PDA

View Full Version : Polyester vs Synthetic Gut

gfdoto
09-26-2006, 11:06 AM
This may be a newbie question but can someone sum up the major differences, tradeoffs, strengths/weaknesses between polyester and syn gut? I read the brief descriptions at the TW learning center and the impression I got was that polyester was more durable but less comfortable, so people hybrid polyester with syn/nat gut to soften up the string bed. Any advantages to using polyester other than durability?

patrick922
09-26-2006, 11:26 AM
if you like a stiffer feel, a little more control, a little more spin, less string movement,

Ripper
09-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Polyester strings are much more difficult to break, don't move around and provide more control. Also, they have less feel and tension retension is bad.

Sebastien
09-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Polyester strings ... and tension retension is bad.

Yes with the old style poly, but now there is a lot of good poly that maintain the tension better than syn. gut in my opinion.

vinnier6
09-27-2006, 10:38 AM
Yes with the old style poly, but now there is a lot of good poly that maintain the tension better than syn. gut in my opinion.
is bb alu good at maintaining tension....

BiGGieStuFF
09-27-2006, 10:41 AM
my polys don't lose tension unless you actually hit with them for a while. my backup was strung with bb ace 18 and I had not pulled it out in a while and it still felt the same. Not until i got some good hours on it befor eit lost tension. So they are correct that atmospheric conditions don't affect it. it doesn't lose tension as fast as say X1 biphase though.

Ripper
09-27-2006, 10:57 AM
...but now there is a lot of good poly that maintain the tension better than syn. gut in my opinion.

The best syn guts, still, have better tension retension, by a large margin, over the best polys.

is bb alu good at maintaining tension....

Within the polys, yes, but there are polys that are better at this.

my polys don't lose tension unless you actually hit with them for a while.

All types of strings will hold tension quite well, before you start hitting with them.

BiGGieStuFF
09-27-2006, 11:08 AM
All types of strings will hold tension quite well, before you start hitting with them.

I guess what I really mean is the strings don't go dead just sitting there like some strings do. I could leave the racket sitting in my trunk for a while and it'll still hit like it was freshly strung. I couldn't do that with my multi's but that's besides the point since we're comparing to synthetic gut.

Pusher
09-27-2006, 01:19 PM
This may be a newbie question but can someone sum up the major differences, tradeoffs, strengths/weaknesses between polyester and syn gut? I read the brief descriptions at the TW learning center and the impression I got was that polyester was more durable but less comfortable, so people hybrid polyester with syn/nat gut to soften up the string bed. Any advantages to using polyester other than durability?

Poly is like a ferrari-it performs better at high speed.

If you don't knock the crap out of the ball then syn is better.

Keifers
09-27-2006, 01:40 PM
I don't have a lot of experience with polys, but when I hit with a poly after hitting with a synthetic, I'm always struck by how much more the poly "grabs" the ball, which in my case, results in increased topspin that keeps in balls that would normally go out.

dewey2110
09-27-2006, 01:44 PM
I dont think there's a syn gut that can play close to SPPP, hurricane tour, or red code...

gfdoto
09-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Hmm, I just ordered some SPPP 1.18 and I'm currently playing with PSGD (and previously Gosen OG Micro). Do you guys think I should try a hybrid first or just a pure poly job? I'm currently using the Babolat PD+ so I'm concerned about how harsh the poly will feel compared to the syn guts.

steve s
09-27-2006, 07:15 PM
None for me.