PDA

View Full Version : Broken/cracked a racquet?

Tennis Man
09-25-2006, 03:21 PM
Have you or your friends broken/cracked a racquet? What model and how it happened?

Note: ONLY while playing tennis. If you GF/BF cracked it over your head OR you used it as a door lock, it doesn't count :)

drakulie
09-25-2006, 03:22 PM
I've cracked several. Mostly on serves. PS85

Zets147
09-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Overheads....2...precious..ncodes

Nar57981
09-25-2006, 03:25 PM
i broke a LM Radical practicing overheads, and an i.x6 because i was standing in someone's way ><

Tennis Man
09-25-2006, 03:25 PM
I've cracked several. Mostly on serves. PS85

So, I assume you cracked it open on the top and all the magic dust came out :)

Lleytian3
09-25-2006, 03:34 PM
well most people break it the safin way, which is me. i broke 2 of them which wasnt on this list. and a ncode surge.

people say i have to watch my temper, but i only cracked 3. i betcha safin broke at least 20;)

Tennis Man
09-25-2006, 04:00 PM
i betcha safin broke at least 20;)

I'm sure it's many more than 20 ... Well, I guess only Head knows exactly. Marat would not bother counting ..

TripleB
09-25-2006, 04:07 PM
Prince Triple Threat Warrior Midplus...backhand...mixed doubles.

TripleB

drakulie
09-25-2006, 04:53 PM
So, I assume you cracked it open on the top and all the magic dust came out :)

LOL. Actually most of them have cracked by the throat.

Tennis Man
09-25-2006, 05:29 PM
LOL. Actually most of them have cracked by the throat.

"Most of them"? Have you broken any?

I can't believe it's mostly nCode so far. Looks like stronger players choose nCode and just break them :)

Nextman916
09-25-2006, 05:50 PM
LM Prestige Mid, my friend broke it in a match. He bashed it around 10 times before he handed it to me to hold, i was sitting on a bench at the sideline. Later he got even more fired up and asked for the racquet back, and banged the remaining stringbed on the netpost repeatedly and hurled the racquet over the fence by about 50 feet.

drakulie
09-25-2006, 07:03 PM
"Most of them"? Have you broken any?

No, I haven't broken any.

carpetgrub
09-25-2006, 07:14 PM
Overhead, Yamaha Secret 04... I missed the ball too :(

TennsDog
09-25-2006, 08:14 PM
I've broken several, but don't really feel like going into it right now.
I will say, however, that nCode rackets are amazing in strength. I have slammed them down on serve (a way I broke 3 other rackets) about 6 times, never with any hint of damage beyond paint.

maverick66
09-25-2006, 10:09 PM
broken round 10. worst was lm prestige that when i went to string it the top of the head pulled in making it look like a yonex with a bent in top.

Tennis Man
09-26-2006, 06:52 AM
I will say, however, that nCode rackets are amazing in strength. I have slammed them down on serve (a way I broke 3 other rackets) about 6 times, never with any hint of damage beyond paint.

That's what I've been looking for. I thought nCodes would be a bit stronger. Then maybe Yonex (quality made in Japan). Babolats and Heads (with its twin-tube) should probably be the weakest ... They feel kinda hollow inside. I just can't wait to try the original Head Prestige or PC 600.

Your opinions?

TennsDog
09-26-2006, 08:47 AM
That's what I've been looking for. I thought nCodes would be a bit stronger. Then maybe Yonex (quality made in Japan). Babolats and Heads (with its twin-tube) should probably be the weakest ... They feel kinda hollow inside. I just can't wait to try the original Head Prestige or PC 600.

Your opinions?
I don't know. I think Yonex might be one of the weaker brands, as they have an inherent weakness about them in their isometric head shape, which you have to account for in stringing. They also never felt real solid in my hand. The rackets I broke all had titanium in them, and they all broke there the titanium was, or at least supposedly was. So anything with titanium sucks strength-wise.

drakulie
09-26-2006, 09:58 AM
I remember when the i. radical first came out there were lots of racquets that were cracking at the throat. Head replaced them with no questions. After about 6 months of production they changed the way they were produced. As a result, the first i. radicals played a lot differently than the later batch.

I believe the first ones had L4 in the throat, and the later ones had L5, or vice versa.

But they each played very diffrerently, althought they had the same weight it affected the swing weight.

tennis life
09-26-2006, 11:16 AM
I cracked a wilson hyper hammer. it had taken several hard shots and finally cracked, i always threw my racquet but i had never cracked one b4

Zets147
09-26-2006, 02:36 PM
Wow, it was the opposite for me. Broke both of them on overheads that slipped out of my hand. Crack the upper hoop, then play for a bit and the hoop broke in half.

TennsDog
09-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Wow, it was the opposite for me. Broke both of them on overheads that slipped out of my hand. Crack the upper hoop, then play for a bit and the hoop broke in half.
You played with a fractured frame?? That doesn't seem like a very good idea to start with.

nhstennis
09-26-2006, 04:57 PM
I cracked my old lm Instinct on an overhead it cracked after i hit another shot. Broke at 5'ocklok

Duzza
09-26-2006, 04:59 PM
I cracked a Prince More Game...on a pole....

Duzza
09-26-2006, 05:00 PM
I remember when the i. radical first came out there were lots of racquets that were cracking at the throat. Head replaced them with no questions. After about 6 months of production they changed the way they were produced. As a result, the first i. radicals played a lot differently than the later batch.

I believe the first ones had L4 in the throat, and the later ones had L5, or vice versa.

But they each played very diffrerently, althought they had the same weight it affected the swing weight.
did they have a different paint feel? Because i have one that is very rough at the throat, a very weird paint, and my friend has one and the throat is shiny paintjob, really smooth..

You cannot be serious !!!
09-26-2006, 05:05 PM
Dunlop Max 200g - John and Steffi's racquet, supposedly indestructable as John used to bash the crap out of it and it doesn't break.

I broke mine from a serve

AndrewD
09-26-2006, 05:13 PM
I've had the early version of the TT Warrior MP break (multiple frames) and, at our club, the ones that seem to break or crack most often are the Babolat PD and the nCode 90.

Zets147
09-26-2006, 05:20 PM
You played with a fractured frame?? That doesn't seem like a very good idea to start with.
Yes, it was fractured after it hit the ground from the overhead....
Then just kept playing until the frame broke. (It was only practice).

abenguyen
09-26-2006, 05:38 PM
cheap wilson titanium from target i got ****ed after one shot and i slammed it on a pole(fence) surprisingly didn't break. it just dented really badly.

on another instance i had a prince racquet made of "aluminum alloy" from ross that i got cheap and after just hitting for about 15 minutes the racquet itself curved as if u put it on the ground it would not lay flat the top would curve upwards worst racquet ever

TennsDog
09-26-2006, 05:45 PM
cheap wilson titanium from target i got ****ed after one shot and i slammed it on a pole(fence) surprisingly didn't break. it just dented really badly.

on another instance i had a prince racquet made of "aluminum alloy" from ross that i got cheap and after just hitting for about 15 minutes the racquet itself curved as if u put it on the ground it would not lay flat the top would curve upwards worst racquet ever
Yeah, the cheap $20-30 frames from non-sporting goods stores pretty much won't break. I had a guy on my team one time trying to break one, but it just kept getting more and more mangled without fracturing.

Tennis Man
09-27-2006, 03:05 PM
No one broke Prince O3 yet or ONLY girls play with it, no offense, LOL?

ucd_ace
09-27-2006, 03:09 PM
Babolat Pure Control on an Overhead... Dunlop Muscle Weave 200g not sure at what point, but it was during play... Dunlop M-Fil 200 on... the ground.

Tennis Man
09-27-2006, 03:17 PM
no, these polls are just wrong ... Of course people break more Wilsons, Heads & Babolats b/c there are more people buying them ... but there is something wrong with O3 ... come on, boys and girls. Break your racquets already :)

Tennis Man
09-28-2006, 08:22 AM
BTW, here is a picture of my nCode with paint chipped. A nice opp to look at nCode composition. Looks like plain graphite to me :)

http://i9.tinypic.com/2lo3xie.jpg

TennsDog
09-28-2006, 09:10 AM
BTW, here is a picture of my nCode with paint chipped. A nice opp to look at nCode composition. Looks like plain graphite to me :)

http://i10.tinypic.com/34rgadh.jpg
Why does everyone seem to think you can see all the technologies on the inside? First it was Intellifibers, then LiquidMetal, now nCode. These things are all A) very small and B) integrated into the composition such that it blends in anyway. nCode technology fills in the microscopic gaps between graphite fibers. If you can't see the gaps, then you certainly won't see the crystals filling them in.

prostaff18
09-28-2006, 09:47 AM
I have broken 2 O3 Whites. The first one I was hitting a kick serve and I framed it and it broke the frame at 9 o’clock. The only thing holding it together was the strings, and then Prince wouldn't take it back because they didn't believe me. Then I broke the other one when I was feeding balls and I wasn't paying attention and I hit the basket. I have also found one of those cheap wall-mart racquets at our courts and no one claimed it so I now carry it in my bag to smash when I have a bad day on the courts. It doesn’t really make me feel any better about losing but it makes me laugh and I feel better. But it will not break it just keeps getting more and more deformed, I have even done the move that Marat dose when he puts it up against the net post and stomps on it and breaks it in half, mine only bends more. By the way the racquet is a Venus and Serena junior 25.

Tennis Man
09-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Why does everyone seem to think you can see all the technologies on the inside? First it was Intellifibers, then LiquidMetal, now nCode. These things are all A) very small and B) integrated into the composition such that it blends in anyway. nCode technology fills in the microscopic gaps between graphite fibers. If you can't see the gaps, then you certainly won't see the crystals filling them in.

I agree with you, lol :)

Roger Federer
10-06-2006, 09:06 AM
i have a broken prince tt warrior from david ferrer!!

look at the pictures:

http://img317.imageshack.us/img317/5905/cimg2425ky1.th.jpg (http://img317.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cimg2425ky1.jpg)

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/5771/cimg2429pt6.th.jpg (http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cimg2429pt6.jpg)

Tennis Man
10-06-2006, 10:13 AM
i have a broken prince tt warrior from david ferrer!!

look at the pictures:

http://img317.imageshack.us/img317/5905/cimg2425ky1.th.jpg (http://img317.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cimg2425ky1.jpg)

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/5771/cimg2429pt6.th.jpg (http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cimg2429pt6.jpg)

Did you break it yourself? :)

Roger Federer
10-06-2006, 10:20 AM
no, david did it! ;)

heycal
10-06-2006, 05:59 PM
Cracked a Warrior OS from repeatedly throwing it, and broke a newish-Core1 #10 that had a fresh set of Babolat VS in it when I slammed it into the Har-Tru after missing a shot...

Since then (July), I have made a vow, partly because of economic reasons and partly from anger managment, never to throw or slam my racket again. I did throw it once when I honestly forgot about my vow, and I've slammed it into the net a couple of times and dropped it in disgust once, but overall I've been keeping a much better grip on things...

heycal
11-07-2006, 04:17 PM
Cracked a Warrior OS from repeatedly throwing it, and broke a newish-Core1 #10 that had a fresh set of Babolat VS in it when I slammed it into the Har-Tru after missing a shot...

Since then (July), I have made a vow, partly because of economic reasons and partly from anger managment, never to throw or slam my racket again. I did throw it once when I honestly forgot about my vow, and I've slammed it into the net a couple of times and dropped it in disgust once, but overall I've been keeping a much better grip on things...

UPDATE:

Broke another one today... I'd been pretty good about holding on to my racket lately, but lost it today... I smashed it into the ground after I passed on hitting an easy overhead on set point thinking the ball was going out, and then compounded the error by not playing it safe and moving to the ball to play it after the bounce in case it was in after all. Which it was. Two mistakes in one fell swoop -- I lost the set and my temper and BAM went the newish racket straight into the Har-tru and the head broke.

I'm not proud of myself, and really angry I broke the racket and need a new one... almost angry enough to break ANOTHER racket just thinking about how stupid it was to break that one!