PDA

View Full Version : Added Lead Tape 12 o'clock.

pNoyr3D
09-26-2006, 07:40 AM
I added Lead tape to my racquet at the 12 o'clock position. I layered 3" strips. I am wondering, will that add more power to my serve and forehands, etc.. I heard it's supposed to increase power, but how would you really know it increased, the racquet doesn't seem any heavier.

Thank's!

VGP
09-26-2006, 08:23 AM
here....read this paper.

http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~cross/customising.pdf#search=%22customising%20tennis%20r ackets%22

btw - when you get your racket restrung, you may have to replace the lead tape since the mounting at 6 and 12 o'clock may squish the tape at the top.

pNoyr3D
09-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Okay thank's alot for the tip VGP!
So, should I take off the tape before restringing it?

ShcMad
09-26-2006, 01:13 PM
I added Lead tape to my racquet at the 12 o'clock position. I layered 3" strips. I am wondering, will that add more power to my serve and forehands, etc.. I heard it's supposed to increase power, but how would you really know it increased, the racquet doesn't seem any heavier.

Thank's!

Adding weight at 12 o'clock will significantly decrease maneuverability than adding weight anywhere else on the racquet. The swingweight will go up while the static weight will change little.

Most people on this board seem to like adding weight at 3&9, and don't like the idea of adding lead at 12. However, I found out that adding just a little lead at 12 (2-4 grams) at the top of the racquet can help you get the "plow through" effect. The plow through effect is a preference mostly. Some people like just brushing the hell outta the ball, while I like feeling more like I'm hitting through the ball. The weight at 12 helps me achieve that effect.

As for the stringing machine crushing the lead, yes, it does mess up the lead. It becomes wrinkley and ugly. Some ATP players' racquets divide the lead at 12 in two pieces, and leave the middle half-inch empty. You can either do that or just replace the lead tape after restringing.

pNoyr3D
09-26-2006, 01:51 PM
I did that.. I divided the lead in the middle and left the middle part open.

Thanks alot!

ShcMad
09-26-2006, 02:06 PM
I did that.. I divided the lead in the middle and left the middle part open.

Thanks alot!

You're welcome. But, I once heard from one of the stringers on this board that Marat Safin hates it when the stringers divide the lead at 12. The first time Safin saw it, he said something like "What is that?!" :mad:

haerdalis
09-26-2006, 02:12 PM
You could put it under the bumper guard too.

pNoyr3D
09-26-2006, 05:03 PM
Haha, safin, he's awesome.. But yeah it worked very well. I played with it earlier for about 30 minutes and it was tremendous, my shots have so much more power!! Didn't try it on serve yet though, racquet felt a bit heavier. Love it!

chair ump
09-26-2006, 07:58 PM
Just don't add more than a couple strips on both sides or else I've found the balance on volleys to be pretty ugly, and you can forget reflex volleys or quick exchanges at the net. I too like approx. 4 in of 1/2 lead tape at 12 o'clock on both sides (one layer)...really helps with the "plow thru" effect without slowing you down too much.

Footnote: a little extra weight at 12 o'clock has really helped my 1HBH!!! Much more consistent and adds weight to the shot. Both topspin drives and biting slices.