PDA

View Full Version : Tennis elbow - the stick or technique?

danieljss
08-03-2004, 02:19 AM
Hello

I was having a chat to a guy at my tennis club last night - he has been suffering badly from tennis elbow for a year or so. He has had physio etc. We were discussing the possible causes of the problem. I was suggesting his equipment isn't helping - he using a prince racket, can't recall the name, white frame it retails at 135 here in the uk. Triple threat or something? Anyway its light with a meduim wide frame i guess - strung with kevlar. I told him to try my set up - Head i prestigue mid plus strung with intelli tour 17 at 60lbs. He instantly liked my set up and found it easier on his arm. I was suggesting that its because its a heavy stick - so gives something to swing against + the strings are polyester which are more comfortable on the arm. Have i got this info correct?

i also thought his technique is a problem - he has an extreme western grip and "arms" most of his shots with loads of top spin.

any thoughts appreciated

thanks

Dan.

destan
08-03-2004, 05:53 AM
It is both. Bad technique of single handed backhand is one main culprit.

At this point, I would like to open another discussion about rackets and tennis elbow.

Tennis elbow occurs because of the continuous pounding and the vibrations that go down the arm. The common advice is to use headlight, heavy racket. However, many of these 'players' racket have small sweetspot. I am questioning this now. Wouldn't a tweener racket with large sweetspot better? It should eliminate the vibrations from off-centred shots and be more comfortable on the arms. In today's market, many of the tweener rackets have big sweetspot and would they be good for tennis-elbow sufferers?

Would welcome any comments on this. Thanks.

BSousa
08-03-2004, 07:54 AM
I have tennis elbow and the only recommendation I got from my medic was to stop tennis (yeah right).

It's now my second week with a home made self treatment and I'm getting better, and I'm still playing 4+ times a week. If in a month the pain is gone or at least much better, I'll let you guys know what I'm doing (I don't want to give peoples ideas of things that can make their pain worse :))

I think the racquet has much to do with the problem. One advice, the Head LM 8 should be banned for any person that has any minimal elbow problems, and even to those that don't. LM8 is a beginners racquet and I quite liked it for the 2 weeks I was able to use it. It completly destroyed my elbow. I switched to Cat 10 and haven't looked back, the pain hasn't grown compared to me using the LM8. To me, the racquet was the main source of tennis elbow.

Technique wise, I use a 2 handed backhand so this wasn't the problem, but my forearm was. I didn't have a decent followthrough because I gripped the handle too much (right size, but it seemed I tried to squeeze it like my life depended on it) which prevented a smooth followthrough. I only was able to notice this when my elbow was hurting alot, and i did a couple of air swings (no ball) and I noticed that because of the tight grip the swing was stopped abruptly, my elbow hurted like hell in the end.

Another problem (which in my case wasn't a cause) is using the wrist to generate power (snapping the wrist). This happens alot to people that usually hit the ball late, since they can't do a full swing to generate power and have to compensate using the wrist. Try to hit the ball in front of your.

Hope it help
Bruno

borisboris
08-19-2004, 06:28 AM
:lol: Bruno is right. My deltoid gave out and then my elbow - this went on for years while I continued to use my Titanium frame. (addicted to power) I switched to a 100% graphite and I play 2 hrs every other day with no pain at all.
Technique
Racquet
String
Poor Conditioning

Work on Tech
Get a softer stick
Use a friendly string
Do reverse curls and fly's :twisted:

paulfreda
10-07-2004, 06:24 AM
I struggled with tennis elbow for years.
At one point I considered surgery.
In my experience, technique has little to do with it.
It is the racquet and strings.
1/ Use the heaviest racquet you can handle in the 3rd set.
I use a 12.4 oz racquet strung
2/ Use a flexible (ie non wide body) players racquet
Both of the above let the racquet take the energy from
the hit.
But the final solution for me was ....
3/ Lower the string tension to as low as you can stand.
I dropped to 48 pounds and never have had even the
slightest pain again.
It wasnt until someone told me McEnroe played at 48 lbs
that I was willing to do this.
I hated it at first because the ball comes off the racquet much
slower. But it is your choice ....play differently or struggle and
possibly injure yourself beyond repair. TE can take a year
(of no tennis) to heal in some cases.
Next ... ask me how I cured my plantar fasciaitis.