PDA

View Full Version : Gamma Shockbusters

Discovery660
09-25-2006, 06:01 PM
Consider this worm goes in and out of a lot of strings, does this some how increase the tension of the string?

patrick922
09-25-2006, 07:00 PM
nope, just has to do with reducing SOME vibrations and changing the sound from a ping to a solid 'thud'

BigServer1
09-26-2006, 09:09 AM
and if it gets hit the wrong way then it explodes all over you...

Keifers
09-26-2006, 10:26 AM
I used to use these worms - and liked them for a long time. No effect on string tension, just removes the ping sound, as stated above.

Then I started using smaller dampeners - and eventually rubberbands - to get less thud and more auditory feedback from the stringbed.

int3rsc0p3
09-26-2006, 09:14 PM
Not looking to start a war here- but if dampeners do not dampen vibration as they suggest, then why does it feel muted and like there are no vibrations from the handle? And it is noticebly different when there is no dampener.

Keifers
09-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Not looking to start a war here- but if dampeners do not dampen vibration as they suggest, then why does it feel muted and like there are no vibrations from the handle? And it is noticebly different when there is no dampener.
They do dampen vibrations -- just not the ones that produce tennis elbow and other arm/shoulder problems.

LazyAzN
09-26-2006, 09:44 PM
and if it gets hit the wrong way then it explodes all over you...
Oh so very true...
I broke 2 of them, so I traded my last one for a dunlop stock shock dampener... Let's just say the guy that I traded with broke his shockbuster and wanted his dampener back :mrgreen:.

cghipp
09-27-2006, 03:28 AM
They do dampen vibrations -- just not the ones that produce tennis elbow and other arm/shoulder problems.I don't agree with this. When I hit without a dampener, I am definitely more sore in the wrist and elbow the next day.

Keifers
09-27-2006, 07:29 AM
Wow, that surprises me. I wonder if your racquet without dampener has some resonant frequencies that cause the soreness you experience.

cghipp
09-27-2006, 07:57 AM
I doubt it. The racquet I'm referring to is the i.Prestige MP.

diredesire
09-27-2006, 08:32 AM
they weigh approximately 3 g each, also. Although i doubt it's a "resonant frequency" type issue (but it is possible, i suppose), the added (albeit small) amount of weight can cause a little soreness if you're not used to them.

cghipp
09-27-2006, 08:34 AM
I get sore when I DON'T use them, not when I do!

coolblue123
09-27-2006, 08:48 AM
Worms are cool but they leak this oily goo like stuff out. I just used a l-cheapo rubber band. For those ppl whom lose their dampers when they accidently hit the ball, the prince vib dampner is not bad either. It spans across a couple of strings.

I thought these dampers absorb the string vibration thus changing the ping to a thud. I've used one forever now, can't live w/o one.

Keifers
09-27-2006, 12:24 PM
I get sore when I DON'T use them, not when I do!
Well there's no doubting your experience. And the i.Prestige is not one of those light, head-heavy racquets. Just curious, what dampener do you use? And is your racquet a Mid or a Mid Plus?

cghipp
09-27-2006, 12:38 PM
I've been using the Gamma Shockbuster for a long time. I'm not about to say that my technique is above reproach, but I think I am more bothered by shock than the average person. It was the i.Prestige Mid Plus, and the Prestige Tour 93 before that. I have since switched to the Pro Kennex Ki 5 (after a brief affair with the Yonex RDS 001 MP) and my arm and I are loving it. Even with that racquet, I still use the Shockbuster, because I've gotten so used to that feel. Without the dampener, feedback doesn't feel like feedback to me any more; it sounds like a bullhorn.

alcap26
09-27-2006, 12:41 PM
I had one of the gamma ones bust on me and I started using the prince silencer that you weave through and it works very well.

Keifers
09-27-2006, 01:46 PM
cghipp,
Glad you're having such a good experience with the Ki 5. I have some of PK's non-Kinetic racquets (Type R, Type C and Type S) and I really like them.

And yes, bullhorn sounds are not conducive to fine tennis playing!...

Discovery660
09-28-2006, 06:37 AM
I've been using shock busters forever, and never had one bust on me. Maybe I hit the ball more centered then those breaking them? :) When I take them off, I cannot stand hitting with the racket. I just wasn't sure how much feel I was losing and if it weaving through the strings increased tension.

cghipp
09-28-2006, 08:35 AM
The only time I've had one bust on me was when I was putting on a brand new one, and I stretched it too far. Other than that, so far, so good!