PDA

View Full Version : Sticking with a 'classic racquet'?

OrangeOne
09-25-2006, 06:06 PM
I played in a local tournament over the weekend. Next to me at one stage was a guy, in my division, weilding the PS 85, strung with a classic string (well, not a poly anyways). Classic strokes, kick serve, 1HBH, fluid movement - you just *know* he's watched every GS final Pete ever won ;)

I only saw glimpses of him playing next to me on day 1, and he seemed to be a good 4.0-4.5 player.

I then watched him playing on day 3 in a doubles-semi, and this time I wasn't playing, just spectating. Now, I know this debate goes on a bit here, but it really seemed to me that the racquet was holding him back. Not knowing much about him, I'm not sure if he was a bit tired, but his serves were often floating just a bit long and seemed a bit slow (a bit heavy to swing perhaps - or not quite enough spin being generated), he seemed just a fraction of a second slower to the ball, and he did seem to mis-hit/frame the ball a bit more than the others on the court, especially in reflex-type-situations. ALL OF THAT SAID, he probably had the purest technique on the court. I couldn't help thinking he wouldn't have been much better with just a slightly more modern, larger-sweet-spot frame that produced spin a little easier.

I couldn't help think: "is this just dedication - beyond the call - to a frame (and maybe a retired-legendary-player?)". Do many others witness this often?

Amone
09-25-2006, 06:17 PM
Doubles and Singles sticks are different. I mean, we don't admit it, but they are. Small headed isn't great for doubles racquets.

MTChong
09-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Amone is correct; this is doubles - though at the same time, an argument can be made for anything on these boards so I think we should just leave it there and not have a huge debate - again for the nth time.

heycal
09-25-2006, 07:55 PM
Doubles and Singles sticks are different. I mean, we don't admit it, but they are. Small headed isn't great for doubles racquets.

So what size IS good for doubles?

Amone
09-25-2006, 08:14 PM
I'd make an argument that 95's about your floor for a doubles stick in and of itself. Of course, you have to make adjustments for skill-- Sampras could've used the PS 85 to great effect in doubles, because he's sweeter than us country folk. If you were to ask me what I would say is good for doubles-- not necessarily only doubles, but good for doubles-- I'd have to redirect you to NoBadMojo's ideals of racquet choice, because the larger headsize facilitates the intense net play.

However, I'm merely a student of the game. Take my word for it, put it to the test, or just think I'm a liar. Whichever you prefer.

nViATi
09-25-2006, 08:21 PM
I'd make an argument that 95's about your floor for a doubles stick in and of itself. Of course, you have to make adjustments for skill-- Sampras could've used the PS 85 to great effect in doubles, because he's sweeter than us country folk. If you were to ask me what I would say is good for doubles-- not necessarily only doubles, but good for doubles-- I'd have to redirect you to NoBadMojo's ideals of racquet choice, because the larger headsize facilitates the intense net play.

However, I'm merely a student of the game. Take my word for it, put it to the test, or just think I'm a liar. Whichever you prefer.
Even Sampras himself made a remark about possibly doing better if he had switched to a slightly less demanding racquet.

superstition
09-25-2006, 08:25 PM
The Prostaff 85 is no good for doubles against players who volley well. I use this ( http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCHEAD-HC.html ) (midplus). It's excellent for volleying, and my results have been better with it than with any smaller-headed racquet. I don't play singles with it, because I can't keep the ball in the court during intense rallies with the loose tension I use for doubles. I play singles with a 75" Ultra 2 and with an 85" Prostaff, although I'm looking to get a new racquet because the latest Chinese Prostaff is weird.

movdqa
09-25-2006, 08:42 PM
I played in a local tournament over the weekend. Next to me at one stage was a guy, in my division, weilding the PS 85, strung with a classic string (well, not a poly anyways). Classic strokes, kick serve, 1HBH, fluid movement - you just *know* he's watched every GS final Pete ever won ;)

I only saw glimpses of him playing next to me on day 1, and he seemed to be a good 4.0-4.5 player.

I then watched him playing on day 3 in a doubles-semi, and this time I wasn't playing, just spectating. Now, I know this debate goes on a bit here, but it really seemed to me that the racquet was holding him back. Not knowing much about him, I'm not sure if he was a bit tired, but his serves were often floating just a bit long and seemed a bit slow (a bit heavy to swing perhaps - or not quite enough spin being generated), he seemed just a fraction of a second slower to the ball, and he did seem to mis-hit/frame the ball a bit more than the others on the court, especially in reflex-type-situations. ALL OF THAT SAID, he probably had the purest technique on the court. I couldn't help thinking he wouldn't have been much better with just a slightly more modern, larger-sweet-spot frame that produced spin a little easier.

I couldn't help think: "is this just dedication - beyond the call - to a frame (and maybe a retired-legendary-player?)". Do many others witness this often?

This guy probably isn't a spring chicken and your muscles can get pretty sore after more tennis than you're normally used to.