PDA

View Full Version : a lot of lead tape

quest01
09-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Does anyone add a lot of lead tape to there racquet?

OrangeOne
09-26-2006, 03:43 PM
Hmm - how can you have been here longer than I have and not seen the million posts about this? Search for travelrajm (sp?) - he's the master. Search for lead tape too, you'll find a million posts and then some....

quest01
09-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Hmm - how can you have been here longer than I have and not seen the million posts about this? Search for travelrajm (sp?) - he's the master. Search for lead tape too, you'll find a million posts and then some....

The reason i asked because i added 18 grams of lead to my racquet and i wanted to see how this would compare to someone else's racquet.

str33t
09-26-2006, 03:48 PM
I added 10 grams in the handle.

nalbandian_fan
09-26-2006, 03:52 PM
10 grams at 9 and 3

TonyB
09-26-2006, 04:08 PM
I added 9 grams to 3 and 9 (4.5 g each side) and 14 grams in the handle (at the butt) to reset the balance (actually a bit more head-light with the added swingweight).

Swings ok, but I haven't yet played with it. The added rotational torque will no doubt throw off my "feel". But I get the sense that the 3 and 9 o'clock weighting will end up being an overall improvement anyways.

Everything's a tradeoff. I'd love to have a "weightless" racquet that pounds the ball and is also stable as a rock on off-center shots. But that just won't happen, so we have to compromise.

In short, no, I don't think 18 grams is too much. But I am surprised at how different the racquet feels in terms of "heft" with the 23 grams that I added.

Amone
09-26-2006, 04:10 PM
16 grams at 3 and 9, currently. Once had about 32 grams, around the lower hoop, but it spun my serve too much.

p0w3r
09-26-2006, 04:56 PM
My racquet seemed to get pushed around during heavy hitting so i added 6 grams to 3 and 9...and then 6 grams under the buttcap with a quater (which weighs ??? grams:p ). I havent tired this setup yet...but hopefully it would have more "plow-through" and more stability (the racquet is a nblade).

dave333
09-26-2006, 05:01 PM
meh, i have 18 in various places.

movdqa
09-26-2006, 05:33 PM
I tried 36 inches today and it added a lot of power without loss of control but feel is lost. I may take some weight off the hoop. I added at 3 and 9.

What's funny is that this probably feels like the flexpoint. Except the flexpoint is probably around the throat now.

Here's my other racquet with no lead tape on the hoop. I'm not sure whether
there's lead tape in this racquet or not. It's possible that there is some under the handle but I haven't changed the grip for perhaps 10 years. But here's a way to add weight to the handle without lead tape.

http://www.vector64.com/Tennis/nails.jpg

nalbandian_fan
09-26-2006, 07:17 PM
how well does that work? i feel way more comfortable puttin lead tape under the grip.

Punisha
09-26-2006, 07:23 PM
ive added somewhere over 20...

Keifers
09-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Recently, I've been adding less weight than I used to, sometimes in the form of strips of head protector tape rather than lead tape. Have found I don't need to add a whole bunch of lead to get the added stability and extra oomph I'm usually looking for.

The head tape is easier to relocate, too, to fine-tune the racquet's swing and punch.

thejerk
09-26-2006, 11:01 PM
I just added 24 inches of gamma lead tape to the handle of my tour8 v-engine. I have lead on almost all my rackets. I have about 30 rackets. I have a tri-comp 90 that I haven't played with yet that doesn't have lead. After I play I may add lead to it. I always use them for a few days before I decide what I want to do with them. Seems like the only reason I play is because I have fun customizing my rackets.

onkystomper
09-27-2006, 01:19 AM
22 grams in handle 9 at 3 and 9. pure storm

movdqa
09-27-2006, 03:48 AM
how well does that work? i feel way more comfortable puttin lead tape under the grip.

It's a lot easier to experiment with. I can take out a nail with a dime to pull the
outer nails with and then take it out with finger strength. The one farther in I
need a screwdriver to take out. Much easier then unwrapping the overgrip and
then the grip and then putting it all back to gether again.

You don't have grip-sizing issues and you can add weight a lot faster. The setup
is somewhere between 16 and 17 ounces - I haven't measured it in a long time
but I may bring it into the office to weigh it. The weight under the handle is
nice for comfort but the extreme head-light nature of the racquet is a disadvantage on the serve at the tension I string it at (62) and I don't have quite as much power on high one-handed backhands as I'd like. Adding a lot of tape at 3 and 9 got rid of the power problems but got rid of the feel too. I will probably try taking off about half the lead tape on the other racquet to see if the feel comes back.

heavyraket
09-27-2006, 10:48 PM
I just added 24 inches of gamma lead tape to the handle of my tour8 v-engine. I have lead on almost all my rackets. I have about 30 rackets. I have a tri-comp 90 that I haven't played with yet that doesn't have lead. After I play I may add lead to it. I always use them for a few days before I decide what I want to do with them. Seems like the only reason I play is because I have fun customizing my rackets.

yeah, i've thought that too. i love tinkering around with wieght and strings that gives me a good reason to go hit. right now i've got a PK black ace tour (stock is 375grams) loaded up at 417 grams 10pts HL with VS tonic 15L gut and its sweet. i added about 9 grams on the upper throat which seems to work well and its not increasing the sw much. the rest of the weight is taped on the butt cap.

Hewittfan22
09-28-2006, 05:45 AM
Can anyone explain it to me how to add weight under the butt cap and why do so many people add weight in their handel, whats the benefit of that, i just added 24 grams at 3 and 9 12 grams on each side, and just two strips of gamma lead tape on the handle.

Hewittfan22
09-28-2006, 05:46 AM
i like it head heavy cause its more powerful, but i cant imagine swinging my racquet with that much weight in your handle

MaxT
09-28-2006, 01:53 PM
I added 14g to handle, 14g to 9/3. Swing is too slow, I plan to take 4g off 9/3 to make it 14g and 10g. If still too heavy, will make it 14g and 7g.

I forgot what the purpose is for adding weight to the handle. Can anyone educate me? Thanks.

Amone
09-28-2006, 03:06 PM
MaxT - The purpose of adding weight at the handle is to reduce the bang for your buck (read: power), and to lower the balance point.

Hewittfan22
09-28-2006, 08:13 PM
reduce the bang for buck?? what do you mean?

MaxT
09-29-2006, 07:10 AM
reduce the bang for buck?? what do you mean?

Yeah, can you elobrate? How can it make racquet less powerful?

I put 14 g at handle, 7 g at 9/3, does this make sense? I want a more stable racquet, friendlier to elbow, and yet easy to swing. I am wondering how this 14 g at the handle help me.

Thanks.