PDA

View Full Version : Leather Grip alter racquet balance??

Nextman916
09-25-2006, 05:51 PM
Ive heard leather grips weight a good amount in grams, would this alter the balace on the racquet any? Make it more hl or swing heavier? Im thinking about putting one on my RDS 001 MP but im not sure if ill like the change.

Ronaldo
09-25-2006, 05:53 PM
Have a Babolat Leather grip on my 001 mp, weighs 12.2 oz strung now, more headlight. Will post a pic

Nextman916
09-25-2006, 05:56 PM
Thx, yah i demoed a N6.1 95 a while back when deciding on my RDS and i remember the feel. But i saw one lying in my coaches office yesterday with a leather replacement grip, i picked it up and immediately it felt heavier. Do you enjoy the added weight? What did it do for you game exactly? Did you have to adjust? Also do you use lead tape as well? Sorry alot of questions but it would be great if you could get back to me, thx.

NoBadMojo
09-25-2006, 06:01 PM
why dont you just put a leather grip on and see if you like it..it does make the setup more headlight and adds more swingweight..is that what you are looking for?

FuriousYellow
09-25-2006, 06:04 PM
Other than the increased weight, does leather offer any additional benefits if you use an overgrip? Are they generally thicker than rubber grips or about the same?

Amone
09-25-2006, 06:06 PM
Thinner, but firmer. They also are rumored to have a more in-tune 'feel' of the racquet.

ThePlungerMan
09-25-2006, 06:16 PM
I tried a leather grip. Added 7 grams and made a significant difference in the way the racket felt. At first I thought I might like it, and played for about three weeks with it. My third racket has the original grip and used it and it felt much better and more comfortable. FWIW, I since the leather grip experiment got a small case of tennis elbow, maybe and or a coincidence. But itís getting less painful as the days go by with my original grips, and I play a lot.

snoflewis
09-25-2006, 06:16 PM
Thinner, but firmer. They also are rumored to have a more in-tune 'feel' of the racquet.

i dont think they're thinner. all the leather grips i've had (wilson, fairway, head calfskin) were thicker than most replacement grips. however, they are firmer, and because they're firmer, they do not dampen the feel coming off the stringbed. they also make the bevels a little sharper.

VGP
09-25-2006, 06:22 PM

Rumored? Sounds like you've never tried it.

Leather grip with and overgrip.......the only way I like it.

BigServer1
09-25-2006, 09:02 PM

Yup yup...that's the only way to go.

Will888
09-25-2006, 09:04 PM
people say that it makes the racquet weigh more, which makes sense. But it's obviously more handle heavy then.

Duzza
09-26-2006, 01:08 AM
Have a Babolat Leather grip on my 001 mp, weighs 12.2 oz strung now, more headlight. Will post a pic
can you please? I wanna see this :P

BaseLineBash
09-26-2006, 01:14 AM
people say that it makes the racquet weigh more, which makes sense. But it's obviously more handle heavy then.
Which in turn makes the racquet headlight. Synthetic grips feel are too spongy, leather is the way to go for feel. I myself prefer tourna over the leather, saves my grip and I still have great feel and no slip.

Rabbit
09-26-2006, 04:45 AM

10 - 4

joe sch
09-26-2006, 04:49 AM
You would have to be pretty accurate and a very high level player to notice any balance diff from a leather grip. It would only help you swing better anyway since it will very slighly make your racket less head heavy or bring the balance down (HL -0.1) point :)

There is no better feel than hitting with leaather. Same applies to using natural gut. I use both and if I have to use an overgrip or synthetic strings because of the weather condition, it a handicap for me :)

NoBadMojo
09-26-2006, 05:25 AM
I tried a leather grip. Added 7 grams and made a significant difference in the way the racket felt. At first I thought I might like it, and played for about three weeks with it. My third racket has the original grip and used it and it felt much better and more comfortable. FWIW, I since the leather grip experiment got a small case of tennis elbow, maybe and or a coincidence. But itís getting less painful as the days go by with my original grips, and I play a lot.

This is worth commenting on..while leather does transmit more ball feel, it also transmits more shock from misshitting and also from harsh hitting frames, whch can lead to injury or make an injury more serious. I dont recommend leather to people who arent good ball strikers. The cushioned grips do help protect your wrist arm and shoulder from harmful shock

ThePlungerMan
09-26-2006, 11:23 AM
This is worth commenting on..while leather does transmit more ball feel, it also transmits more shock from misshitting and also from harsh hitting frames, whch can lead to injury or make an injury more serious. I dont recommend leather to people who arent good ball strikers. The cushioned grips do help protect your wrist arm and shoulder from harmful shock
Hey donít take that tone with me. LOL, yes Iím a little defensive. As I said, I play a lot, 14.5 hours last Fri-Sun. I may not be a great ball striker but Iím a good ball striker with my DNX 9. I tried a Volkl and Wilson leather grip, both added such a significant difference (7-8 grams) that it threw off the racketís balance I bought and liked as is. It also made a huge difference in serves, as in not as good as results, but thatís for me. Much better with the lighter grip. While trying the leather grip I was aware of the added shock value and didnít notice a difference in added shock really, just a difference in feel. But then again, I miss by a mile sometimes and the leather grip may have help push the elbow over the top. Iíve been icing it after I play and itís getting better, even with all that play this past weekend.