PDA

View Full Version : POG vs Pure Storm... I never thought...

Bottle Rocket
09-26-2006, 07:49 PM
I picked up a POG Oversize this past weekend. It has strings at least 5-10 years old. The grommets are all broken and falling apart, but I played with the racket anyway. I instantly fell in love... I was hitting consistantly deeper, more penetrating shots. My serve improved because I could truly keep a loose wrist and get natural power. The response was always predictable, the power did not feel artificial, I got out of a swing what I put into it, but most of you already know how good this thing is... Especially you loyal ones who still use it. I'll quit the review.

I've used a Pure Storm for almost a year and had never found anything better, but then this POG came along. Now I don't want to hit with the Pure Storm... I've loaded it up with tons of lead to try and duplicate how I play with the POG, but it isn't the same. I am sure my Pure Storm is over 12 ounces, but the lack of weight distribution in the right places and the lack of feedback may be gtting to me.

Here's what I am looking for comments on...

I never mis-hit the ball with the POG. I am much more conscience of my footwork. I am not late with my swings and for some reason feel more confident in the next swing, even after a miss. The weight I think is keeping me straight and is a big reason for many of these things. My one handed backhand feels spectacular with this thing.

I assumed I would have trouble with the mass and would hit the ball late, but things are the other way around... I have made time for a swing and I seem to just simply play better with it. I pay more attention.

I popped the strings today, the 3rd time playing with it (I've played with it about 10 hours), and had to use my Pure Storm again. I was unhappy the whole time... I went back to my usual ways, but was very aware of it this time. I framed balls trying to make up for bad footwork and using its lighter weight to try and swing faster. I also hit a ton of balls short with too much spin. I also handle hard hit balls much better with this thing.

Is this similar to everyone else's discovery of the POG? Will it prevent me from improving? Is it a bad idea to continue to play with this thing?

Kevo
09-26-2006, 08:32 PM
I would be surprised if you could duplicate the feel that you got with the old strings. For various reasons old strings seem to make any frame better. At least that's been my experience. Try it out again with some new strings and see if it feels as good or not.

dannyjjang
09-27-2006, 01:40 PM
I picked up a POG Oversize this past weekend. It has strings at least 5-10 years old. The grommets are all broken and falling apart, but I played with the racket anyway. I instantly fell in love... I was hitting consistantly deeper, more penetrating shots. My serve improved because I could truly keep a loose wrist and get natural power. The response was always predictable, the power did not feel artificial, I got out of a swing what I put into it, but most of you already know how good this thing is... Especially you loyal ones who still use it. I'll quit the review.

I've used a Pure Storm for almost a year and had never found anything better, but then this POG came along. Now I don't want to hit with the Pure Storm... I've loaded it up with tons of lead to try and duplicate how I play with the POG, but it isn't the same. I am sure my Pure Storm is over 12 ounces, but the lack of weight distribution in the right places and the lack of feedback may be gtting to me.

Here's what I am looking for comments on...

I never mis-hit the ball with the POG. I am much more conscience of my footwork. I am not late with my swings and for some reason feel more confident in the next swing, even after a miss. The weight I think is keeping me straight and is a big reason for many of these things. My one handed backhand feels spectacular with this thing.

I assumed I would have trouble with the mass and would hit the ball late, but things are the other way around... I have made time for a swing and I seem to just simply play better with it. I pay more attention.

I popped the strings today, the 3rd time playing with it (I've played with it about 10 hours), and had to use my Pure Storm again. I was unhappy the whole time... I went back to my usual ways, but was very aware of it this time. I framed balls trying to make up for bad footwork and using its lighter weight to try and swing faster. I also hit a ton of balls short with too much spin. I also handle hard hit balls much better with this thing.

Is this similar to everyone else's discovery of the POG? Will it prevent me from improving? Is it a bad idea to continue to play with this thing?
i think the tension of the string on your pog decreasedddd wayyy down so u hit harder! and it feels good!

neo
09-27-2006, 09:26 PM
Yes, try POG with new strings and tell us how you find it.

stormholloway
09-28-2006, 12:29 AM
I've noticed the same thing about old strings. Is there a way to duplicate this? Are they simply looser?

Stan
09-28-2006, 12:58 AM
The effect the OP is experiencing is not likely the strings, but rather the old-style and solid construction of the 100% graphite POG. In this case I would argue it is more the stick than the strings.