PDA

View Full Version : After striging the mains should they all have the same pitch?

pmata814
09-26-2006, 08:42 PM
Has anybody tried this? If you pluck each parallel main, after your finished stringing, they should have the same pitch shouldn't they? I strung the mains on my first racquet ever just now... but when I compared the pitch on each parallel main (ex.1L 1R; 2L 2R) the pitch varied quite a bit after the 4L &4R. Especially on the last two mains. This tells me there is a difference significant difference in tension between the two. I'm hoping i'll get better at it because this my first stringing ever. But I'm just curious as to how close the pitches are for those who already have experience stringing. Any thoughts on this?

(But then again... I guess you'd need a musical ear to tell the difference anyways ;) I'm a choir director so I have a trained ear and the last two mains are off by a half step. Aproximately 'D' on one and 'E' flat on the other.)

jasonbourne
09-26-2006, 08:47 PM
Before you start the crosses or after you complete the mains and tie offs, assuming you're stringing 2-piece, press down on two mains simultaneously starting from outside in until you reach L1 and R1. This can help equalize the tension on each main.

dancraig
09-26-2006, 08:54 PM
When I first started stringing, I used a Klippermate. I would do the "pitch" test on the mains and they would usually be very close. When I "upgraded" to a crank machine, I was a little surprised to learn that the Klippermate drop weight machine was really more accurate than the lockout machine. Now I realize that it is generally common knowledge that a drop weight, used by a competent stringer, is actually more true than a crank. I still prefer the crank though. I don't think the tiny difference in tension is discernable by anyone.

fishuuuuu
09-26-2006, 09:28 PM
When I first started stringing, I used a Klippermate. I would do the "pitch" test on the mains and they would usually be very close. When I "upgraded" to a crank machine, I was a little surprised to learn that the Klippermate drop weight machine was really more accurate than the lockout machine. Now I realize that it is generally common knowledge that a drop weight, used by a competent stringer, is actually more true than a crank. I still prefer the crank though. I don't think the tiny difference in tension is discernable to anyone.

I noticed that with my lockout too. But don't tell my customers, a lockout helps me get more volume!

Kevo
09-26-2006, 09:37 PM
The strings lose tension immediately. So depending on the string and the rate at which the tension drops, you should expect some difference between the two sides since they were not strung at the same time. In my experience I have seen the pitch get pretty close with some strings, but it's never been exact.

snoflewis
09-26-2006, 10:40 PM
The strings lose tension immediately. So depending on the string and the rate at which the tension drops, you should expect some difference between the two sides since they were not strung at the same time. In my experience I have seen the pitch get pretty close with some strings, but it's never been exact.

i have experienced the same as well

pmata814
09-26-2006, 11:19 PM
thanks for the replies! I just finished stringing my first racquet (Ti Radical MP). It took me 3 hrs and it ended up like crap. Worst thing is I don't even know what I did wrong!! I skipped the correct mains as indicated in the pattern by racquettech.com. By the 3rd cross I knew something was wrong because they looked very uneven... but since I couldn't figure it out I went ahead and finished it and I ended up with an extra grommet at the throat and very crooked crosses. No matter how hard I looked I couldn't figure it out. I cut them out and I'll give it another go tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have better luck.

diredesire
09-27-2006, 12:20 AM
thanks for the replies! I just finished stringing my first racquet (Ti Radical MP). It took me 3 hrs and it ended up like crap. Worst thing is I don't even know what I did wrong!! I skipped the correct mains as indicated in the pattern by racquettech.com. By the 3rd cross I knew something was wrong because they looked very uneven... but since I couldn't figure it out I went ahead and finished it and I ended up with an extra grommet at the throat and very crooked crosses. No matter how hard I looked I couldn't figure it out. I cut them out and I'll give it another go tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have better luck.

Chances are you mismounted the frame, and it was off center on either the top, bottom, or both.

As far as pitch, nothing is "perfect," but mains that are equidistant from the frame edge should sound very similar. Chances are if you mis-mounted, the string length was different, thus causing the difference in pitch.

Bent
09-27-2006, 12:28 AM
Nevermin about the failed string job. I think most of us did this in the beginning.

You will soon be faster and better.

On my first string job, i mounted the frame directly on some metal on the stringer and chipped two big pieces of paint on one of my rackets

dozu
09-27-2006, 05:25 AM
if all mains are strung at the same tension, certainly you'd have different pitches as the lengths vary.

do proportional stringing and you have a more consistent pitch, and you will feel the effect on the court as balls hit off center actually react more like hit on the sweet spot.

LttlElvis
09-27-2006, 07:18 AM
Theoretically, if all things are equal and balanced, a pitch test should work. However, I find this too unreliable. So many factors can cause different pitches even though the tension is correct. i.e., uneven grommets, different timing of natural string tension loss, etc.

You can get the opposite string pitches fairly close, but relying on perfect pitch for each string (like stringing a guitar) would drive you nuts and be too time consuming.

thbat
09-27-2006, 10:38 AM
Congrats on your first stringing. Don't worry if it did turn out well, you'll do better. I remember that once I accidentally cut a main string when trimming off the last knot.

I think your pitch difference , especially for the last 2 mains, could be due to the different tension loss at the 2 tie off. You can tension the same, clamp at the same spot but tying off 2 same knots, with the same amount of tension loss when the clamps are released is difficult. Easy for machine to produce consistant results, the human part takes practice and patience. 'jasonbourne' suggestion to equalize tension is best to minimize the effect.

gully
09-28-2006, 01:19 PM
Aside from the pitch difference, your odd looking pattern might be the result of incorrect mounting, which is easy enough to do depending on the combining circumstance of machine and frame. For instance, maybe the frame was mounted slightly to the right or left of center at top. While many frames mark the spot for mounting at the head and throat, some don't, and an asymmetrical paint job can confuse the issue further.