PDA

View Full Version : Dang You Yonex People...You DO Have Some Nice Racquets!

varuscelli
09-26-2006, 02:48 PM
I have officially been bitten by the Racquet Fever bug.

I've been playing with several different racquets lately in my quest to find something I really like and to help my wife find something as well. For my tennis beginner wife, it looks like she's settled on a Prince O3 Blue (thanks to one of our forum members here). She seems to like it and I think it will make a great racquet for her to see if she's really going to take to the sport. (I really liked hitting with it myself.)

For me, I've been playing with all kinds of racquets from 90 to 113-inch heads and all in between.

But I bought a couple of slightly used Yonex racquets (one from a forum member here) and I really like them. It’s not just that I like hitting with them, but the way they're made. I have to admit, Yonex seems to make very fine tennis racquets and when you look at all the design elements, they seem to have brought something really special into the overall process that puts the final racquets out into the player’s hands. Even down to small details like the quality of the lettering in the racquet specs as printed on the frame and the finish that's applied to the racquet.

From Yonex, here's what I've added to my growing collection:

Yonex RDS 003 Mid+ (100 sq. in., 11.1 oz.)
Yonex RDX 500 Mid (90 sq. in., 11.8 oz.)

I haven't hit as much as I intend to with the RDX 500, but have hit a bunch with the RDS 003. Man, it's nice. I plan on playing the RDX 500 a bunch, too (if I ever get over my current calf injury).

But hitting aside, when you look closely at Yonex racquets, I have to admit that they seem to be among the most well-crafted racquets I've ever seen. I can't pretend to know what all goes into the manufacturing process on any specific brand of racquet (would love to see the process in person, though), but it seems kind of like testing out new cars. You sort of know by handling them that there's something special there.

So to you Yonex fans out there: I think I'm beginning to see where you're coming from. Nice stuff. ;)

(Don't know what I'll end up with as a final "this is the one" racquet -- if I ever do find it. Might end up as a permanent multi-racquet user judging by my seeming inclination. In the mean time, Yonex is certainly a nice place to visit.)

rommil
09-26-2006, 02:52 PM
Glad to hear that you are appreciating Yonex. I have been a loyal user of their products. Currently using the RDX 500 mid and love it. It plays bigger than its head size.

retroceso
09-26-2006, 03:19 PM
oh fo sho------

Keifers
09-26-2006, 03:42 PM
I have an RQ 7 and in their brochure, Yonex describes its "Dual Power Structure" as "an aerodynamically-contoured upper part of the hoop [which] lowers air resistance and allows a sharp swing through".

It really works! The RQ 7 cuts through the air noticeably more easily than other 100" racquets.

Seems like Yonex tries to come up with real design innovations in their frames.

tennis_nerd22
09-26-2006, 04:33 PM
varuscelli, your amazed by the rdx 500's and rds 003... try the rds 001 ;)

dewey2110
09-26-2006, 05:03 PM
varuscelli, your amazed by the rdx 500's and rds 003... try the rds 001 ;)
Ya, I play w/ the RDS 001 MP and I think its a combination of RDX500 and RDS003...

bertrevert
09-26-2006, 05:46 PM
As a recent convert with a RDS 001 MP can I add that the Yonex manufacturing seems exemplary. The fit and finish are top quality. There seems to be some sort of X factor in this Y racquet.

Also, try adding some lead to the 003. I did to mine at 3 and 9. It really brought the stringbed to life. It ironed out the (volley) wobbles. It gave it a better swingweight. Serve returns improved. Think I added 2 grams.

varuscelli
09-26-2006, 06:16 PM
The fit and finish are top quality.

Funny, those were the same words I had in mind with the "new car" analogy where the words "fit and finish" are part of typical review criteria by which a vehicle is judged. To me, there is something that really stands out in the fit and finish aspect of the Yonex racquets. When you look at them closely, you can tell that Yonex takes pride in how well made their racquets are. Of course, there's much more to a racquet than meets the eye, but what meets the eye with Yonex seems exceptionally well done.

varuscelli
09-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Ya, I play w/ the RDS 001 MP and I think its a combination of RDX500 and RDS003...

Oh, great. Now I've got to figure out a way to hit with one of them, too. ;)

snoflewis
09-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Oh, great. Now I've got to figure out a way to hit with one of them, too. ;)

forget the midplus...try the mid!

shavenyak
09-26-2006, 06:43 PM
forget the midplus...try the mid!

Ditto. Some people say that the Mid is more difficult to hit with. but I didn't find that the case for me. What I DID find is that the 90 and 98 felt quite a bit different. I highly recommend trying both before you make a decision. The 90 is not less of a racquet as some assume, it's just different.

Try it and make the decision for yourself.

--Roman

Keifers
09-26-2006, 07:16 PM
If the RDS Mid is anything like the RDX Mid, I think you'll find its sweetspot is huge for a 90" frame. I and others certainly have.

armand
09-26-2006, 07:16 PM
Yonex's are made in Japan by highly skilled swordsmiths(think Hattori Hanzo) that lost their jobs with the discovery of gunpowder. So with the same fine precision that Samurai blades were made, Yonex tennis racquets are now also.

varuscelli
09-26-2006, 07:39 PM
Yonex's are made in Japan but highly skilled swordsmiths(think Hattori Hanzo) that lost their jobs with the discovery of gunpowder. So with the same fine precision that Samurai blades were made, Yonex tennis racquets are now also.

Ahh, I get it. So, you don't unsheath it unless you plan to use it. Thus, anyone other than the owner who sees the racquet unsheathed must face the racquet unsheathed. Samurai tennis is some grim stuff, man. :(

;)

Will888
09-26-2006, 08:41 PM
Yonex are extremely well made racquets. Very HIGH quality stuff I have.:D

bsandy
09-26-2006, 08:43 PM
Damn . . . My secret's out !

dewey2110
09-26-2006, 09:01 PM
crap, more and more people beginning to switch to Yonex...I hope the RDS doesnt become a everybody-has-one racquet like the Pure Drive...which was part of the reason why I abandoned my PD.
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!
I always love stuffs from Japan man, seriously tho, they make really high quality products in general...
BTW, Yonex's badminton racquets are the best there is, if you didnt know...

shavenyak
09-26-2006, 09:06 PM
crap, more and more people beginning to switch to Yonex...I hope the RDS doesnt become a everybody-has-one racquet like the Pure Drive...which was part of the reason why I abandoned my PD.
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

It's not what you use, it's how you use it ;)

Keifers
09-26-2006, 09:14 PM
A friend of a friend brought a (Japan-only) RQ 7 Tour over for me. Even the racquet cover of that racquet is "Made in Japan" -- well, excuuuse us who don't live there!... :p :D

KFwinds
09-26-2006, 09:56 PM
Damn...I pawned my Hanzo sword... :(

dewey2110
09-26-2006, 09:58 PM
Ya, but still...where I live, most of the people who use PD suck, I dont want to be listed in the same category (from looking). And I wanted sth with thinner beam too.

betiYonex
09-27-2006, 04:38 AM
Hello new Yonex friend.
You've came into a great dark cave.
I entered 12 years ago when I took in my hands a pro's RD7.
I bought mines from NY. ( I live in BIlbao, Bask Country, ¿Spain?)
Since then I followed the Yonex path (RD7, srdTour, MP3i, MP1Tour xf, RDTi80, RDX500mp, RDS001mp, ¿?).
My childs play with RDX300mp, RDX300sm and RDX100.
I'm waiting for another new love to appear to take me out from this.
¿Perhaps VOLKL, DUNLOP, TECNIFIBRE? Never never Wilson, Babolat, Head, etc..
For us is a difficult way, there isn´t a spanish importer for Yonex products, but we now are buying in the web from Germany, France, switzerland, etc...
We now wears all Yonex apparel, hats, shoes, but strings (sorry)
Who tries a Yonnie doesn´t want anything else in 90% of the cases.
My tennis students agree with me.

Hello again and take care about this.
It becomes into an addiction.

Askmeo88
09-27-2006, 04:49 AM
I can totally echo your comments on the fit and finish of Yonex racquets. Just holding and comparing my nSix-One against my Ti-80s show off the difference in worksmanship. Some of the paint lines on the nCode are uneven, and "fuzzy", but on the Yonex, everything is sharply defined and superb.
There's actually a difference in the feel of the racquets (I think this gives an idea about graphite quality). With all variables controlled, the Wilson gives annoying feedback after the ball impact - some vibrations that take a split-second longer to travel through the handle; the Yonex hits very cleanly - just a single crisp thud.

varuscelli
09-27-2006, 05:12 AM
Damn...I pawned my Hanzo sword... :(

Um...I'm not even sure how to ask this gracefully, but...

How's that snakebite to the face coming along? You back to playing tennis yet? :confused:

:p

bsandy
09-27-2006, 06:34 AM

How are you doing with your Chris Evert "Pro Model" ?

shavenyak
09-27-2006, 07:42 AM
How are you doing with your Chris Evert "Pro Model" ?

Hahaha, my first raquet was a Wilson Chris Everet Autograph wood racquet that my grandmother gave me.

rommil
09-27-2006, 09:28 AM
That's then other thing I like about Yonex, that not a lot of people use it or at least you don't see them just every where.

sureshs
09-27-2006, 09:38 AM
I have avoided them so far because I thought they were too flexy and produced little power. Is that not true?

vsdtrek
09-27-2006, 09:42 AM
To me, the Ti-80 hits with a lot of power. I think it is somewhat similar to the 6.1 line

Ripper
09-27-2006, 10:19 AM
I have avoided them so far because I thought they were too flexy and produced little power. Is that not true?

No. There's a Yonex for every taste.

skyonex
10-06-2006, 10:58 PM
GO YONEX!

I have a growing collection of Yonex. I started after my first beginners racket which was a Prince. Then it was all Yonex. RQ-450 ti, MP-tour 1, RDX 500, RDX 300, and RDS 003. I bought players frames cause they felt so good, but I moved down to 300 and 003 for more power in my 3.5 to 4.5 gameplay.

Love of all of them. BTW I heard their apparel and shoes are also really good. Once I'm done with these Nike's I'm going straight for the 305s.

;)

TonyB
10-07-2006, 03:56 AM
No. There's a Yonex for every taste.

Unfortunately, that's not true any longer.

I need a racquet that's around 12.2 oz. (strung), 8 pts HL, 27" length, with a 90 sq. in. head. Swingweight to be 310 or preferrably less, maybe between 300 and 310.

There is no Yonex racquet that fits that description any longer. The closest are the Ti-80, but that's 98 sq. in., and the RDX 500, which is 1/2 oz. lighter. Adding weight to that at 3 and 9 o'clock will force the SW to go around 325.

Yonex *used* to have racquets that fit this range, but not any more.

dacrymn
10-07-2006, 08:05 AM
well......normally people's requirements aren't THAT ludicrously specific. I mean, head size, length, and GENERAL weight (off by about .2 oz) is normal, but not that way. I mean, you don't have to get yonex. If you really liked yonex that much that you got one anyway, you're probably making a sacrifice that you deem worthy.
________
buy marijuana seeds (http://marijuanaseeds.org/)