from it completely. The goal is to minimize it as much as possible.

Also, awhile back I came across a website by chance that had a small hand held tool you can use to straighten out your strings. I can't recall it now. Does anyone know where I might be able to get one? The only person I've ever even seen use one during match play was Safin and trhat was a long time ago. Thanks in advance.

adamvann
09-25-2006, 02:03 PM
I found the tool I was looking for. Please disregard the second paragraph of my post. Thanks!

abenguyen
09-25-2006, 03:06 PM
my friend uses prince topspin for mains and prince lightning for crosses feels pretty solid give it a try

Bottle Rocket
09-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Want to share a link for that tool? I am a little curious...

adamvann
09-25-2006, 06:51 PM
http://www.atssports.com/tennis.cfm?ProdID=262. Another poster also had the idea of cutting off the head of a Reach toothbrush and using that. He says you just stick in the strings and twist. I have an old one that I use to clean my tennis shoes, I'm gonna try that first.

snoflewis
09-25-2006, 10:19 PM
an arm friendly string that doesnt move around....kinda contradicts itself. an arm friendly string would be soft, and any soft string would move around. if you don't mind straightening out the strings, multis are very good to start with...maybe even a syn gut/multi job

adamvann
09-26-2006, 04:25 AM
I didn't consider that. I suppose I don't mind straightening the strings, which is why I inquired about the tool. I get tired of doing it by hand. My fingers can get a little raw. Having said that even among multis, isn't there some that may move less than others?

I have tried an all syn gut job, PSGD and it was still a little too harsh at this point. Would a hybrid of say OG Sheep Micro or Ektelon Power Play and BDE Performance Gut @ 54-55 lbs be as soft as any multi?

Thanks!

elee3
09-26-2006, 06:06 PM
When I first demoed my O3 tour, it was strung with Prince Sweet Perfection 16 at 56 lbs. I had trouble even noticing the ball hitting the racquet which threw me off and I like playing with a muted feel. Just this setup was ridiculously mute beyond belief for me. O3 tour w/ soft throat grommets + Prince Sweet Perfection 16 = can't really feel the ball at all. Maybe you can try that setup. Heard Prince Premier w/ softflex is even more comfortable then the Sweet Perfection too.

As for string movement, if you don't like it I think you chose the wrong racquet. The O-ports really make the strings move a lot. For me using the polys = even more string movement cause I would take bigger swings than with nylon type of strings.